Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow thanks!

So much healthy info!

So would you guys give me some advice on how to overcome each step with the writtens, gs's, etc?

Like I have been saying, I am about 1/3 through the Kings Inst Course, now what would should I do to learn the CFII and IGI bs basics for the written?
Now what is an FOI, not clicking.

Mind telling what the major differences are between the INST, CFII, and IGI written are?
I wan't to be able to get them all done with one shot - so lots of studying will have to take place.
Its basically 3 birds with one stone! ;)

Thanks fellas!

IGI written

Alaskaairlines said:
Mind telling what the major differences are between the INST, CFII, and IGI written are?
They're really about the same. I believe the CFI-I and IGI might have 80 questions, as compared to 60 for the instrument written. That may have changed.

All three writtens are drawn from the same question bank. That's why you should consider taking all three at once, if not within days of each other.

The FOI is the Fundamentals of Instructing written. That exam is required for any instructor certficate. The reference source is the Aviation Instructor's Handbook. In my $0.02 opinion, the FOI is among the most important parts of the course because you gain insight in how people learn and how to teach.

Re: IGI written

bobbysamd said:
They're really about the same. I believe the CFI-I and IGI might have 80 questions, as compared to 60 for the instrument written. That may have changed.

All three writtens are drawn from the same question bank. That's why you should consider taking all three at once, if not within days of each other.

The FOI is the Fundamentals of Instructing written. That exam is required for any instructor certficate. The reference source is the Aviation Instructor's Handbook. In my $0.02 opinion, the FOI is among the most important parts of the course because you gain insight in how people learn and how to teach.

Thanks!
But is there a seperate ground school for teh CFII and IGI, I believe there is for the CFII, I think I may have some video tapes from Kings.
But do you recommend taking the FOI also at the same time? Does it have much to do with the Instrument course, or is that totally different?

FOI

The FOI relates only to aviation to the extent that it pertains to aviation instructors. It is really more about educational psychology. As I wrote above, absorbing the principles of the FOI will really help you as an instructor. I consider the FOI to be extremely important because its principles really work. You can take that exam anytime.

AGI-IGI

RFtech said:
will ground certificates carry any weight when you go for your CFI oral?
If you're asking if you get any credit for them during the oral, the answer is "no." But don't discount their value.

Ground instructor certificates look good on a resume and just might help you get a job one day. I'm sure my ground instructor certificates helped me get my job at Mesa. Along with flight instructing I taught Commercial ground while I was with MAPD.

I strongly recommend that aspiring CFIs get their ground instructor certificates. Very little additional brain damage is required because of the writtens' similarity. You have to take the FOI anyway for CFI. Moreover, ground instructor certificates are required for Gold Seal CFI, which definitely looks keen on a resume.

Last edited:
Wow..I just found this thread, and it may apply to me too. I'm about to start my instrument training. Guess I should re-evaluate and see if it's feasible for my to get private-multi first.

Interesting post...thanks guys!

SammyG,

its a very indept thread - Thanks to all the great members on this forum, who are willing to give advise to a new pilot.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back