• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What to do after the private?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are other alternatives. Work as hard as you can now to get as many ratings as possible, specifically Commercial and IFR. At college, get CFI/CFII/MEI. Then, spend your semesters instructing part time for the college.

Last time I looked ERAU allowed for employees to take 2-3 courses per semester free. UND was somewhat similar. UNO had better benefits. then there were the internships and co-ops. Say you want to find out where all of the skeletons are buried in general aviation. Go be an NTSB intern for a summer or fall semester. How about a Falcon 90 first officer, 6 months, about 200 hours, part time, a stipend, and college credit? One class was a cruise through the US Virgin Islands, a travel study in geology. I turned it down as the flight instruction side was keeping me too busy.

Don't let a college's anal-retentive qualities prevent you from becoming a safer and more experienced pilot. Most colleges will give credit for ratings you have already achieved (36 credit hours or more in some cases). That credit elevates your status in terms of class ranking (frosh, jr, etc). Once you hit junior status, the financial aid from student loans makes a flight college possible.

Now is the time to get smart about financial aid and take the time to apply for scholarships. Student loans reek, but at times become the only way to attend. If you can, get money smart now. (Rich Dad, Poor Dad is a good starting book, anything about the evils of credit cards is another). Aviation is notorious for leaving it's participants out in the cold, without a job, without an income, and in some pretty vile areas too. If you have six months of funds stashed away, that will allow you to conduct a job search without too much suffering. If/when you retire at age 60 or less, it’s nice to have the retirement savings.

Good luck!
Jedi Nein

SkyBoy1981 said:
What this really means is: If your mommy and daddy have money flowing out of their arses, go to ERAU and get your "prized education". If they don't, and you have the slightest bit of common sense, then go somewhere else where you can get the same thing for half the price. The end.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Alex429595 said:
I have no clue what you are trying to say. Learn how to put a sentence together.

"The structure proves far more efficient in making sure all of the students who go through are excellent pilots."

No, it doesn't.

Gee...it sounded coherent to me...perhaps you have to small of a brain to figure it out. Sound it out...maybe that will help you.

SpyFlysDOTs said:
If your folks can afford an aviation university, go for it.
If you can get a full ride at one, go for it.
If your paying yourself, fly on the side and go to a local or state university.

One thing that none has mentioned, is that getting involved, ie long term relationship, married, kids can derail your future plans, so stay celibate!
Wait till you are in your ideal job, if that means majors, then wait till then to get married.
As others have said, get a degree in a field that:
1. You love!
2. You can make a decent living in, if your health goes South and you can no longer pass a physical.

Now this is the reality right here! All of the youngins on this bboard will someday find some hottie (or hunk) and get hitched...get kids and all of a sudden flying the friendly skies isnt that easy. We will all be there...the question is...are we willing to give up flying? or can we make a compromise...flying is great but the reality of it is...10 years from now we will finally have paid off those student loans...and still living in our parents house because we havent had a buck to spare in 10 years! Is this stupid? HELL YES...do we do it anyway? HELL YES! Do we do it without backups? HELL NO! If your going to get in debt that way...go into atc or something...you know something that pays well so if you meet that special someone and it suddenly becomes imparative to feed your wife/husband and your baby on the way...you can actually do it.

Gotta love college kids talking about flying careers.

Kinda like college professors talking about real life.

Camelot's out there somewhere................................

Fugawe

J. C,. another good reason to not go to college to pursue a career as a pilot, a guy who starts flying out of high school normally does not have those problems. He is building time toward a decent job, while the college student is building credits towards a degreee that will not be used. Do the degree on the side, say away from women who want children right away, and live below your means.

J.C.Airborne said:
Im not quite sure what you resent, i didnt say anything inflamatory besides what is clearly obvious to everyone.
I would disagree that a Part 141 trained pilot is "better" than a Part 61 trained pilot.

gkrangers said:
I would disagree that a Part 141 trained pilot is "better" than a Part 61 trained pilot.

I was careful to state that both parts can train bad pilots. i never said that part 141 trains better pilots...i dont think that is true. What i said is that part 141 does a better job of making sure all the students are trained to the same standard...with part 61 you could get an instructor who does a stage will eating a donut and sleeping, the only thing i am saying is part 61 lacks consistency in training. Across the board you have a wide range of people training in part 61...and the standards arent standard in part 61 like they are in part 141. Part 141 assures that ALL pilots who go through the program have gotten all the neccesary training. To be clear, i am NOT stating that part 141 trains better pilots, i am merely saying it is more consistent with their training. SOP provide that security.

Latest resources

Back