What Would You Do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CAPTAINAMERICA

If you currently had a secure civil service government position that you could retire from with a full pension in (6) six calender years would you give that up for a flight crewmember position with Pinnacle Airlines, or for any airline for that matter at this point in time?

If I stay with the civil service position I will be 49 years old at retirement. At that age what does anyone think my chances of being hired by an air carrier would be then?

Any feed back from people in the industry would be appreciated.

excellent, the world growing pilot shortage will allow anyone with a license toget a job.

If you have to honestly ask this ? you must not like your current job. I just wish I could find a good job with full Gov pension. Wait your six years and then decide if you want to get into this messed up industry.

Wait......you'll be very disappointed if you get in this mess now, like he said jump in 6 years down the road if you still want to at that time

If you currently had a secure civil service government position that you could retire from with a full pension in (6) six calender years would you give that up for a flight crewmember position with Pinnacle Airlines, or for any airline for that matter at this point in time?

If I stay with the civil service position I will be 49 years old at retirement. At that age what does anyone think my chances of being hired by an air carrier would be then?

Stick it out...financially security is tough to find during your first 5 years of being in the airline world, and the unlucky are never able to find it. Get the pension, and nose around for corporate gigs, perhaps, or instruct?

Whatever you choose, follow your heart, but use your head...Good luck.

How much do you want to be an airline pilot? It is one of those things that you'll regret later in life that you never achieved? I say do it. You can always go back to the gov't. civil service time is all cumalative. 17yrs with the airlines, some part time work with the gov't, and a few years of full time, You could still retire with gov't bennies at the usual age (60s).

FWIW, I left with 3 years under my belt as a GS-12.

I am in the same boat. Started at age 19, almost have 25 years in. I am ready for a change. My biggest concern is not putting my family in a bad spot. Those "government jobs" are not always what they are cracked up to be eh? I am doing a little part-time corporate flying in a Citation Bravo and really enjoy it. So the passion for aviation is there, just want to make sure the T's are crossed and the I's dotted! Good Luck!

Griff

Next time the thought of giving up that full pension occurs to you I suggest the following action.

Step 1. Locate section of wall approx 24"x24"
Step 2. Bang your head against that section of wall
Step 3. Repeat as necessary

Latest resources

Back