Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What was the worst commuter aircraft YOU have flown?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

booo

What was the worst commuter aircraft YOU have flown?

Rules:
1) In scheduled service as the scheduled aircraft. Yeah, I flew a single passenger in a C150 to an outstation when the C402 broke; does not count.

2) I don't care what the pax thought of it, pax comfort, usability, appropriateness of the aircraft for the mission, who you flow it for or why, just did you enjoy (NOT) flying that equipment.

3)The "old" guys have the advantage here. Some of you younger pilots will debate the good/bad of the CRJ200 vs the CRJ900, the ERJ145 vs the ERJ190. Old guys will debate the C402, the CASA 212, Metroliner and versions there of, the Twin Otter, Shorts 330/360, Beech 1900 A/B/C/D, Beech 99, Jetstream 3200.

Just entertainment, go for it.

Sorry, meant to throw out the first pitch.

Jet stream 3200. What a joke.

Plastic, simulated rough wood yoke.

Unbalanced control; overly sensitive pitch, lumberjack roll and so short coupled that if the yaw damper was differed it was nauseating, if working, well, still nauseating.

Mechanical nose steering,

Punkalouevers. No air vents, Gaspers, Wemacs, eyeballs..........Punkalouevers.

Direct View windows. Not the ones in front of you, the side ones.

Main baggage compartment accessible only from the air stair, you can board pax or people but not at the same time.

And God forbid 1) the ground crew forget to lock the baggage compartment, 2) the ground crew used the cockpit crews key and did not return it, 3) the cockpit key is missing and you are being line checked by the FAA, 4) the lock fails anyway and the door is swinging in the breeze.

Lift Dump. Meet, what, 13 parameters and the flaps go from like 35 degrees to 70 degrees. Great question for the oral. And a surprise to the crew when it happens.

Mechanical Anti Skid.

Water wagon.

Only air frame that will not support a PT6 engine. For some reason they will self destruct in less than 100 hours on this aircraft.

Garrett engines.........get off the flight and spin them engines to prevent shaft bow.

Belly pod....Has a nice red light on the annunciater panel that says "POD FIRE" Cool ! What does the emergency checklist suggest ? NOTHING!!!!!

Main spar goes through main cabin aisle. So they put a ramp up/down on the floor. and then put a sign overhead that read "watch step" or something like that. It flashed on and off on the ground and went steady when airborne. So people boarding looked up to read the sign and tripped over the ramp.

There is more, just can't recall right now.

But what a beauty the J32 was!

HAH! But then I never flew the Shorts 330!

It's been 30 years since I last flew it. I hated every minute I did. Some of my complaints of it may be a little off , it's been awhile.

Oh. This just the short list!

Last edited:

Unbalanced control; overly sensitive pitch, lumberjack roll and so short coupled that if the yaw damper was differed it was nauseating, if working, well, still nauseating.

Main baggage compartment accessible only from the air stair, you can board pax or people but not at the same time.

And God forbid 1) the ground crew forget to lock the baggage compartment, 2) the ground crew used the cockpit crews key and did not return it, 3) the cockpit key is missing and you are being line checked by the FAA, 4) the lock fails anyway and the door is swinging in the breeze.

Lift Dump. Meet, what, 13 parameters and the flaps go from like 35 degrees to 70 degrees. Great question for the oral. And a surprise to the crew when it happens.

Mechanical Anti Skid.

Water wagon.

Only air frame that will not support a PT6 engine. For some reason they will self destruct in less than 100 hours on this aircraft.

Garrett engines.........get off the flight and spin them engines to prevent shaft bow.

Belly pod....Has a nice red light on the annunciater panel that says "POD FIRE" Cool ! What does the emergency checklist suggest ? NOTHING!!!!!

Main spar goes through main cabin aisle. So they put a ramp up/down on the floor. and then put a sign overhead that read "watch step" or something like that. It flashed on and off on the ground and went steady when airborne. So people boarding looked up to read the sign and tripped over the ramp.

It's been 30 years since I last flew it. I hated every minute I did. Some of my complaints of it may be a little off , it's been awhile.

Good post. Brought back painful memories. But....Nothing on the NTS, strain gauge, forgetting to put the props on the locks?

Mechanical Anti Skid.

Water wagon.

I agree. The Jetstream 3200 while I was at Pan Am/Trans World Express. The best were the deHaviland products. The Dash 7, DASH 8, and the Twin Otter!

Worst Airplane

Mechanical Anti Skid.

Water wagon.

I agree. The Jetstream 3200 while I was at Pan Am/Trans World Express. The best were the deHaviland products. The Dash 7, DASH 8, and the Twin Otter!

The "Sky Pig" CA-212 is on a very short list of airplanes I could care less if I ever flew again.

Dornier 328 turboprop. Needed Hulk Hogan's finger strength to get the props into reverse.

Over engineered piece of high speed German garbage.

Props had to be out of feather to flush the lav. (On the ground you flush by pouring a cup of coffee down there)

Plastic instrument panel was held on by Velcro and would frequently fall off.

Proximity sensors for everything.

Not enough rudder = VMC demo if you got 1 knot slow on V1 cut.

Nope. Didn't like it one bit, and this from a guy who previously flew the Jetstream 3100!

Another vote for the J3100 which we had. No Yaw Damper installed, no ramp in the aisle, just the spar, curtain separating the cabin and cockpit. Impossible to take your hands off the yoke during flight. Like putting a board on a bowling ball and trying to balance on it. A captain stalled it at 30' and it survived with no damage. Oh yeah, remember when the horizontal stab iced up and the stab stalled during the flare? Talk about nose planting it. At least you could turn the TTLs off to get more power. It would flip over during a V1 cut unless you pushed the rudder hard enough to take out all of the slack in the cable and some more to bend the rudder trim tab. Good riddance.

Last edited:

Mechanical Anti Skid.

Water wagon.

Nailed it, I got the meat sweats just reading this. Funny, the Ole Dungbeetle fared better in my mind, but this was the reality!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back