What to do after the private?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
J.C.Airborne said:
This is a rant i can agree with in most part, however from what i have seen the professionals trained at these name brand schools are great pilots whom i respect deeply, i harbor no ill feelings to people who get their ratings part 61, but the honestly the structure isnt there like it is in part 141. Not saying bad pilots dont come out of 141 schools...because they do...but personally im a part 141 guy. The structure proves far more efficient in making sure all of the students who go through are excellent pilots.
I resent this post. But I'm sure this has been beaten to death.

Riddle does have an excellent Engineering program, I will give them that much. At least that is an occupation where you can expect for the money that you invested into your education to pay off within a reasonable amount of time, unlike flying airplanes for a living.

SkyBoy1981 said:
If "immersing yourself in aviation" (i.e. getting drunk and partying with a bunch of Top Gun wannabees) every day is your idea of money well spent, then go right ahead. I find it interesting that this argument is coming from some 18 year old kid who doesn't have a clue what its like to have real bills to pay.

Most of my friends rarely drink, and I cant stand that movie myself. Sorry you have a false impression of the university. And guess what? They are MY bills, MY student loans, MY signature on the promissary note. So $#% off!

Alex429595 said:
Most of my friends rarely drink, and I cant stand that movie myself. Sorry you have a false impression of the university. And guess what? They are MY bills, MY student loans, MY signature on the promissary note. So $#% off!

Fair enough. So come back in 10 years when you're trying to pay them off while raising 2 kids on a crappy paycheck while your buds in the Engineering program are living in 3 story mansions in Southern California. Then tell us if it was worth spending over 100 grand to become a pilot. :)

Last edited:
SkyBoy1981 said:
Fair enough. So come back in 10 years when you're trying to pay them off while raising 2 kids on a crappy paycheck while your buds in the Engineering program are living in 3 story mansions in Southern California. Then tell us if it was worth spending over 100 grand to become a pilot. :)

No- not 100 grand to be a pilot. Numbers have already been quoted on the thread, and they aren't 100 grand, and its not just to get your ratings. Its also for your college degree.

But I get it, I get what you are saying. Its a risk that I am willing to take. I am happy being here, happy with what I am learning, and happy with my life. Life goes where it does, and I don't know exactly what I am going to do or what kind of financial situation I will be in. Both my parents are CPAs, one with an MBA, and neither is happy with accounting. It just doesn't satisy them. Im not going to pick a career just for the money. Im also not some idiot who is going to take a job flying a crappy regional penis extender for minimum wage, just because "I love to fly." I will find a balance. It won't be easy, but is anything worthwhile really easy?

Alex429595 said:
No- not 100 grand to be a pilot. Numbers have already been quoted on the thread, and they aren't 100 grand, and its not just to get your ratings. Its also for your college degree.

But I get it, I get what you are saying. Its a risk that I am willing to take. I am happy being here, happy with what I am learning, and happy with my life. Life goes where it does, and I don't know exactly what I am going to do or what kind of financial situation I will be in. Both my parents are CPAs, one with an MBA, and neither is happy with accounting. It just doesn't satisy them. Im not going to pick a career just for the money. Im also not some idiot who is going to take a job flying a crappy regional penis extender for minimum wage, just because "I love to fly." I will find a balance. It won't be easy, but is anything worthwhile really easy?

Riddle is well over 100 grand. That is where all of my negative posts were directed. I retracted all of my comments about UND in a previous post if their costs are indeed significantly lower.

As for the rest, its really a difference in age, maturity, and experience. One day the glamour of flying will wear off and you will be in the same boat with the rest of us. Enjoy the fun while it lasts, thats the only thing I can really tell you.

gkrangers said:
Come on down tonight and come to our party...not gonna find any top gun wannabes amongst us. The whole softball team of a local college is supposed to come too!!!!!:beer:

Sweet! So you guys get to party with lesbians too! Rock on! :pimp:

If your folks can afford an aviation university, go for it.
If you can get a full ride at one, go for it.
If your paying yourself, fly on the side and go to a local or state university.

One thing that none has mentioned, is that getting involved, ie long term relationship, married, kids can derail your future plans, so stay celibate!
Wait till you are in your ideal job, if that means majors, then wait till then to get married.
As others have said, get a degree in a field that:
1. You love!
2. You can make a decent living in, if your health goes South and you can no longer pass a physical.

Latest resources

Back