Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flylo

Bearhawk Builder
As a complete outsider and a low time pilot who has no bones to pick with anyone in the aviation industry; I'd like to ask a few questions and make an observation or two (as a consumer) about the current financial state of some of the major carriers
and the relationship of their plight, to their pilots' wages.

FIRST OBSERVATION:

I'm planing a round-trip to Orlando from Chicago later this month so I got these quotations off the internet this morning.

Standard Fare, Refundable: - UAL - $1,446.50 -- -- SWA - $458.00

Lower or Discount Fare ------ UAL --- $666.50 -- -- SWA - $268.00

FIRST QUESTION:

Hummmm, If Bill Gates and Warren Buffet were traveling together, I wonder which one they'd take?

I realize, of course, that I would have to suffer the indignity of downtown Chicago traffic to get to MDW and would miss out on the earth shaking thrill of departing from ORD if I went with SWA. But......

SECOND OBSERVATION:

UAL employs about 10,000 pilots (or did). <I know this isn't exactly right but bear with me> If each one of those pilots is being paid $300,000 per year and they take a 50% pay cut, that would save UAL about $125,000,000 per month.

THIRD OBSERVATION:

UAL announced that they lost $382,000,000 in January. (Let's see....I believe that would still leave $257,000,000 in the RED)

SECOND QUESTION;

Is it possible that something besides employee wages (other than managements', of course) could be the problem?

FOURTH OBSERVATION: (and possible partial solution)

Pilots' wages don't appear, at least to this untutored observer, to be the real problem. If I were a stock holder in UAL I would try my best to get the management team tarred and feathered and them use their charred and fuzzy corpses to fill
potholes in the runway.

THIRD QUESTION:

Why, if September 11th is the problem, is SWA still making money and charging so much less?

FOURTH QUESTION:

Which flight would you book?

Light 'em up!! :D

Hummmm, If Bill Gates and Warren Buffet were traveling together, I wonder which one they'd take?

I would be highly surprised if they would ever be flying on SWA so my guess would be UAL although I am pretty sure they are able to "charter" equipment of there choice around the globe. I don't think "money" is a major concern when they travel.:confused:

UAL without a second thought "if" company was paying for the ticket since I am no fan of SWA at all ... Most consumers want one thing when they look at airfare, that would be LOWEST and CHEAPEST fare, that is why SWA has always done so well.

Why, if September 11th is the problem, is SWA still making money and charging so much less?

First, the airlines were in trouble long before 9-11. Look at how SWA operates and that explains most if not all... They are a "low cost carrier" nothing more and nothing less. You get what you pay for and there are enough Americans who are cost conservative that continue to fly SWA, I just prefer to be not one of them. They also pay there pilots much much less than a UAL or DAL, operate ONE type of equipment (737's), less perks, different route structure's, different business platform, etc, etc, etc, etc, so that also helps keep costs down.- They will always profit whether ya like em or hate em.

I have always enjoyed "service" and "convenience" more than just looking for the cheapest carrier to fly on.

I sure hope DAL UAL and the others are around for years to come.

Alot is personal preference-

3 5 0

I don't have all the answers, but there are a few problems with your math.

Flylo said:

Between NetJets and the MS flight department, those two men might control more planes than United or Southwest :)

If each one of those pilots is being paid $300,000 per year and they take a 50% pay cut, that would save UAL about $125,000,000 per month.

That's the problem with the public's perception of pilot wages. The pilots making $300K are the 777 captains with 30 years seniority. The average wage is much, much lower. I don't mean to say that United's pilots are starving, just that their wages are often overstated.

Can I fly myself?

Stephen

I'm not sure where you got your numbers, but my simple web search yielded different results.

Using 21 day advance purchase numbers, you can go non-stop on United MCO-ORD for $219, or, make one connection and the price lowers to $179.

Southwest was still a little cheaper with a few $169 flights still left or you could take your pick of $229 flights.

Got my numbers from orbitz.com and southwest.com (since they're not listed on orbitz)

you missed the whole productivity thing

It is not the pay it is the productivity. Prior to chap 11, the average UAL pilot flew 35 hours per month and was paid for over 80, so you take his high wage and then you need twice as many of them to do the same job as a SWA or JB pilot. UAL has too many pilots for the routes it flys. The comparison of a JB cockpit cost per hour of $400 and UAL's of over $1,000. It is not the pay killing the majors, it is a productivity gap with the LLC's. UAL needs to cut wages 30% and increase each pilots flying by 50%, which means cutting down the pilot force by 25% to 30%. Then there is the management bashing, if you fired every manager in the company, what would you save, maybe 25M over a year, thats chicken feed. Who would run the company? Did management make a bad decision in giving the pilots there industry leading contract, was that management's doing? Was managment forced into a bad decison by the pilot's holding the company hostage with sick calls and trip delays?

My experience has been that SWA and Jet Blue are the most expensive unless you are bying a last minute walkup ticket.

I can fly LAX-FLL for $219 round trip on AA, Spirit, etc. On SWA and Jet Blue its at least twice that.

I always wondered when I am in one of those nice shiny AA 767s how they could possibly make money charging $200 round trip coast to coast

NEVER Doubt the Power of the Pen!!

I got the above rates off the SWA and UAL sites this morning. UAL has a "fare finder" box in the top left hand corner. I entered the same dates at both sites and came up with the numbers I posted above. I did NOT make those numbers up!

HOWEVER,

I just checked again, to make sure I didn't screw up and lo and behold -- It is now CHEAPER to fly from Chicago to Orlando on UNITED than SWA!!

United : Standard - $302.50 -- Advanced - $231.50

Southwest: Standard - $410.00 -- Special - $268.00

My guess is that somebody with fuzzy stones read my earlier posting and got those rates blasted.

Thanks for the replies. I'm learning a lot. (and apparently so are others)

Ain't this a great site? :D

Actually it's probably just the stupid, inane, and deliberately incomprehensible pricing policy in the airline industry these days. If you can find anybody that understands it, let us know.

FlyingSig said:
I'm not sure where you got your numbers, but my simple web search yielded different results.

Using 21 day advance purchase numbers, you can go non-stop on United MCO-ORD for $219, or, make one connection and the price lowers to $179.

Southwest was still a little cheaper with a few $169 flights still left or you could take your pick of $229 flights.

Got my numbers from orbitz.com and southwest.com (since they're not listed on orbitz)

Well, FlyingSig.....if aviation ever falls through for you, you could always become a travel agent! Looks like you got one of them there computers that gets the good deals!
:)

Re: Re: What to do? What to do?

Stephen said:

That's the problem with the public's perception of pilot wages. The pilots making $300K are the 777 captains with 30 years seniority. The average wage is much, much lower.

I believe that you took the original post out of context. If you continued reading, it said

"UAL announced that they lost $382,000,000 in January. (Let's see....I believe [if pilot wages were reduced to 125,000] that would still leave $257,000,000 in the RED)"

What he is saying that worst-case scenario, if every pilot made $300,000 and each salary was reduced by half, it would barely put a dent in UAL's losses. Since we know they don't make that much, then obviously UAL's financial troubles are not caused by high pilot wages.

Latest resources

Back