• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What, me worry? ($50 oil)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have some of you heard of the term, "Peak Oil?" The World's oil supply has recently peaked; in other words we are at the halfway point.

We have taken out half of all the known oil available on the planet. From this point on, the oil will become more and more difficult to retrieve. The demand for oil is rising exponentially. The U.S. Japan, The EU, China, India are all growing and demanding more oil. The price of oil is NOT going to stay down!

It is my guess, that within the next five years we will see $10.00 per gallon gas at your local gas station.

We can only hope and pray that our civilization won't wait too long to transition to the next energy technology.

Hopefully, they will release some of those reverse engineered, Area 51 technologies to save the day?

Amen Iaflyer,

Biodiesel is the way to go.

Jets, semi's, trains, etc, can operate on biodiesel with little to no modifications.

Instead of providing subsidies for the production of corn and soybeans and then exporting them we could easily convert them for fuel use here.

I'd love to see the look on the face of the international community when the most productive nation in the world cuts their oil imports and grain exports in half!

jarhead said:
You indeed have a good partial solution. There are a lot of car buyers out there that your car would fit nicely with. There are other drivers whose circumstance will not allow for that. There are legitimate needs for large pick-up trucks for the workman, bigger SUV and 4 x 4 for pulling a boat or camper to your favorite camp grounds, etc.
You're right - my car is not the answer for everyone. But imagine if they took the technology and applied it to today's cars and trucks.

The Jetta with a regular 2.0l engine gets these EPA numbers: 24 city / 31 hwy.
The same car with a TDI engine (no other changes) gets 38 city / 48 hwy.

If I did my math correctly, that's around 60% better mileage. Imagine the impact this would have. Imagine spending 60% less on gas to get to work or to go on vacation. I drove from Detroit to Charleston, SC and back this summer. I left home with a full tank, and only had to fill up twice (14 gal tank).

If truck, SUV and 4x4 makers could engineer the same economy into their vehicles, we could save a lot of oil - lower demand should lower oil prices.

iaflyer

I am with you 100% on your conclusions

There is good news about rising oil prices and falling pilot wages - Pretty soon the papers will be reporting that labor is no longer the problem.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back