What is takes to be an airline CEO?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

I frequent this board, not because I work for an airline but because I enjoy learning about the industry. I am about to graduate college with a degree in management pretty soon. From what I've read, there is no one that has really mastered the role of an airline CEO. What qualifications do most of them have an is it feasable to try and work to the top?
Not that I think I could change the industry, but just from what I've read, I think I could do better than half these guys..

I'm sure some of you are going to have a hayday with some responses, but I really am curious as to what it takes...

There's a difference between managing and leading.

All airlines have management.

Very few have leaders.

sure kid it's easy. first get accepted to the harvard business school, graduate at or near the top of your class, get hired by a top tier management consulting firm, work hard making great contacts, hire in at the airline where you golf with some directors of said airline and you're on your way. good luck

In many cases I would say they start at the bottom and work there way up. At least that is the case at SWA. They like to keep it internal. That said, many other airlines have hired from the outside for top management. Stephen Wolf would be a good example he has led (for lack of a better word) a few airlines. Although every time he takes a job it has been to steer said airline to a merger. Flying Tiger, USAir. I think he may have been involved at republic as well.

Do you really think half of them are trying to run an airline? If it is your goal to become a blood-sucking weasel who perfects the art of running away with millions while stabbing the labor groups in the back, then you've found your new profession. If you have a conscience, I would suggest something else.

Read a bio of C.R. Smith.

So they really can't ANYONE who cares about the company....? I find it hard to believe. Would that change the industry?

The problem is simple. This industry does not attract the quality talent. The odds of a Harvard or Warton MBA accepting the job of an airline CEO are slim and none. The salaries don't compare to what you could make at GE or IBM. The margins are no where near at profitable as they are at Altria or Pfizer. The only place with worse unions are GE and Ford.

Hence the problem, no one with a brian (someone who spends the time going to a legitimate MBA program) would ever become an airline CEO. That is the sole reason why this shape it's in. Can you imagine what this industry would look like if the truly great CEO's of the world were interested in it.

No instead what you have is a bunch of guys who couldn't get into their first, second or third choice of MBA programs. Who could get on at a descent company, and now find that through whatever coin of fate, they are in charge of an airline.

Latest resources

Back