• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Would You Do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get the gov't cheese first! The retirement age is likely going to be 65 anyway. In the mean time, get your ratings at a local FBO, build time by CFIing or the like part-time. You can build enough time over the next 6 years to walk into a regional when you retire.

I realize that I'm hardly the voice of experience here, but, fwiw, if I had your times and a/c experience (i.e. CE-550/B-400), I doubt very much that I'd even bother with the airlines at all. I'd probably look for some good part time 91 stuff, and then when you retire you could look for a longer-term 91 job, that is unless you absolutely can't stand your current job. In that case, I'd probably start looking at fractionals rather than regionals... After all, flying is flying, whether there's an airline logo on the plane or not. If you don't have the kind of time that fracs want, then work on building it up.

And remember, 49 is still a relatively young age and at that point you would have a lot of time to do other things... like fly jets.

Hope this helps.

-Goose

If you currently had a secure civil service government position that you could retire from with a full pension in (6) six calender years would you give that up for a flight crewmember position with Pinnacle Airlines, or for any airline for that matter at this point in time?

Absolutely-positively No.

With the age limit going to 65, you will have no problem getting on with somebody in the future, and you will have that huge safety net of a pension to fall back on and/or supplement your meager starting wages.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth (not a whole lot).

If you currently had a secure civil service government position that you could retire from with a full pension in (6) six calender years would you give that up for a flight crewmember position with Pinnacle Airlines, or for any airline for that matter at this point in time?

If I stay with the civil service position I will be 49 years old at retirement. At that age what does anyone think my chances of being hired by an air carrier would be then?

Any feed back from people in the industry would be appreciated.
lol crap dude don't do it.

Depends...

If your "civil service" job is testing the friction coefficient of condoms on nubile swimsuit models for the Bureau of Standards...let's swap!

If it's lick-cleaning proctoscopes at a Washington DC Free Clinic, I'd bail...

The fact that you're considering it tells me you aren't too thrilled with your current position...or your chances for advancement. Either that, or you work with dicks.

If I stay with the civil service position I will be 49 years old at retirement. At that age what does anyone think my chances of being hired by an air carrier would be then?

Good. No question.

Alas, my friend...you'll get a lot of feedback! A lot of folks here break squelch too easily (me included!).

Two words: law school.

Well, as much as civil service sucks, I would stick it out and get the pension. Six years will go by so fast and you won't have to be sitting at a regional with a sh!tty schedule kicking yourself for not going for the pension. You're still young enought to have some good years of flying left if thats what you want. I recently took a civil service gig maintaining the C-17 and to be honest I hate it. It's the most boring job I've ever had and I only took it for the security and schedule. Things were just getting too unstable at my last job(ASA) and the job with Uncle Sam gives me plenty of time for school.

I was in your position about 7 yrs ago. I have the pension and currently fly corporate. That pension will see you through furloughs and the like. Pay at the regional level is not good and it will take several years at one to equal the pension. I was hired by a regional at the age of 49 but later returned to corporate. Good luck with your choice.

Latest resources

Back