Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What international airlines hire Americans?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
kingsize said:
I'd be interested in an international job in a few years, say Hong Kong, New Zealand, Japan, Australia, etc.
What is the general attitude of foreign airline companies of hiring Americans?
Is the pay as good as US companies?

In answer to your question:
Yes, there are jobs out there. Indeed, far more than there are in the US and generally speaking, you don't need "buddies" to bat for you and there is less ************************* footing around. They either want you or they don't. No need to wait years for a response or play silly, time-wasting games. That's why there are many American pilots (furloughed or otherwise) working overseas.
I would suggest you do a search on aviation websites, either the airline of interest or the usual agencies: parc, direct, rishworth, wynnwith. You can find them all on Google. I would also recommend pprune as you can read and "talk" to may of these pilots already working at foriegn carriers.
As for pay being as "good" as US companies? That made me smile:) !!! I rcently had 2 interviews with US companies and turned them down flat. Why? Because I would have had to take an IMMEDIATE 50% (or more) paycut for the privilege of flying the SAME aircraft in the SAME seat but spend more time at home. Enough said...........

Watch What You Wish For

I hope we (here in the US) do not open the door for all other pilots to have the "right" to fly here for any job opening as some think we should be able to world wide.

I have worked overseas, but only when there were no local pilots the job at that time.

What you think if we would open a direct entry Capt. slot here to a typed B777 DAL seat that came open?

Sorry it works both ways.

Mobie

Suppose if there were no "local" pilots available then it might happen...not too likely...never has been said on this forum anybody thinks they have a right to work overseas...I sure don't have a right to be here, I am a guest and will leave when my services are no longer needed....

You missed my point, what I was trying to say was not to let anyone open the seat to just the lowest bidder.

b757driver said:
In answer to your question:
Yes, there are jobs out there. Indeed, far more than there are in the US and generally speaking, you don't need "buddies" to bat for you and there is less ************************* footing around. They either want you or they don't. No need to wait years for a response or play silly, time-wasting games. That's why there are many American pilots (furloughed or otherwise) working overseas.
I would suggest you do a search on aviation websites, either the airline of interest or the usual agencies: parc, direct, rishworth, wynnwith. You can find them all on Google. I would also recommend pprune as you can read and "talk" to may of these pilots already working at foriegn carriers.
As for pay being as "good" as US companies? That made me smile:) !!! I rcently had 2 interviews with US companies and turned them down flat. Why? Because I would have had to take an IMMEDIATE 50% (or more) paycut for the privilege of flying the SAME aircraft in the SAME seat but spend more time at home. Enough said...........

b757driver, thanks for the good reply! I was waiting for someone to actually give a useful answer lol
So I'm tracking that there are many more overseas flying opportunities than in the US, and that they generally pay significantly more. Sounds like a good deal to me. I looked at some of those foreign airlines...i forget which ones, but the requirements for application were pretty steep, like 5000 hours.

Here's a followup question. I have a few years before I'll even be free to fly for the airlines. With all the growth in China, what advantages would I have if I learned Chinese? Would an international company like Fedex pay a premium for an american pilot who speaks Chinese and is willing to be based in China?

Think FEDEX uses locally based operators for Chinese operations within China, but China Airlines is open to expats...as are many asian carriers...try singapore, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Gulf Air...all require heavy jet time, and most substantial time on type, or similar type...and trust me mobie, while we're not sky-kings on astronomical salaries...we are here on the going rate, not cheap replacements expats are overseas to fill the gaps created by not enough local pilots..period we would not be here if there were no shortage trust me...and there is no such shortage in the USA, so I wouldnt worry about it, at least not in the jet airline level

kingsize said:
Here's a followup question. I have a few years before I'll even be free to fly for the airlines. With all the growth in China, what advantages would I have if I learned Chinese? Would an international company like Fedex pay a premium for an american pilot who speaks Chinese and is willing to be based in China?

Not likely, the language for aviation is English. A pilot doesn't need to know the language of a local airline, unless of course it's a French speaking airline :puke: .

I speak pretty decent Mandarin and even I have a hard time understanding the controllers in mainland China when they are speaking to the local boys. You'd have to be pretty fluent for it to make any difference it regards to flying, and to what end ? About the only benefit you would have for being fluent in Mandarin would be for ground based jobs where you have to interact with the locals on a daily basis. Language skills in and of themselves would not be enough, you would have to fully understand the culture there for it to really make a difference.

I wouldn't say that overseas flying jobs pay more than the better jobs in one's home country. They may be about equal, but in general are lower than the carriers like Fedex, UPS, SWA, etc. The advantage is in a tax free compensation and housing allowances which allow you to save most of your salary.

In my present job I make the U.S. equivalent of the now, much lower, legacy widebody rates. I do not even come close to Fedex rates though.

Overseas carriers and contract work are really better for those of us furloughed from majors or who have had a rocky career. I wouldn't encourage a 25 year old to pursue a job overseas. When you are 35+ and stuck in a dead end position is when it starts to make more sense. We have a lot of guys in their 40s joining my company as F.O.s because they have the potential here to reach their career goals. Something that is not possible in their home country.

TP

typhoonpilot said:
Overseas carriers and contract work are really better for those of us furloughed from majors or who have had a rocky career. I wouldn't encourage a 25 year old to pursue a job overseas. When you are 35+ and stuck in a dead end position is when it starts to make more sense. We have a lot of guys in their 40s joining my company as F.O.s because they have the potential here to reach their career goals. Something that is not possible in their home country.
TP

Do you or any of the other valuable contributors to this thread have any info on overseas carriers who hire those of us unfortunate enough to have had a rocky career and then run afoul of the Smith/Quesada Age 60 rule?

kingsize, Nowadays the controllers speak pretty good English in China, on the subject of total time, I don't think it's too bad at CX, someone in our forum got hired on the whale with less than 3000 hours, ex USN fighter pilot.

typhoonpilot, thanks for bringing up th point about Airbus systems knowledge and common sense (or lack thereof).:rolleyes:

When speaking in generalizations, as we are, there will always be examples to argue the other side, but in general Americans are better at hand flying and Euros/Aussies have better knowledge.
by Typhoon
IMO your statement is total crap, I spent three good years working and training with the Brits, that's great that they have a harder exams, so what, pilots in the states have something they usually don't have, that's at least 1500 hours experience! Enough of that lame debate, my British counter parts were excellent pilots, hand flying and otherwise, I saw no difference in flying capabilities compared to us Yanks. By the way, when the Brits conduct an LPC / OPC, most of it is with the automatics off, not like a check ride in the USA, lol.

Latest resources

Back