• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What to expect if NMB releases 9E to Self Help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would hope if (yeah, right) 9E was released to strike, that the other ALPA carriers, including DL and NW, would honor the struck work - NOBODY would be flying those routes.

When you are "released" both the company and the pilots are released - that means that the company no longer has to honor the contract it has with its pilots, can hire replacement pilots (Scabs), and stop your health insurance.

However, Delta (should) will have a hard time getting anyone else, save maybe Skywest, from flying that work. Not sure what Skywest's pilot association's agreement with their management says about flying struck work.

The only way they get released is if Obama becomes President, maybe before his 1st term is up. Bush or McCain? Forget it, NEVER happen.

Last edited:
The last I looked, there is nothing in the manual concerning flying struck work at SKYW. That being said, SKyWest's record remained clean during the Comair strike. Even when Delta was increasing frequency and gauge, SKYW did not cover any of Comairs routes - not one.

There's no furlough protection, but a pilot has never been furloughed. THere's no struck work provision but no struck work has ever been flown. They have a record in both cases.

Pinnacle getting released? It is a possibility if Obama gets elected, and appoints two pro-labor members on the National Mediation Board.

If McCain gets elected, you can forget it.

I have a better chance of getting laid by Gossip Girl's Blake Lively than I do getting released by the NMB to self help.

The last I looked, there is nothing in the manual concerning flying struck work at SKYW. That being said, SKyWest's record remained clean during the Comair strike. Even when Delta was increasing frequency and gauge, SKYW did not cover any of Comairs routes - not one.

There's no furlough protection, but a pilot has never been furloughed. THere's no struck work provision but no struck work has ever been flown. They have a record in both cases.

So, if the company gave you the trip, you'd have to fly the trip, or call in sick, and/or risk your job and refuse to fly the trip. This is the problem with not having a Union contract.

I hope you're right.... It would REALLY suck if Skywest's management saw an opportunity to take advantage of a strike. My guess is you ARE right, as if Skywest did that, they'd effectively be making all their pilots (how many do you have now?) scabs, which would make life a living hell for their commuting pilots nation-wide, gates ran by other operators would not be so "keen" on getting Skywest planes out on time, etc. etc. etc.; Not to mention, it would probably be the catalyst for a SUCCESSFUL ALPA vote next time around (and there will be a next time around).

Let's hope it doesn't come to a strike.

That's because Bush was on vacation five days out of seven during his first nine months.
In some ways, things were better that way.

Latest resources

Back