• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Rating after Instrument - COM/ME?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is no written test for the multi, you are already a private pilot, this is considered an add-on rating.
You should be able to get this rating in about 10-15 hours, then start work on your instrument.
The time it will take will be somewhat dependent on if you are enrolled Part 141 or Part 61 and how many hours you have to burn to get to 190 or 250 respectively.
Figure 40 hours for the instrument, knowing that some of that time can be shaved down in the simulator.
Figure about another 40 hours for the commercial, but some of that can be considered time building, you should be able to qualify for the test in quite a bit less than that.

Thats fantastic guys! I will be considering this asap!

If I have 100 hours now, and I add another 15 for multi which is 115, then 40 for Instrument makes it 155hrs and then you say its abot 40 to get Commercial? (thought it was like 100?) if its 40 then that give me 205 hrs and rating complete?
That sure sounds like a doable plan for me!

alaskaairlines- Get with your instructor on the specifics of your training. What I recommend can be implemented in a Part 61 or 141 syallbus. You can double up your lessons if you are progressing fast enough. A certain amount of simulator time is needed to qualify for the 190 hour commercial. Look into that with your instructor.

Thanks, I will do that!

That 190 for the commercial certificate it tt right? I am sure I will have lots more by then - thanks for all the help!

Seahawks

aldassy said:
Bobbysamd, if it weren't for your apparent love of the Denver Broncos, I'd buy you a beer next time you are in Seattle. I read and agree with most of your posts, keep up the good work.
P.S. GO SEAHAWKS!!
At least you guys are out of the AFC West. Holmgren is overrated as a coach but at least he found you guys a quarterback in Matt Hasselbeck, a RB in Shaun Alexander, and a WR in Koren Robinson.

I will take you up on the beverage, my friend. Thanks for your comments.

In my humble opinion,

I think it is better to obtain the ME rating “BEFORE” you have the 250 hours for a comm. ticket.
That is of course if you want to go the Part 61 route. Since you need to accumulate 250 hours anyway,
Might as well use the training for the ME rating “TOWARDS” the 250 hours.
Imagine you are at 250 hours with your SE comm. You will have to add another 20 hours or so just to add a Multi-rating to your Comm. Again, why not use those hours to get to 250? Save yourself some money.
This is how I went about it; 1) Private 2) 50 hrs x-country. 3) Instrument rating 4) ME private 5) Comm. Multi. Another advantage in obtaining your ME private first, is to be able to build multi-Pic time that is required for a Multi-comm. (I think you need 10 hrs of PIC in a multi). If you don’t have your multi private, you can’t claim PIC, so you have to have it first.
You can always add a single-engine rating to your multi- commercial afterward, maybe just the 3-5hours with an instructor in preparation for the checkride. You will meet most of the aeronautical experience for the SE rating by that time too. So at about 260 hours you can begin your CFI training.
But as always co-ordinate with your instructor, you never know how much he/she wants to milk you,
Check out the requirements up yourself in the regs. Just in case you have to defend yourself when your school says you have to do something, and it really isn’t necessary. Good luck!

Thanks for the great advice greyhound!

Appreciate it!

What to do first

The first thing that I would do and I wish that someone had told me is 5 min after you take your instrument written take the CFII written. They are from the same database.

Really? I only have the Kings Instrument course, but how would the CFII be clasified?

I'll definately look into that!

-Dmitry

What to do third

sjflyer said:
The first thing that I would do and I wish that someone had told me is 5 min after you take your instrument written take the CFII written. They are from the same database.
And five minutes after you take the FII written take the IGI written. You'll be taking the FOI written anyway for your CFI, so taking it and the IGI to FSDO gives you an Instrument Ground Instructor certificate.

By the way, ground instructor certificates do not expire. If you ever have a certificate and/or medical problem you can use your ground instructor certificate to teach ground school or sim.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back