What is the best aviation movie?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Movies

I dunno if it applies, since the first half is aviation, the rest is space, but I like "The Right Stuff"

12 O'Clock High starring Gregory Peck is excellent. It's well worth its four star rating. Sure wish the TV series would return.

Strategic Air Command with James Stewart is great because of the B-36 and B-47 footage, but is a little sappy at the very end. Great Cold War flick, however.

A Gathering of Eagles with Rock Hudson is an alright Cold War SAC movie, and better than is rated in the link above.

Don't forget The Right Stuff. It did take some liberties with the facts, but they're inconsequential. I don't believe that Chuck Yeager really rode his horse up to the X-1, as portrayed in the movie.

Last edited:
Airplane

The Right Stuff

Always

I like the scenes of the O-2 low level in BAT 21

Last edited:
I will always like Strategic Air Command. The scene where June Allyison drops him off, and he says one take off one landing. They fly to Alaska, and back. The scenes of the B-36 flying on that mission were fabulous.

My other favorite is Always, with Richard Dryfuss. Maybe because I really like a-26's.

Draginass and Bobbysamd already mentioned most of my favoites...don't forget about The Flight of the Phoenix, The Final Countdown (terrible script, but great flying!), and Always.

The dog-fight at the end....

of The Great Waldo Pepper!

All time favorite.

worst?

Im fond of Memphis Belle and Flight of the Phoenix. Wish they'd make some of Dale Brown's book's into movies, though. The flight scenes in Behind Enemy Lines are awesome-especially on HD plasma with surround sound and a massive woofer-when those flares light off, shakes the roof.

What about the worst aviation movie?

My vote goes for Broken Arrow

Airplane!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's an idea, let's take a list of movies from this post and make another poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back