What to do after the private?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crism

Due to age, I'm waiting to get my private license hopefully this summer in the 172R I'm currently training in. I've just completed my 2nd solo XC and have to complete night and instrument requirements now. However, I'm thinking for the future. I'll be a senior in high school next August so I have one more year to go of putting around New England before I head to college. I'm hoping to go to a flight college as well.

What do you recommend that I fly during the next year until college after I get my license? I don't think I should go for the instrument because of complications with classes in college where they would make me take the instrument courses again, and therefore waste my money.

A. Flying the local flight school's 172R still (out of PVD)
B. Get my HP up at BED and chug around in a 182T
C. Fly at the local school at PVD in the DA40 w/ G1000
D. Go all out, get my complex in an Arrow, get my twin in a Duchess, and fly the twin VFR around NE.

Any of them would be fine with me as long as im in the air :). I might want to take some people sometimes as well and that R model gets a little sluggish with just 3.

One of my first posts so don't crush too hard :)

Thanks! Steve

Crism said:
Due to age, I'm waiting to get my private license hopefully this summer in the 172R I'm currently training in. I've just completed my 2nd solo XC and have to complete night and instrument requirements now. However, I'm thinking for the future. I'll be a senior in high school next August so I have one more year to go of putting around New England before I head to college. I'm hoping to go to a flight college as well.

What do you recommend that I fly during the next year until college after I get my license? I don't think I should go for the instrument because of complications with classes in college where they would make me take the instrument courses again, and therefore waste my money.

A. Flying the local flight school's 172R still (out of PVD)
B. Get my HP up at BED and chug around in a 182T
C. Fly at the local school at PVD in the DA40 w/ G1000
D. Go all out, get my complex in an Arrow, get my twin in a Duchess, and fly the twin VFR around NE.

Any of them would be fine with me as long as im in the air :). I might want to take some people sometimes as well and that R model gets a little sluggish with just 3.

One of my first posts so don't crush too hard :)

Thanks! Steve

Flight schools such as UND and i think ERAU reccommend that you do not recieve your private pilot certificate because they will just make you redo the training anyway...my best advice to you is discontinue flying until you get to that flight school because you will double your flight costs. Sounds like you have enough hours that getting the license early wont do you any good...in fact it will just be a waste of money because they will just retrain you.

Get your ratings outside of ERAU or UND and go to a real college. You'll save money and have more fun overall!

I'd try to spend most of your flying budget on various cross-country trips to a variety of airports.

You'll get hours, which will be important later, and by flying mostly cross-countries you are being exposed to a variety of new things which will be better experience than repeating the same local flights over and over again. You can also take friends on those trips and possibly get them to chip in a few bucks to help with the cost.

J.C.Airborne said:
Flight schools such as UND and i think ERAU reccommend that you do not recieve your private pilot certificate because they will just make you redo the training anyway...
This is not entirely true, if you are only through private, then yes, you must redo it in an accelerated program (usually around 14 lessons total, including the stage check) However, depending on what ratings you have going in, they may let you skip the private and begin with the instrument/commercial course.

LJ-ABX said:
I'd try to spend most of your flying budget on various cross-country trips to a variety of airports.

You'll get hours, which will be important later, and by flying mostly cross-countries you are being exposed to a variety of new things which will be better experience than repeating the same local flights over and over again. You can also take friends on those trips and possibly get them to chip in a few bucks to help with the cost.
this is what i did to build my time for instrument, and towards the commercial. made every flight a 50 mile xc...

Noise said:
J.C.Airborne said:
Flight schools such as UND and i think ERAU reccommend that you do not recieve your private pilot certificate because they will just make you redo the training anyway...[=quote] This is not entirely true, if you are only through private, then yes, you must redo it in an accelerated program (usually around 14 lessons total, including the stage check) However, depending on what ratings you have going in, they may let you skip the private and begin with the instrument/commercial course.
Either way its a bunch of bull.

Get yer ratings at the local FBO
Go to college and get a degree in something useful- make alot of money
buy a airplane and fly it for fun-as a job, flying, and anything associated with it SUCKS

become a lawyer

I was in a similar situation as you. I had an instrument and most of the commercial manuvers done as well as about 220 hrs when I started college. I contacted the universities i was interested in to see about receiving credit for the ratings and time I had.

Fortunately I found one that gave me credit towards my private and intsrument and a majority of credit for my commercial following a stand/stagecheck with a school instructor.

Good luck

Slice121 said:
Get your ratings outside of ERAU or UND and go to a real college. You'll save money and have more fun overall!

This is the best piece of advice on this thread. If you don't read anything else, please read what I quoted.

Latest resources

Back