Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What international airlines hire Americans?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kingsize

Always looking for more
I'd be interested in an international job in a few years, say Hong Kong, New Zealand, Japan, Australia, etc.
What is the general attitude of foreign airline companies of hiring Americans?
Is the pay as good as US companies?

American Expats

:)Singapore Airlines, Cathy,(depending on your experience), Saudi, Emerates,(sp) Gulf Air, Some hiring in Japan now, Korean Airlines, etc. Hook up to Pprune, they have sections there on the Middle East, Sout East Asia etc. You get the overseas tax break, housing is usually involved in the MIddle East, Singapore pays a subsidy on housing .:)

Plus its international flying which is a great education.

Good Luck

I believe that India also accepts all ICAO member states (includes US).

Are'nt all Americain pilots a bunch of cowboys? We don't have any skills and cannot handle this thing called flying.

Simon Says said:
Are'nt all Americain pilots a bunch of cowboys? We don't have any skills and cannot handle this thing called flying.

I know you said that as a sarcastic comment, but it is an impression that is made by Americans who fly overseas. Not in regards to skills, but in regards to lack of procedural discipline and a general lack of knowledge.

I would put the skills of an American pilot against any other in the world and the American will generally win, hands down, especially in regards to hand flying skills. I wouldn't, however, put an American in a knowledge contest against a European or Australian/Kiwi Pilot as the cracker jack box ATP exam is a joke in comparison to the theory that those pilots must learn.

TP

I agree with you but theory will not help you at all when your Airbus loses all power over the atlantic and you get to deadstick it into a small island. Knowledge of the systems and performance have saved far more lives than being able to rebuild a VHF Radio with spare parts from the galley. Was it not all that long ago a Heavy Airliner from the Far East declared an emergency due to an autopilot failure? An inconvienence-Yes and a RVSM disqual but an emergency? Nice theory there..

Galaxy said:
I agree with you but theory will not help you at all when your Airbus loses all power over the atlantic and you get to deadstick it into a small island. Knowledge of the systems and performance have saved far more lives than being able to rebuild a VHF Radio with spare parts from the galley. Was it not all that long ago a Heavy Airliner from the Far East declared an emergency due to an autopilot failure? An inconvienence-Yes and a RVSM disqual but an emergency? Nice theory there..

WORD!

That 737 rating will get you work in a lot of places right now if you have a bit of time in type.

Galaxy said:

You might have chosen a different example. First they were Canadian and second, they lost power in that Airbus because the didn't recognize a fuel leak and didn't quite understand the fuel system well enough. They opened a cross feed to place more fuel into the leaking side. After that major screw up they saved the day by dead sticking in. Pilot error was listed as one of the factors in the incident.

Your Far East example is nice, but nowhere did I say the Asian pilots had better skill or knowledge than Americans. That is clearly not the case.

As an American who flies overseas my observations are backed up with many examples. When speaking in generalizations, as we are, there will always be examples to argue the other side, but in general Americans are better at hand flying and Euros/Aussies have better knowledge.

TP

well...the technical knowledge required to pass the theory exams for initial certification in these countries might be tighter, that tends to be theory, and not necessarily practical knowledge..I would say a pilot's skills and knowledge are an individual thing, not one of nationality or licence origin....the anti-american side of piloting comes from ignorant individuals protecting their own little overseas feifdoms, and not from fact or otherwise...in fact bar very few..American licences and American pilots are accepted on equal terms as most other expats....many of them at my overseas-based airline myself included!

as far as employment...Europe requires "right to work" much as we do in the USA

Australia same, and the market is a bit tight there as well...a bit of history in 1989 America West..owned by Ansett aus (25%) sent quite a few "replacement pilots" to operate ansett flights during a dispute...so a bit of bad blood there...

Brunei...still convinced by some ignoramus' only the New Zealand, or British CAA licence is acceptable

There may be a couple more...not too sure...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back