Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is the best aviation watch (Zulu time)?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
do you have a link for one of these?

Unfortunately no, but it shouldn't be difficult to spot a decent one in the display case. I don't think I've ever been to a mall that didn't have a Dakota kiosk in there somewhere.

Why spend so much on watches. Conspicuous consumption at its best. \

Asked and answered. :pimp:

I have a Citizen Navihawk that I received as a gift eight years ago. I've had to send it in twice to have the movement replaced. Fortunately, it was under warranty both times and hasn't crapped out since then. However, the experience has left me less than impressed.

What is the best aviation watch (Zulu time)?

Depends on what you mean by "best". Best means different things to different people.

If by best, you mean one that keeps time most accurately, practiacly any inexpensive quartz watch will keep time much better then a 2k-10k swiss "chronometer"

Where will you be when that battery on your quartz cheapo takes a dump?

Where? Well, if I'm somewhere where time is critical, I'll proabaly be someplace where I have access to numerous methods of reliably determining the time. Where will you be when your swiss chronometer takes a dump? ...and don't even attempt to suggest they never fail. I'd be willing to wager that changing batteries in a quartz watch occurs less frequntly than unscheduled maintenece in a swiss watch. Besides, I've never had a battery fail unexpectedly, typically what happens is the watch stops keeping time accurately, and starts keeping time like a swiss chronometer; losing a couple of seconds a day instead of the more normal a couple of seconds a month.

Sorry, you are doomed to abject failure if you're trying to justify a multi-thousand dollar swiss watch on either reliability or accuracy. It's a vanity purchase, plain and simple. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's your money, but lets be honest about what it is: Expensive and unnecessary jewelry.

Here's the difference:

Walk into some of the meeting's I frequently have to with a Casio G Shock on your wrist and you lose. Literally and Figuratively. Rolex, Patek, IWC, Omega, Breguet, Cartier,etc. They may not be the best at timekeeping, unnecessary they aren't; they're essential. I'm not defending the accuracy, my Omega and Rolex have proven to be very durable, they don't lose very much time either.

Here's the difference:

Walk into some of the meeting's I frequently have to with a Casio G Shock on your wrist and you lose. Literally and Figuratively. Rolex, Patek, IWC, Omega, Breguet, Cartier,etc. They may not be the best at timekeeping, unnecessary they aren't; they're essential. I'm not defending the accuracy, my Omega and Rolex have proven to be very durable, they don't lose very much time either.

Canal Street, NYC...

Besides I don't think the Vanity boyz with Ray bans on this message board or in this industry do any "deals" or "meetings"....

I can't remember the last time I used timing for an approach.. that includes the sim. Besides a multi million $$ jet better have a good chronometer in it...

I had a low end "pilot" watch with four sub dials and an E6B. Never used them. The dials were too difficult to use and too small to see...

I use my watch to show up to work on time... observe starter limits (maybe) and stop the microwave whose LCD read out has failed in the crewroom.... and I fly jets... Heck some guys show up to fly with no watch. then there is ones cell phone :eek:

I do like a watch with multiple time zones.... And I have found plenty of quartz watches both analog and digital read out that do...

A Squared... another pragmatic post.... :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back