What to do after the private?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Noise said:
This is not entirely true, if you are only through private, then yes, you must redo it in an accelerated program (usually around 14 lessons total, including the stage check) However, depending on what ratings you have going in, they may let you skip the private and begin with the instrument/commercial course.

While there are varying opinions on this...the reality of it is...they will at least make you go through a test course which is degrading and just downright stupid.

Slice121 said:
Get your ratings outside of ERAU or UND and go to a real college. You'll save money and have more fun overall!

Really the amount of money you spend depends entirely on how much dedication you put in...you could spend a ton of money at an FBO or a ton of money at UND or ERAU...it doesnt matter where you get your ratings...it matters how dedicated you are. As far as UND and ERAU...i have noticed many pilots have negative opinions about these schools and i just wonder why? From what i have seen of both schools they train very professional and excellent pilots. Some cite the cost as an explanation...well you are only paying for a college education and all your ratings at the same time...that is why it appears more expensive...you are really getting two degrees...a bachelors and all your ratings. Seems like a good deal to me.

Flight training and tuition are totally seperate.

Riddle is approximately $12,000 per semester in tution, fees, etc, EXCLUDING room and food. So you can plan around 30k per year for tuition, room/board, etc....

Prolly near 50k extra for PPL through CFI.

I had my Private before I went to my 141 school and fortunately they would accept a private but nothing above that, so I wouldnt get an instrument rating. Dont bother with the HP or complex yet b/c you can combine those with your future training anyway so why spend the extra 7 hours to get em. I say putt aroundin the 172 or DA-40, whatever suits your purpose. If you're willing to pay extra for the wow factor I'd go with the DA-40, but if cheaps the way stick with the 172. Plus a twin rating normally is done towards the end of your stint as you have more a base of single engine experience to draw from before you double everything. My 2 cents.

gkrangers said:
Flight training and tuition are totally seperate.

Riddle is approximately $12,000 per semester in tution, fees, etc, EXCLUDING room and food. So you can plan around 30k per year for tuition, room/board, etc....

Prolly near 50k extra for PPL through CFI.

Where are you getting the 50K extra...its not extra if you say the tuition and flight training are seperate. I would love to see a cost to cost comparison of all the ratings and comparable hours from someone who did it at anFBO and someone who did it a flight school like ERAU or UND.

After Private?

PFC
Lance Corporal
Corporal
Sergeant
Staff-Sergeant
Gunnery- Sergeant
First Sergeant
Sergeant-Major

Below Private comes:

Navy Ensign and black shoe J.G.'s
All Air Force officers

J.C.Airborne said:
Where are you getting the 50K extra...its not extra if you say the tuition and flight training are seperate. I would love to see a cost to cost comparison of all the ratings and comparable hours from someone who did it at anFBO and someone who did it a flight school like ERAU or UND.
Cuz I go to ERAU. But I do not fly there for many reasons.

The flying works just like an FBO. You schedule a flight with your instructor, you fly, you pay by the hour.

Its just like going to any other college and then going to the local FBO. Cept the local FBO is on the campus, and more strict, and more expensive.

My PPL-CFI is going to cost me around 30K doing all the flying Part 61 at "mom & pop" flight schools. Doing the same flying at Riddle will cost more and net you less flight time.

I like the college part of it, but want no part of the flight department.

Since when does a campus of 13,000 students not qualify for a "Real" college?

Slice121 said:
Get your ratings outside of ERAU or UND and go to a real college. You'll save money and have more fun overall!
skyboy1981 said:
This is the best piece of advice on this thread. If you don't read anything else, please read what I quoted.
Don't rule out aviation schools just because of a few negative opinions on the board. Tuition at UND is VERY cheap especially if you are a resident or can get reciprocity (sp?). It is also a school of 13,000 students, so while you are working on your flight courses, you can also get a degree in anything from Biochemistry to Underwater Basketweaving. As far as fun goes, the 4 years I spent at UND were extremely fun (especially if you like beer, wintertime, or hockey). Most people that went there will say the same. Flight costs may be a little higher, but the equipment/training was top notch. It's about taking advantage of the opportunities available.

Fly as much as you can. Going into any aviation college with a ppl is gonna help you keep it real. So many kids get to these schools with no prior aviation experience and end up being molded into part 141 posers. They know a lot about airlines and nothing about anything else. I would know. I went to one of these schools. (WMU) Learn as much as you can from the outside because once you get to one of these schools you're going to be in a safety and regulation bubble for the next four years.
Im not knocking any of these schools. Like the last guy said they have great equipment and facilities. You also have a complete department at your disposal. There is always someone to answer just about any question you can come up with.
As far as what school to pick that's your choice. I went to a university that happened to have an aviation program. Wherever you go just make sure there's a lot of chicks, good bars and good weather.

You can fly at one of these schools just make sure you don't end up being another cookie cutter pilot.

J.C.Airborne said:

I'll give you a comparison. I spent just under $25,000 to get from a 16 year old kid who wanted flying lessons to a CFI Comm/Multi/Inst through the local FBO flight school. No, I didn't memorize a 100 page book of SOP's and pretend to be an airline pilot with my silly little 1 stripe uniform on every time I went up for a training flight in the 172, but I made it out alright. Combine that with a 4 year degree from a local accredited school and you will easily spend half that of an ERAU grad. Not only that, you can get your degree in something like business that will actually work in your benefit if you ever lost your ability or desire to fly airplanes.

You people can sit around trying to justify spending $120,000+ for a silly aviation degree from a big named school all that you want, but the bottom line is that you don't need it and you aren't going to end up any better off for it. I have the same job as many ERAU or UND grads, and I've already paid off all of my debt. Flame away.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back