• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Would You Do ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you were that good at "boom" forecasting, why aren't you flying your own jet airplane around with stock market "boom" money? I though naught.
naught doin bad, still livin the dream of a five year old.

Stay.....you may never get back that kind of seniority. Most respectable regionals will pay close to major pay after long enough. If thats not reason enough consider the next recession will your seniority protect you or will you see the street.

I'm all for a measured dose of optimism combined with realism, but this type of post contributes to the degradation of the profession. So many shiny jet types at the various flight schools are going to get the same twinkle eyes as the pilots who've been been fed the same type of lineage over the last 10 years. Oh times are a little tough now, but you just wait, gosh darn it, you'll be able to go wherever you want to! And may not even sit reserve!?!?

This only encourages more fringe types to aim to go to the likes of Mesa and "just here to get my PIC time" so I can get on the hiring boom ASAP. Which in turn brings down the profession. Are you related to Kit Darby? And yes you live in la la land and even if you weren't, this type of post is like some fisherman who's so proud of his potential spot, he brags to the rest of the town. It's not "simple" math; in CRM terms, there are many threats to the future "legacy hiring boom".

Kalifornia,
Enlight me with your thoughts for the next 10 years.....Exactly!
Nobody knows. Not even you. Some people just choose to look at the positive. And no, I don't have jet syndrome. I don't whore myself out just for a flying job. I had a interview with MT ANG, but my wife and 2 kids stopped me from joining. Military was my #1 choice, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice my family. So what should I do to be an airline pilot? What did you do? It seems to me that you went to a flight school and now flies for a regional. It's funny how everybody else settles for less, but not you. You're in the same path that many of us walk but you're somehow better.
Pittful my friend.
"this type of post contributes to the degradation of the profession" Really? I like to think that one day I will improve my pay and quality of life. Many others have done it. Is that a degradation of the profession?
Get a life. You can't really blame your wife for leaving you......

Kalifornia,
Enlight me with your thoughts for the next 10 years.....Exactly!
Nobody knows. Not even you. Some people just choose to look at the positive. And no, I don't have jet syndrome. I don't whore myself out just for a flying job. I had a interview with MT ANG, but my wife and 2 kids stopped me from joining. Military was my #1 choice, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice my family. So what should I do to be an airline pilot? What did you do? It seems to me that you went to a flight school and now flies for a regional. It's funny how everybody else settles for less, but not you. You're in the same path that many of us walk but you're somehow better.
Pittful my friend.
"this type of post contributes to the degradation of the profession" Really? I like to think that one day I will improve my pay and quality of life. Many others have done it. Is that a degradation of the profession?
Get a life. You can't really blame your wife for leaving you......

Generalities don't help the situation - not every flight school and every airline is the same and will be easily attainable. My start in this profession began before the high (very high) rise in training costs and the crushing loss in legacy positions and overall degradation in quality airline pilot positions. And my wife leaving me? This must be some Brazilian cultural attempt at an insult that's lost in translation?

In plane speak, you don't zone out with wishful positive thinking during the takeoff roll in the belief that nothing can go wrong. The last hiring boom (2004-2006 range) created a boom in $20,000 first year mostly maxing at $35,000 or so annual for FO jobs at the "regionals" and a small number in relation "legacy" jobs if you also include SWA, UPS, and Fedex. Many if not most of those jobs = furloughed. That's on top of the vast massive mushroom in flight training expenses (100 grand now many with 150 grand loans ($500 to $700 and more a month student loan payments for years and years and years) for a position that pays $2,000 a month take home pay. I certainly don't feel positive about this profession when new comers get suckered in to believing that this amount is of little concern, because we're facing a "legacy hiring boom". Something I'm sure all the major flight schools like to promote.

No can predict future airline economics just like no one can predict the exact weather for tomorrow. But I can bring along a jacket a lot easier than someone gambling their financial well being and career choice on the reckless Kit Darby like idea that tomorrow is going to be warm and sunny for the future airline pilot. It hasn't been warm and sunny since the mid to late 90s and that didn't last for very long. Just as the previous boom during the mid to late 80s didn't last long. Post deregulation history is thus very muddied. You want to at least help the profession have a sunnier outlook? Then quit selling this profession like it was investing in gold these days as a supposed boom career waiting for the masses. That would help again with the deregulated economical environment maybe keep the supply level of pilots a little better in check and not contributing to the race to the bottom Pilotyip so gleefully enjoys.

Wrong

That would help again with the deregulated economical environment maybe keep the supply level of pilots a little better in check and not contributing to the race to the bottom Pilotyip so gleefully enjoys.
I have nothing to do with your race to the bottom, you are playing in the race to bottom all by yourself and it is my fault? BTW there was no hiring boom in 2004, maybe in late 2006 it started. I had furloughed NWA and DAL pilots working with me up until 2006. They were all great guys and I am fortunate our paths had crossed. Most of them flew because they liked to and that is why they came to work wit hme during thier furlough. You gonna bad mouth the DAL and NWA pilots for being bottom feeders?

Last edited:
What are your reasons for not wanting to leave a regional? I was in your same situation. I could not be happier after leaving for Delta. Don't look at the short term (temporary paycuts, etc). You have 30 plus years of flying left. As my wife told me, you didn't get started in this field just to stay at a regional. Don't cut your goals short.
It's really a crap shoot. If you like your current job and it meets your financial needs then be picky about where you move to. Some of the legacy carriers are not really steps up anymore so pick and choose carefully. Good luck.

Stay.....you may never get back that kind of seniority. Most respectable regionals will pay close to major pay after long enough. If thats not reason enough consider the next recession will your seniority protect you or will you see the street.

Let me guess? You have a DUI? How about an FAA bust? You are justifying living in the minor leagues. As soon as I can do it, I am outta here towards a legacy and a better life. The key is when you get hired, and I am planning for the beginning of hiring. The regionals are dying.

I have nothing to do with your race to the bottom, you are playing in the race to bottom all by yourself and it is my fault? BTW there was no hiring boom in 2004, maybe in late 2006 it started. I had furloughed NWA and DAL pilots working with me up until 2006. They were all great guys and I am fortunate our paths had crossed. Most of them flew because they liked to and that is why they came to work wit hme during thier furlough. You gonna bad mouth the DAL and NWA pilots for being bottom feeders?

Yea, you absolutely contribute to the race to the bottom. Your principle reason for being on here is to convince pilots not to ask or expect more pay or better work contributions. Just treat this career now as a non-serious hobby. Even the pathetic notion you've made before that all pilots should move to Yip County, Michigan and commute to all over the country in order to live on the cheap. Not to mention, your prior statements that "high school dropouts" can fly professionally just fine. And then "they came to work wit hme during their furlough". This must be some Chuck Yeager attempt at self promotion.

Latest resources

Back