Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What was the worst commuter aircraft YOU have flown?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Metroliner. Bullet-proof airplane, flew well, but hotter than Hades. Would drink several liters a day but never had to pee. In the desert, one measured Metro time by the number of summers. Still, it was the coolest airplane I had flown to that point.

Metroliner. Bullet-proof airplane, flew well, but hotter than Hades. Would drink several liters a day but never had to pee. In the desert, one measured Metro time by the number of summers. Still, it was the coolest airplane I had flown to that point.

We got several used metro's that previously flew for one of Lufthansa's feeders. Somehow they blew out copious amounts of cold air even on the hottest summer days in YUM, IPL, PSP, etc. Unlike the rest of our existing fleet, which earned the Sweatro moniker...:D

Last edited:
Pretty much liked all the airplanes I've flown. That said when we'd put the C402 on to supplement/replace the Be-99 I was less than enthused. It didn't have much room or carry much plus it made me antsy in ice. Of course we were wusses compared to the Beech 18 drivers.
The Beech 99 and Otter were great and the M-298 was nice when everything was working. No worries about being spoiled by automation except, the M-298 actually had a Flight Director.
Roy Clark,not the singer, would have no part of autopilots. He and Dickie Henson were old school when today's old school were new school and they believed in the bare necessities.

Beech 18. God help you putting that twin tailed disaster back on the ground after losing an engine. No yaw damper required, but an autopilot, flight director, hell anything would have been nice. Cold as a well diggers arse in February when you're on the ground since using the heater would cause a puppy somewhere in Indiana to spontaneously combust (or it could have been the wing). Check the gas and fill the oil at every stop, only 7 gal per side, which still wasn't close to that Convair 240 I walked out on before flying it.

Everyone else thinks its cool though, as do I. Airplanes like that build character. If they don't kill you.

Pretty much liked all the airplanes I've flown. That said when we'd put the C402 on to supplement/replace the Be-99 I was less than enthused. It didn't have much room or carry much plus it made me antsy in ice. Of course we were wusses compared to the Beech 18 drivers.
The Beech 99 and Otter were great and the M-298 was nice when everything was working. No worries about being spoiled by automation except, the M-298 actually had a Flight Director.
Roy Clark,not the singer, would have no part of autopilots. He and Dickie Henson were old school when today's old school were new school and they believed in the bare necessities.

+1....Flew the B99, SD 330 and Dash 7 at Henson. All I remember is they were all fun to fly at the time. I was in Henson's first 330 class when the airplane first came out. It felt like real "airliner" after the B99. I also remember envying the Nords at Ransome. They looked like heavy iron at the time when most of us "Allegheny Commuter" types were in 99's or otters.

Latest resources

Back