Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whatever Happen To Actually Being A Dispatcher?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ABC123

Can anyone tell me what has happened to being a “Professional” Aircraft Dispatcher?

I am going to show my age here, but when I started being a dispatcher it was a career choice, not something I wanted to do, because it sounded like fun. When I started dispatching, the only thing that was computerized, was the sending of the dispatch release through the airline’s computer system. Any significant weather issues were hand plotted on a map, after receiving the latest coordinates from the latest Airmets, Sigmets, or Convective Sigmets. Flights were rerouted by using the trusty ole JEPP charts. If there was a performance penalty on the aircraft, we broke out the AFM, and used the charts and graphs to figure the penalty, and applying to the performance of the aircraft. Our plot for the routing of the aircraft was on the back wall of the office, and we moved the magnetic strips. Today a majority of work is computerized, and has made it easier for us, but also, LAZY!!!!

Here are a few things I have witnessed in the past few years.

1) A dispatcher actually releasing a flight to a closed airport. Yes, it was in the NOTAMS, as closed, but this dispatcher, called the station agent, and not the tower. So, yes to the station agent, the airport was opened. The dispatcher passed this onto the captain, not telling him who he got the information from. And so, although, the airport was still NOTAM’ed closed, the flight launched and diverted back to hub, after being told by center the airport was still closed and no plans on re opening anytime soon.
2) A dispatcher actually telling a captain he had no idea why a major east coast hub was ground stopped, for arrivals and departures, because he saw nothing significant on his radar. Nothing significant, was a line of thunderstorms, with tops of FL600 to the west of the field
3) After the weather at major hub, dropped below landing mins, the dispatchers, either, giving the crews the wrong information, such as the RVR for the wrong runway, they were not even using for the approach, or not even advising the crews on the flights still enroute, via ACARS, the weather situation.
4) Hearing a dispatcher state why should he reroute a flight around an area of severe thunderstorms, because ATC will do it.
5) Informing a dispatcher that was relieving me of duty, of an MEL item that required it to be reflected on the performance, to be told, “why, the crew can figure this out”.

Look people, we are regulated by the FAR’s of what our duties are, and one of them is not being on the internet looking at “My Space”, or the latest score of the big game that is on, or worrying that the television, that is suppose to be on the “Weather Channel” can get reception for that days big game.

My company is currently in contract negotiations with the dispatch union, and yes, we want more money, but I am sorry, why should we get more money, when the job we are suppose to be doing, is not being done.

So, once again, what ever happened to the Aircraft Dispatch profession?

Look people, we are regulated by the FAR’s of what our duties are, and one of them is not being on the internet looking at “My Space”, or the latest score of the big game that is on, or worrying that the television, that is suppose to be on the “Weather Channel” can get reception for that days big game.

Just out of curiosity...did you post this from work?

Not saying I disagree with you. Things are missed sometimes with the internet readily available for our surfing pleasure. Just saying that surfing with a little moderation and as long as you can pay attention to your flight following/weather issues is all fine and dandy.

The guy that took the station agent's word that the airport was open...should be beaten.

If I've learned anything in my short dispatch career...it is "NEVER trust a flight crew to figure anything out for themselves...and NEVER trust the station to know what they're talking about or to pass on a message".

Last edited:
Your right on the money, computer flight plans have made the job much quicker. That should mean dispatchers have more time to check notams, field conditions,and anything else. Unfortunatly the airlines see it as a reason to put more flights on our desk. Please dispatchers, no matter how many flights you have, do the job right and check whatever you need to check before moving on to the next one. The planes will be safely on the ground untill you get to there release.

I still have my whiz wheel just in case I can find an airline that only releases 5 flights a day the good ol' fashioned way!

Just out of curiosity...did you post this from work?

Not saying I disagree with you. Things are missed sometimes with the internet readily available for our surfing pleasure. Just saying that surfing with a little moderation and as long as you can pay attention to your flight following/weather issues is all fine and dandy.

The guy that took the station agent's word that the airport was open...should be beaten.

