• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is with DTW clearances?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was told once that because a victor airway or SID is 4 NM either side (might be off a NM or so there), that a specific radial clearance is asking for a greater degree of precision (NM?). That's positively true or a positively creative answer.

Why does DTW in particular (DCA sometimes too) submit PDCs with amendments that spell out the entire SID, radial to radial, and then tell you to fly the SID?

What the fug is the point of a SID if you're going to just spell it out anyway?

Recently, they submitted to us a PDC that told us to fly an amended route which was actually a real amendment to the SID, and then at the end of the entire thing, told us to fly the SID, which was a complete contradiction to the initial instructions. We had to call and bring it to their attention but really I mean wtf?

The SID may need a flight check, perhaps from a pilot deviation or some sort and the SID is cannot be legally filed but the airway may be acceptable.

Why does DTW in particular (DCA sometimes too) submit PDCs with amendments that spell out the entire SID, radial to radial, and then tell you to fly the SID?

What the fug is the point of a SID if you're going to just spell it out anyway?

Recently, they submitted to us a PDC that told us to fly an amended route which was actually a real amendment to the SID, and then at the end of the entire thing, told us to fly the SID, which was a complete contradiction to the initial instructions. We had to call and bring it to their attention but really I mean wtf?

DTW build their sids the same way they build their cars - stuck in the 1990's. I wish every Bravo facility would let CVG learn 'em how to do it.

DTW build their sids the same way they build their cars - stuck in the 1990's. I wish every Bravo facility would let CVG learn 'em how to do it.

It's easy to "learn 'em" when there's no longer any traffic to speak of. CVG=Completely Vacant Gates

Last edited:

Yea right. The same cvg that seems to have 20+ mile finals with 1/4Th of the traffic they had a 4 years ago.

I asked a woman at Cle Center Flight Data that very question a few years back, why all of the radials, and that ZOB center seems to be the only center that still is flying based on slant ancient technology.

Her exact words were "This is ZOB, thats how we roll" She said that is how their ZOB host computer is programmed. Their host is programmed to want the DXO004 radial or whatever, and if it doesnt get it in the carrier filing, it will change the routing to issue the radial...

Our tax dollars not at work..

I asked a woman at Cle Center Flight Data that very question a few years back, why all of the radials, and that ZOB center seems to be the only center that still is flying based on slant ancient technology.

Her exact words were "This is ZOB, thats how we roll" She said that is how their ZOB host computer is programmed. Their host is programmed to want the DXO004 radial or whatever, and if it doesnt get it in the carrier filing, it will change the routing to issue the radial...

Our tax dollars not at work..

Just adds to the confusion if you are not used to their dumba$$, a$$ backwards way of doing things.

Latest resources

Back