What is an Old Pilot Worth

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mobie

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]posted 11th December 2005 19:43 [/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Bruce Willis/Demi Moore Gulfstream pilot wins $53 mil. in Los Angeles Court[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]9:20 p.m. December 9, 2005

LOS ANGELES – The company that once managed a private jet owned by Demi Moore and her ex-husband, Bruce Willis, must pay a pilot $53.8 million for firing him, a jury ruled.
The Superior Court jury ruled Wednesday in favor of Doyle D. Baker against PrivatAir Inc. After a three-week trial, jurors found the Connecticut-based company defamed and wrongfully terminated Baker in July 2004.

"The jury found that Mr. Baker's age, 63, was the motivating factor in his termination," Baker's attorney, Michael Kelly, said.

The San Bernardino pilot had been hired nine years earlier to fly the Gulfstream II jet owned by Moore and Willis, who were not named in the lawsuit.

His lawsuit alleges that he was defamed and eventually fired after PrivatAir took over management of the jet in 2002.

A call left after-hours to Joseph Maya, the Fairfield, Con., attorney who represented PrivatAir, was not immediately returned
N00M.jpg
[/IMG]
[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][Last edited by XERTO on 11th December 2005 at 22:00][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged[/FONT]​
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]
posticonnew.gif
| From: BERLIN | Registered: Dec 2005 | Status: Offline | IP: Logged
[/FONT]

Good for him!

PrivatAir was known for those manuevers.

Good for him?...really

Gulfstream 200 said:
Good for him!

PrivatAir was known for those manuevers.

Yeah OK...great for him. Bad for everyone else. 53 million for a 63 year old pilot falls in the realm of ridiculous. It's like the fat people that tried to sue Mcdonalds. You can bet PrivatAir will never pay anything close to that amount anyway. They will tie it up appeals court for years until the guy settles for much less, then their insurance will pay the "undisclosed amount". Outrageous lawsuits like this set precedence for further lawsuits and raise everyone's insurance rates. Company pays even more for insurance, you get paid even less. Yeah, he wins 53 million. The aviation community loses 53 million in wages. Just great

moving2vegas said:
Yeah OK...great for him. Bad for everyone else. 53 million for a 63 year old pilot falls in the realm of ridiculous. It's like the fat people that tried to sue Mcdonalds. You can bet PrivatAir will never pay anything close to that amount anyway. They will tie it up appeals court for years until the guy settles for much less, then their insurance will pay the "undisclosed amount". Outrageous lawsuits like this set precedence for further lawsuits and raise everyone's insurance rates. Company pays even more for insurance, you get paid even less. Yeah, he wins 53 million. The aviation community loses 53 million in wages. Just great

I respectfully disagree.

First of all, I highly doubt that ANY insurance that PrivateAir may carry will pick up the tab for the settlement so I'm not sure what rates will be in danger of going up. I've never heard of any underwriter that will insure a company for the instances in which they decide to engage in age discrimination.

Second, the whole reason you shoot for a "ridiculous" sum in the first place is because everyone knows (the jury included) full well you will most likely never see the full amount.

Third, instead of the aviation community losing 53 million, I say we can't put a price on sending a message to these leach management operations thinking they can get away with anything. Furthermore, you can't put a price on the many years and hours of experience these "older" guys share with the rest of us...

There are many things that employers get by with when dealing with pilots just because so far they have.

Let me put this "ridiculous" settlement in perspective... I don't even think it would cover the cost of a couple G-V's...

Last edited:
I'll respectfully respond.

First, you don't think employers carry insurance against employee lawsuits? They do. It's called Employment Practices Liability. It's insurance for things like age discrimination, sexual harassment and wrongful termination. Does PrivatAir have it? I have no idea. That's not the point. The lawsuit sets a monetary precedence for future lawsuits and raises insurance rates, even outside of aviation.

Second, I agree you set the bar high because in all likelihood, you'll never see anything close to that amount. However, insurance companies don't deal in "you will most likely never see the full amount". They ( the insurance provider's) only see the fact that they may actually have to pay 53 million, and they adjust their rates accordingly.

Third, a lawsuit isn't going to change management. It's only going to make management more resentful toward the reflected party. Employee wages will drop to cover any added costs associated with a lawsuit. The only practical way to change management practices is by personnel change. Furthermore, if a lawyer can put a price on a dead child, I'm sure he could come up with a price for an old, fired pilot.

Look.... I'm not trying to be an A$$. I understand where your going with your post and I sympathize with this pilot. But come on...he's 63. A high estimate would be 10 more years of flying at best. Flying a G2 in socal at maybe 125K a year. He should've gotten 1.25 M, not 53 million. But we live in this ridiculous, lawsuit filled environment. Outrageous lawsuits like this, even if a fraction of the award is paid, only benefit one person and hurt the rest of us. I'm glad this guy will get something for a wrongful termination. However, let's all join the real world and realize what effect this has to our society.

Last edited:
moving2vegas said:
I'll respectfully respond.

First, you don't think employers carry insurance against employee lawsuits? They do. It's called Employment Practices Liability. It's insurance for things like age discrimination, sexual harassment and wrongful termination. Does PrivatAir have it? I have no idea. That's not the point. The lawsuit sets a monetary precedence for future lawsuits and raises insurance rates, even outside of aviation.

Wow, there's actually people that will insure you for being an a$$hole ??? I've got to get me some of that stuff !!! :D

Last edited:
moving2vegas said:

WRONG.

you get paid less if you agree to work for less.

He will actually be lucky to see anything. Most 2 bit charter operators dont have $5 in the bank, and who knows what insurance is....do you really think 53 mil is going to change hands? wake up.

the point is, maybe they will think twice about canning an older experienced, expensive guy as opposed to slutting out the job to cheaper labor.

Thank this pilot, he may make your golden years a bit better.

look through the trees buddy.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back