Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What if USAir merged with American(DOH west?)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What if USAirways merged/ was aquired by/ whatever/ with American. If American tried to staple USAir, the West pilots would be screaming for DOH. Period. DOH would look okay now.

To bad that is not the situation at hand. I lost all respect for you east guys on here.

I know the west pilots would like to believe that it is that simple but it's not. When the "snapshot" fot this merger was taken you have to freeze what both airlines look like. You can not pretend to look into the future and say this or that was going to happen. So assuming status quo reality is the east pilots would have upgraded much faster than the west pilots would have based on the age of their pilot group alone. However with this relative seniority the junior east pilot goes from a 7 year upgrade to much later down the road yet you say DOH gives him a windfall. Relative seniority does the reverse.

Both pilot groups need to get back together and start talking common sense.

No, all of the factors you are talking about were considered in the Nic, including reserving the top 517 spots for the east, the fence on widebodies, the nic even wisely accounted for the possibility of a change to the age 60 rule and removed those fences.

Quite frankly, the only upgrade your precious junior east pilot was looking at was a promotion to a assistant to the assistant manager at home depot.

Just prior to the merger, active east pilots were bailing out to go anywhere, even old amercia west. They knew the end was near.

Quite frankly, the only upgrade your precious junior east pilot was looking at was a promotion to a assistant to the assistant manager at home depot.
Believe it or not, Eaglesview isn't an Eastie but a United pilot. He believes so passionately in DOH he forgives their outrageous behavior.

I know the west pilots would like to believe that it is that simple but it's not. When the "snapshot" fot this merger was taken you have to freeze what both airlines look like. You can not pretend to look into the future and say this or that was going to happen. So assuming status quo reality is the east pilots would have upgraded much faster than the west pilots would have based on the age of their pilot group alone. However with this relative seniority the junior east pilot goes from a 7 year upgrade to much later down the road yet you say DOH gives him a windfall. Relative seniority does the reverse.

Really? Then why don't the easties live up to their end of the bargain? You talk about the "SNAPSHOT" that was taken Sept. 2005 but USAPA wants to reset that snapshot to after all recalls were complete and include all the pilots that were furloughed at that time of the merger to have them get their original date of hire (nevermind that they have no longevity). The expected time to upgrade at AWA at the time of the merger was not seven years but five years. The result of this "reset" would be that 85% of the pilots from AWA would be on the bottom of the list.

Would you guys stop spouting B.S. and realize that any merger more than 51% involves binding arbitration per the Senate ruling? Stapling is not allowed.

Now, as to whether the arbitration would be considered fair.. that's another story. But it HAS to be arbitrated.

Two pilot groups meant to be together. I hope the rumor of Republic taking over the West is true. We'd get the better end of it.

TWA Dude -

Although I disagree with almost everything you post - I say "be careful for what you wish for" - you never know what management can come up with - sometimes it is better to stay with a "known" rather than hope for the "unknown" - no matter how bad you feel about the "known"

Metrojet

TWA Dude -

Although I disagree with almost everything you post - I say "be careful for what you wish for" - you never know what management can come up with - sometimes it is better to stay with a "known" rather than hope for the "unknown" - no matter how bad you feel about the "known"

Metrojet

It goes both ways (good or bad) thats why it's "unknown". When the "known" is as bad as it is now the "unknown" is pretty attractive.

Last edited:
I say "be careful for what you wish for"
I guess you missed the point of my post. The point is in a merger with AA the APA would chew you up and spit you out. I happen to have some knowledge and experience with them (not to mention I'm still considered an APA member). If there's a way around Bond-McKaskill, any kind of loophole whatsoever, they'll find it, staple the vast majority of US, and tell you they think it's fair.

I really don't think we'll be merging with AA but if we do, for the record, I favor binding arbitration and I'll accept the result come what may.

I know the west pilots would like to believe that it is that simple but it's not. When the "snapshot" for this merger was taken you have to freeze what both airlines look like. You can not pretend to look into the future and say this or that was going to happen. So assuming status quo reality is the east pilots would have upgraded much faster than the west pilots would have based on the age of their pilot group alone. However with this relative seniority the junior east pilot goes from a 7 year upgrade to much later down the road yet you say DOH gives him a windfall. Relative seniority does the reverse.

Eagle;
When the PID was taken the following were happening:
1. AWA brought 140 aircraft into the pot. AWA was hiring, upgrading, getting more new aircraft and making money (past two+ quartYers?). AWA was the first major airline to have an improved post-9/11 contract.
2. AAA was NOT hiring, had continued to shrink, downgrade & furlough.
3. AAA was in bankruptcy for the (3rd?) time. How close to the ultimate edge of the cliff were they? A lot closer than AWA.

You said it. You must FREEZE both airlines at that very moment, and make your determinations. By the time we started going through the mediation and arbitration began, the furloughed pilots were returning en masse. PID now? No, unfortunately not.

Latest resources

Back