What if SWA was to Move from Dallas? Pt 1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bozt45 said:
I know that SWA doesn't like the idea of the costs involved in having to move to DFW, but I am sure that the existing airlines in the Dallas/Fort Worth area , at the time, didn't like it either when they were forced to move to the new DFW airport.

Now if SWA wants to change the WA, fine. Let them. They have every right to try, and probably an obligation to do so to their stockholders and customers. But I think there should be some form of reimbursement to the community that funded the construction of DFW, as well as to the existing airlines that had to incur that expense that SWA never had to absorb. But that is for the politicians and management of SWA to decide. Good luck to them and as long as an arrangement is reached that makes all parties concerned happy, problem solved.

In the meantime though, can someone explain to me the SWA argument that operating out of DFW is too expensive and doesn't fit SWA's business model, while they also operate out of LAX, BWI, LAS, LGA, STL, and PHL? Seems to me these ariports are no better than DFW as to infrastructure and operating expenses.

SWA saved money by not moving to DFW. But SWA has also forgone profit they could have earned, say in the late 1990's, by not being able to fly direct flights out of DFW. I say it was a draw. AA and DAL earned BIG money flying out of DFW in the late 90's.

A reimbursement to the community? That would be bondholders. The bondholders got paid. If you wanted to work at a Dallas area airport I'm thinking there are more jobs available with 2 airports instead of just one.

The areas you mentioned do not have good alternatives. If SWA were to move to DFW, wouldn't someone else try to move into Love to fill the void?

FlyBoeingJets said:
The areas you mentioned do not have good alternatives. If SWA were to move to DFW, wouldn't someone else try to move into Love to fill the void?

I would think that Love would be closed to commercail traffic, as was originally intended with the inception of DFW, as was Southwest Dallas, Meacham and the other local airfields.

bozt45 said:
In the meantime though, can someone explain to me the argument that operating out of DFW is too expensive and doesn't fit SWA's business model, while they also operate out of LAX, BWI, LAS, LGA, STL, and PHL? Seems to me these ariports are no better than DFW as to infrastructure and operating expenses.

As for LAX, SWA does operate out of other satellite fields. BWI is the cheaper airport in that area. LAS, STL, and PHL are the only airports in those areas. And SWA doesn't fly out of LGA.

str8upflyrght said:
As for LAX, SWA does operate out of other satellite fields. BWI is the cheaper airport in that area. LAS, STL, and PHL are the only airports in those areas. And SWA doesn't fly out of LGA.

Makes sense, thanks. Is BWI cheaper than Reagan Int.?

I believe it is cheaper. I lived in that area for a while. National or Reagan (or whatever it is these days) was a busier airport. Not sure if that's still the case. Also less traffic headaches at BWI.

At one time the WA made sense. But populations have grown and airports are getting too busy, according to the FAA. If Dallas Love were shut down it would limit growth in North Texas.

The most glaring counter to the 2 airport theory is Denver. But Denver is a smaller market and it didn't hurt it. The Dallas metroplex needs 2 airports for the future. All past rivalries aside, and I am biased, what is good for Dallas' future??

BTW, this is 1998 data. Populations have risen in many markets since then.

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa122099c.htm

The 48 Metropolitan Areas With a Population Above One Million, Ranked

1 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, 20,124,377
2 Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County, 15,781,273
3 Chicago-Gary-Kenosha, IL-IN-WI 8,809,846
4 Washington-Baltimore, DC-MD-VA-WV 7,285,206
5 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA 6,816,047
6 Philadelphia-Wilmington-Atlantic City, PA-NJ-DE-MD 5,988,348
7 Boston-Worcester-Lawrence, MA-NH-ME-CT 5,633,060
8 Detroit-Ann Arbor-Flint, MI 5,457,583
9 Dallas-Fort Worth, TX 4,802,463
10 Houston-Galveston-Brazoria, TX 4,407,579
11 Atlanta, GA 3,746,059
12 Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL 3,655,844
13 Seattle-Tacoma-Bremerton, WA 3,424,361
14 Phoenix-Mesa, AZ MSA2,931,004
15 Cleveland-Akron, OH 2,911,683
16 Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI 2,831,234
17 San Diego, CA 2,780,592
18 St. Louis, MO-IL 2,563,801
19 Denver-Boulder-Greeley, CO 2,365,345
20 Pittsburgh, PA 2,346,153
21 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 2,256,559

Actually I believe that the D-FW Metroplex could support three pax airports. Meacham at one time had great service in-state from Mesa, via the RJ. The growth in this area is out in the area commonly referred to as the urban sprawl. I.E. H.E.B. , North Richland Hills, Keller, Grandbury, and in the east Plano north to Sherman. The one thing that amazes me is that the City and County called Dallas do not see it this way.

Hmmm, possibly leaving Big D. If Dallas/Ft Worth residents don't believe WN holds a grudge, just ask any resident of Denver.

Typical conversation I have with my friends in Denver:

"When is Southwest going to fly into Denver?"

Me - "Never, never, and never!!!!!! Denver has a better chance of getting service from Ghana Airlines than Southwest. We burned our bridges a long time ago and no amount of butt kissin' will repair the damage done."

C Ya

CB

Latest resources

Back