• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ill Mitch

I like my oatmeal lumpy
Well, Here is the deal.
I would like to eventually fly for Kalitta (or something similiar) and I have a couple of options and would like the opinion on what to do next.
I am woefully short on multi time and need to bring those numbers up. My total time is pretty decent (6000 range).
I have a couple of opportunities staring me in the face. I am currently employed as a Caravan driver. I am just trying to determine what might be the best route to take.

1. Fly for a frac, get a type rating and be part of a multi-crew jet (even tho it is part 91), log PIC time when I get the chance. But how does someone like Kalitta view that time? Do they want the PIC to be only if you are designated as the PIC on the flight like some of the majors?

2. Fly PIC in a Cheiftan hauling boxes.

That's the jist of it, opinion away please. Thanks guys and gals.

Go for the Chieftan. PIC rules. But do it with an operator that can put you in a turboprop before too long.

Capt1124 said:
Go for the Chieftan. PIC rules. But do it with an operator that can put you in a turboprop before too long.

That's what I am leaning towards. I would probably upgrade to a TP in 9 months to a year. Thanks.

Ill Mitch said:
Well, Here is the deal.
I would like to eventually fly for Kalitta (or something similiar) .

Setting your goals high, I see. Going for the brass ring.

Bottom feeders don't care about what kind of time you have or where you got it. They take what they can get.

I wouldn't sweat it.:rolleyes:

i think you can do better. get degree (if you don't have already) and go #2 as it sounds like more fun. :)

If you don't bite the bullet, make concessions and leave the cushy Fedex Caravan Feeder Operations you will never get out of the Caravan. Your "typed" in it, and once in it, it's hard to get out. It's hard to make that decision because Westair is one of the better companies that you will ever work for (over and beyond the petty BS & whining you hear from time to time - most guys there don't know how good they have it), the Caravans are well equipped and maintained, Fedex runs an efficient and safe operation, the schedule is easy and you are almost always at home every night, and the pay is better than what you would get slogging your way through the regionals. So that makes life VERY comfortable and very difficult to leave.

You might want to consider checking out some of the bigger Fedex Feeder contractors such as Empire that are operating the F27's & ATR's (are the F27's all phased out yet?). The only problem there is that it takes a while to build up flight time in some cases, but you would be working at a quality operation. By that time you might be marketable to some of the Major/LCC's and a number of other operators that will inevitably start hiring again in numbers.

As far as operators like Kalitta, you might have a chance even with your current qualifications. It's all who you know. I met an Atlas new hire in Miami for training, his previous experience was flying Chieftains out of Anchorage. Good for him.

Last edited:
Yank McCobb said:

Bottom feeders don't care about what kind of time you have or where you got it. They take what they can get.

The type of flying they do fits my personality, and hey....gotta have realistic goals. If it leads to something better, cool. ;)

Aim high before you take a Chieftain. Try to get a turbine twin. Air Cargo Carriers, IBC, etc. Or a jet FO with Cherry Air, Ameristar, etc. Another option is flying skydivers. No x-country or IMC, but 10 hours a day, no duty limit, part 91. Again, try for a turbine twin before you take a piston.

Caboclo said:
Aim high before you take a Chieftain. Try to get a turbine twin. Air Cargo Carriers, IBC, etc. Or a jet FO with Cherry Air, Ameristar, etc. Another option is flying skydivers. No x-country or IMC, but 10 hours a day, no duty limit, part 91. Again, try for a turbine twin before you take a piston.

I hear ya on that, bro. I'm researching everything, but what I mentioned above is sitting on the plate.
I did skydiving (Twotter) and don't know if I want to go back to that just yet. Especially if it is Mexican Food day. Know what I mean?

Say what?

Yank McCobb said:

I totally (and almost respectfully) disagree.

I don't know who McCobb works for but maybe he just hasn't heard about the 10,000 jet airline pilots out of work.

Even the so called "bottom feeders" can have their pick of anyone they please. Mr. McCobb might be interested to know that these bottom feeders are currently hiring furloughed United/TWA/AA/USAir pilots.

The job market is super competitive right now (albeit slightly improving).

My advice for Ill Mitch (since his total time is pretty healthy) is to get into an airline style operation as soon as possible.

Yes, PIC time in a Navajo is worthwhile but as a Caravan pilot you've already got the PIC time. Right now you're just short on the multi-time.

Go get the multi time and don't worry about multi PIC until later. Naturally, in a perfect world you'd like to log multi PIC at the same time but sometimes you just have to be realistic. Sometimes you can only check one box at a time.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back