• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What To Wear

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's been a while since I had to participate in this part of the game, but what is the accepted dress to 91 corporate interview. I know it's likely a suit (duh), but is black or blue in...and what about the tie? When I was applying to airlines years back you just HAD to wear a red tie...any advice on the expected dress these days?

Please, save everyone's time, only thoughtful replies (no flame)

Thanks!

Actually, this is a good thread you started. It will show how pilots differ in how they look at the corporate industry in different parts of the country. And it IS different everywhere it seems.

A suit, to me, thats pretty funny. I have never worn a suit and never will to any interview. I wear some dockers and a casual dress shirt like a Polo or nice golf type of shirt, with my Timberland shoes.

I wore that attire at my interview to fly the Boeing 747 too. I was sitting in a room full of ex-TWA pilots, about 40 people interviewed that day, every one of them had a blue suit on. They looked hilarious all sitting along the couch together at Aero Service in Miami. I was the ONLY non-airline, corporate guy with zero heavy time, sitting there with casual dress. I got hired and half of them didn't. The class started 1 month later with 22 of us out of the 40. I can't believe people really think a suit is necassary to get a job. You're getting hired because of your skills, experience, most of the time appearance is key and attitude. NOT by the close you wear.

Even though I was recommended within for the job I recently took and would get hired as long as I didn't kick the CP in the nuts, I went with a golf shirt and dressy blue jeans. The CP showed up in exactly the same attire. HIRED after an hour interview.

To your question: I have personally never ever seen or heard of anyone showing up to a corporate interview in a full blown suit. I'm sure people do, but its not necassary. I guess there are companies that require it and hopefully someone will tip you off about it, but again, if they care what you wear, thats pretty sad and sort of cheesy to me. If you're qualified or have the experience they're looking for, just go in casual dress. Unless of course you find out they require a suit as part of the requirements to get hired.

Maybe I'm just that much different than everyone else. Never interviewed anywhere where I wasn't hired either. Guess a suit won't hurt though.

Good luck.

Last edited:
To Suit or Not To Suit

Actually, this is a good thread you started. It will show how pilots differ in how they look at the corporate industry in different parts of the country. And it IS different everywhere it seems.

A suit, to me, thats pretty funny. I have never worn a suit and never will to any interview. I wear some dockers and a casual dress shirt like a Polo or nice golf type of shirt, with my Timberland shoes.

I wore that attire at my interview to fly the Boeing 747 too. I was sitting in a room full of ex-TWA pilots, about 40 people interviewed that day, every one of them had a blue suit on. They looked hilarious all sitting along the couch together at Aero Service in Miami. I was the ONLY non-airline, corporate guy with zero heavy time, sitting there with casual dress. I got hired and half of them didn't. The class started 1 month later with 22 of us out of the 40. I can't believe people really think a suit is necassary to get a job. You're getting hired because of your skills, experience, most of the time appearance is key and attitude. NOT by the close you wear.

Even though I was recommended within for the job I recently took and would get hired as long as I didn't kick the CP in the nuts, I went with a golf shirt and dressy blue jeans. The CP showed up in exactly the same attire. HIRED after an hour interview.

To your question: I have personally never ever seen or heard of anyone showing up to a corporate interview in a full blown suit. I'm sure people do, but its not necassary. I guess there are companies that require it and hopefully someone will tip you off about it, but again, if they care what you wear, thats pretty sad and sort of cheesy to me. If you're qualified or have the experience they're looking for, just go in casual dress. Unless of course you find out they require a suit as part of the requirements to get hired.

Maybe I'm just that much different than everyone else. Never interviewed anywhere where I wasn't hired either. Guess a suit won't hurt though.

Good luck.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I agree with your thinking (and experience) about interview attire. It IS situationally dependent though based on relationships with the department that may exist, vs. not knowing anyone...and an important item is the culture of the department, too. I think attire would be different for a "mom & pop" outfit vs. a billion dollar company's flight department...but again, like you said, they are hiring YOU, not your ability to dress right.

Does anyone think it would be appropriate to ask the person who calls to set up the interview what appropriate dress would be?

Good Conversation!

Its always better to be overdressed (you can always remove a jacket and tie) than to be underdressed...

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I agree with your thinking (and experience) about interview attire. It IS situationally dependent though based on relationships with the department that may exist, vs. not knowing anyone...and an important item is the culture of the department, too. I think attire would be different for a "mom & pop" outfit vs. a billion dollar company's flight department...but again, like you said, they are hiring YOU, not your ability to dress right.

Does anyone think it would be appropriate to ask the person who calls to set up the interview what appropriate dress would be?

Good Conversation!

No problem. And again, this is just my experience with companies over the past 12 years or so. Just to let you know though, I work for a company that has a net worth of over $6 billion, foreign based company. Very laid back but professional at the same time. They've had Gulfstreams since the first GII's came out, 35+ year history with the flight department. So it doesn't matter how big or small really. I have friends that work at Southeast Toyota, some have worn the suit and some are like me with casual dress, they all got hired over the years. If they like you, you WILL be hired, period.

I think it would be ok to ask the HR department what type of attire they like. I had an interview with Atlas Air (747 cargo gig) and I asked them if I needed to wear the suit. The lady thought it was funny and said, "yeah, basic blue will do." But thats a 121 operator so I guess the suit is expected. Never went to the interview though, just couldn't squeeze it inbetween flying my bid lines.

Like "BoilerUP" said, its probably better to be overdressed. But man, if a company doesn't hire a qualified candidate because they wore nice casual dress clothes, I probably wouldn't want to fly there anyway.

If you have to ask this you probably don't deserve the job...

But last time I checked black suits were the norm... can you even buy a blue suit?!?!

A person comes on this forum because they need actual advice and has to be insulted by you. People like you have to remember that everyone wasn't born with endless knowledge like yourself. If it wasn't for the 5 percenters like yourself life on the road would be great.

I've worn the same navy blue pen striped suit with a dark red tie of some sort to every interview I have been on, and I've always got the job. Don't worry about overdressing unless they tell you what to wear.

Its always better to be overdressed (you can always remove a jacket and tie) than to be underdressed...

What he said!

Recently, I interviewed with a 91 department and due to scheduling, was asked to come to the hangar after I got off the plane to meet with the CP and DO. I was wearing tan dress pants and a button down dress shirt. The next morning, I met with the people downtown. I was wearing a suit. The man walked in, looked at me and asked me to "take the coat off and be comfortable".

Long story short...........Got an offer! Accept next week!

The suit is only there to not take attention away from you. As long as you don't wear something stupid, like a powder blue suit, the suit will be a non-issue.

That makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever. Enjoy life in the CJ series jerk.

Don't listen to some guy who was most likely handed his job! What would he know about interviewing? Check his previous posts, he has a ton of mature answers just like the one he gave you! I hope your interview goes well!

Latest resources

Back