What to do after the private?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
J.C.Airborne said:
well there is no reason to get huffy about it...you obviously took an interest in what i was saying when you first took offense to my post and then when i explained my opinion you decided that you agreed with it. See, you still pay attention to me. but you are correct i was out of line. I fell for inflammatory statements and i guess now is as good of a time as any to apologize to the members of the forum for my rash callouse statements.
Mostly Alex, but I had to include you to be fair, no hard feelings.

gkrangers said:
I think you are both out of line and no amount of time in either of your logbooks would get me to pay attention to you.

Im sorry, but I was talking to the original poster, Steve.

And yeah, good for you.

Its time to let this pathetic hijacking of an honest question/excuse for a thread die.

This is a copy of a thread I started on this subject.

How does a 16-year old high school student get from there to the airlines?

First, everyone’s situation is somewhat different. But in general, aiming to somehow have a job as a CFI while in college is the first good idea. If a person can figure out how to get the money in order to get their Commercial-Instrument and Multiengine ratings while in high school they’ll have the battle half won before that first day of college. Students who enter college with all the ratings are light-years ahead of everyone else. While in high school, a 250-hour “controlled” part 61 program is probably the best approach. Such a program needs to be custom designed with the flight school to include 50 to 100 hours of multiengine time within the 250-hours. .

Choose a college with an aviation program and one where you’ll be sure to get a CFI job either at the college or at the FBO. This is a must in order to have spending money in your pocket and to have a feeling of being on the faculty team. In order to get the CFI job it’s probably be necessary to use one semester at that school to train for your CFI certificate. That way the school will get to know you and you’ll be on an inside track for the CFI job.

It’s good to go to an aviation college or university because such schools usually have several aviation clubs. Join these clubs. The students that you’ll meet in the clubs will be your fiends for a life, plus they’ll also provide networking opportunities for later employment. Camaraderie with the other students of similar interest is a very big plus for choosing the aviation colleges.

It is not necessary to major in an aviation degree program unless you’re a total prop-head. For all the reason shown in the “Biggest lie in Aviation” thread, it’s probably better to major in something of your special interest besides Aviation. This will provide a back-up degree.

After graduation you’ll have probably 800-hours and maybe you’ll have picked up some more multiengine time along the way. These qualifications will probably be enough for a regional airline job.

After a few years you’ll be a CRJ or whatever captain. After about 2-years in the captain position you will be qualified for any major airline or corporate job in the world.

Words or caution, don’t commute to a regional job or your life will be a living hell. Most such people come to hate their work so much that they burn out and change careers. Living local is the only way to do the job. Even with the majors, commuting is hell. No time at home leads to failed marriages and other personal problems.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back