Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What would the first year at United be like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Densoo, that program wasn't open to all AFSCs. My wife, a nurse, was not eligible for early retirement. I doubt that many 11xx AFSCs will be eligible.

"What would the first year at United be like?"

For sure, it would be Glorious...As it has been at ALL Airlines, for the last 100 Years.

You should expect ( At The least ) :

- Cake. Lots of Cake.

- Departures. NOT before 11am Local, w/a light Brunch served beforehand

- 20 year old New-Hire F/A's with IQ's in the high 80 Range.

- Free Cocktails. Everywhere. Always.

- Limousines.

- "Panties...Glorious Panties ! ". Thrown at YOU, from admiring Women, from all directions, in every City of the World.

- Arrivals. Coincident w/Cocktail Hour In most major Cities of The World.

- " Hats...Glorious Hats! " . Worn by YOU, to distinguish yourself from "Commoners", and identify yourself as a "Rock-Star", in every City of The World.

Grown Men will grovel at your feet, and Women will cry. Love will be of your Choosing, and you will dictate to many Members, of many Civilizations....Exactly, how things will occur in any given Day.

These are just a FEW examples of how the " first year at United" will be.

All in all, it seems like an OKAY Program.

I may have missed a few things. I think at Delta they have Ice Cream too... But , you would have to check with The General on that.

So maybe, check that out before you even waste time applying to United.

"God Bless Us ALL. EVERY ONE!. " - Tiny Tim

YKW

Last edited:
Densoo, that program wasn't open to all AFSCs. My wife, a nurse, was not eligible for early retirement. I doubt that many 11xx AFSCs will be eligible.
Maybe next year! It's feast or famine with the pilot staffing, from extension bonuses to a gray hair program every 10 years.

Last edited:
"What would the first year at United be like?"

For sure, it would be Glorious...As it has been at ALL Airlines, for the last 100 Years.

You should expect ( At The least ) :

- Cake. Lots of Cake.

- Departures. NOT before 11am Local, w/a light Brunch served beforehand

- 20 year old New-Hire F/A's with IQ's in the high 80 Range.

- Free Cocktails. Everywhere. Always.

- Limousines.

- "Panties...Glorious Panties ! ". Thrown at YOU, from admiring Women, from all directions, in every City of the World.

- Arrivals. Coincident w/Cocktail Hour In most major Cities of The World.

- " Hats...Glorious Hats! " . Worn by YOU, to distinguish yourself from "Commoners", and identify yourself as a "Rock-Star", in every City of The World.

Grown Men will grovel at your feet, and Women will cry. Love will be of your Choosing, and you will dictate to many Members, of many Civilizations....Exactly, how things will occur in any given Day.

These are just a FEW examples of how the " first year at United" will be...

"God Bless Us ALL. EVERY ONE!. " - Tiny Tim

YKW
OR, a recent trip, with a redeye, two day-sleeps, modified trip to an FAR min rest, double deadhead "sharing" an armrest with the large folks, and getting abused by customs in Mexico. They must be in a diplomatic pissing contest with U.S. because while all the passengers headed for the exit entire flight crew enjoys the complete hands on rifle through the bag inspection. But I like your trip better--except for the hats.

Last edited:
To continue, in the 1980s the Pentagon asked a couple of professors at USAFA to make an economic comparison of an airline career vs a military career to see if they could mitigate a cyclical shortage of military pilots. Their study showed that a if a military pilot resigned (early retirement didn't start until the 1990s) even as late as 19 years in the service, and immediately got a legacy airline job, that one year of greater seniority (in cumulative incremental advantage of pay scale on larger equip earlier, left seat earlier, etc) would in the end offset the entire lifetime of retirement pay they would have forfeited.

After this made its rounds at the decision-maker level they to realized they could not compete head-to-head, but they did start the pilot incentive/bonus program of $12k/year, up to six years, 50% paid on the day of signing and the other 50% distributed evenly and annually over however many years signed up for. It got folks to extend their commitment past their 0-4 board and, once that far, many stayed for 20.

Caveats: airlines paid a lot more when this study was done, pilots got a dump truck full cash at retirement, and I don't think it considered medical benefits as I believe it was assumed the airline would provide them.

PS, the professors, both military pilots, resigned shortly after.

Thanks for all of the info guys. I know 21 months out is a bit long. United is one of my top choices due to domicile locations and of course it's also the one in which I have no internal references.

I got that same "military vs civilian" pilot speech too... back in 2000. Glad I stayed in.

Wave, you've been full of 'compliments' toward Delta and your new coworkers from AT. Is it really necessary to spread your 'compliments' to another airline?
Are you trying to compete with Gen Lee as the most 'popular' poster on this board?

Oh, I really don't come on this board to be popular- and it's not like UAL has been a lot better than delta on voting in more outsourcing while pilots are on furlough
And those who sat in a united class in 98-99 know exactly what I'm talking about-
That said it should be a better run for those hired this time- I'd still save my money, but the career is finally looking up and I wish all the best of luck

Thanks for all of the info guys. I know 21 months out is a bit long. United is one of my top choices due to domicile locations and of course it's also the one in which I have no internal references.

I got that same "military vs civilian" pilot speech too... back in 2000. Glad I stayed in.

Ryan - back in 2000, I received a UAL interview 11 months from terminal leave and was hired with 10 months to go; not sure how things are now at UCH.

Confirmed: many DAL guys hired last month (Oct 2013) do not go on terminal leave until summer 2014.

Just list your earliest TL date as "available" and keep updating!

Ryan - back in 2000, I received a UAL interview 11 months from terminal leave and was hired with 10 months to go; not sure how things are now at UCH.

Confirmed: many DAL guys hired last month (Oct 2013) do not go on terminal leave until summer 2014.

Just list your earliest TL date as "available" and keep updating!

Thanks for providing better information; I threw out 6 months as what I recalled from my experience.

Not sure if Andy already mentioned it, but you and your spouse are eligible for a $48 credit each per month if you don't use tobacco.

Not sure if Andy already mentioned it, but you and your spouse are eligible for a $48 credit each per month if you don't use tobacco.

I didn't bother because Tricare Prime retiree costs less than $50/month and provides great coverage.

Latest resources

Back