If I've learned anything in my short dispatch career...it is "NEVER trust a flight crew to figure anything out for themselves...and NEVER trust the station to know what they're talking about or to pass on a message".

ROTFLMAO !!!

Can anyone tell me what has happened to being a “Professional” Aircraft Dispatcher?

I am going to show my age here, but when I started being a dispatcher it was a career choice, not something I wanted to do, because it sounded like fun. When I started dispatching, the only thing that was computerized, was the sending of the dispatch release through the airline’s computer system. Any significant weather issues were hand plotted on a map, after receiving the latest coordinates from the latest Airmets, Sigmets, or Convective Sigmets. Flights were rerouted by using the trusty ole JEPP charts. If there was a performance penalty on the aircraft, we broke out the AFM, and used the charts and graphs to figure the penalty, and applying to the performance of the aircraft. Our plot for the routing of the aircraft was on the back wall of the office, and we moved the magnetic strips. Today a majority of work is computerized, and has made it easier for us, but also, LAZY!!!!

Here are a few things I have witnessed in the past few years.

1) A dispatcher actually releasing a flight to a closed airport. Yes, it was in the NOTAMS, as closed, but this dispatcher, called the station agent, and not the tower. So, yes to the station agent, the airport was opened. The dispatcher passed this onto the captain, not telling him who he got the information from. And so, although, the airport was still NOTAM’ed closed, the flight launched and diverted back to hub, after being told by center the airport was still closed and no plans on re opening anytime soon.
2) A dispatcher actually telling a captain he had no idea why a major east coast hub was ground stopped, for arrivals and departures, because he saw nothing significant on his radar. Nothing significant, was a line of thunderstorms, with tops of FL600 to the west of the field
3) After the weather at major hub, dropped below landing mins, the dispatchers, either, giving the crews the wrong information, such as the RVR for the wrong runway, they were not even using for the approach, or not even advising the crews on the flights still enroute, via ACARS, the weather situation.
4) Hearing a dispatcher state why should he reroute a flight around an area of severe thunderstorms, because ATC will do it.
5) Informing a dispatcher that was relieving me of duty, of an MEL item that required it to be reflected on the performance, to be told, “why, the crew can figure this out”.

My company is currently in contract negotiations with the dispatch union, and yes, we want more money, but I am sorry, why should we get more money, when the job we are suppose to be doing, is not being done.

So, once again, what ever happened to the Aircraft Dispatch profession?

Welcome to the 21st century and how companies treat their employees. It sucks, huh?

The aircraft dispatcher job has become diluted. Most new dispatchers I've seen are pilot wannabe's or CTI candidates just biding their time until they get "the call". For the most part, we're overworked and I think that's why you see the "I don't give a rat's ass" attitude you speak of. No one knows or cares about what we do. It's as simple as that. We're just warm bodies out there draining the company's cash away. Eventually, they'll figure out some way to outsource us at the regional level and we'll be out of a job.

Simply put, this job used to be important. Now it's just a liability for these cheap ass airlines.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 21st century and how companies treat their employees. It sucks, huh?

The aircraft dispatcher job has become diluted. Most new dispatchers I've seen are pilot wannabe's or CTI candidates just biding their time until they get "the call". For the most part, we're overworked and I think that's why you see the "I don't give a rat's ass" attitude you speak of. No one knows or cares about what we do. It's as simple as that. We're just warm bodies out there draining the company's cash away. Eventually, they'll figure out some way to outsource us at the regional level and we'll be out of a job.

Simply put, this job used to be important. Now it's just a liability for these cheap ass airlines.

spot on.

Couldn't be more true. There are quite a few individuals in our office who have the same "I don't give a rat's ass" attitude when it comes to dispatching their flights. This pisses me off something fierce and to be truthful its downright dangerous sometimes. Peoples lives are at stake here people. Crews can't and wont catch all the mistakes and that is why we are here to try and make sure nothing is overlooked. Two/three heads are much better than one dont you think?

As far as those worthless-souls out there, if you don't like the job enough to do it right LEAVE! Please, I wouldn't mind moving up a few spots in seniority.

Latest resources

Back