• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What if SWA was to Move from Dallas? Pt 1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can't believe such a law passed. I know the government has a sad history of meddling in business resulting in unfortunate outcomes - but the WA takes the cake.
Smacks of trade restriction -> monopolies/combines to me.
If any of us tried to control a competitor's business activities like that, we would be in jail!

They never should have messed with it. If a new airport was needed, they should have let normal market forces control what happens - let the airlines patrons pay for new facilities through higher fares.

I want SWA to build their hdqtrs in my backyard and for Mobile to build their refinery across the street. Can I get an AMEN

GravityHater said:
I can't believe such a law passed. I know the government has a sad history of meddling in business resulting in unfortunate outcomes - but the WA takes the cake.
Smacks of trade restriction -> monopolies/combines to me.
If any of us tried to control a competitor's business activities like that, we would be in jail!

They never should have messed with it. If a new airport was needed, they should have let normal market forces control what happens - let the airlines patrons pay for new facilities through higher fares.
Apparently you don't haven't read the history on the WA. I am so sick of hearing SWA whine, I used to have a lot of respect for the company. SWA made it's bed at LUV the whole time knowing that the Wright Amendment was in place. Now sleep in it and quit bitching, SWA has done pretty well at Love with the restricitons in place. This in nothing more than SWA trying to gain an advantage, in an unscrupulous way. Just leave DFW and go down to San Antonio.

Apparently you don't haven't read the history on the WA. I am so sick of hearing SWA whine, I used to have a lot of respect for the company. SWA made it's bed at LUV the whole time knowing that the Wright Amendment was in place. Now sleep in it and quit bitching, SWA has done pretty well at Love with the restricitons in place. This in nothing more than SWA trying to gain an advantage, in an unscrupulous way. Just leave DFW and go down to San Antonio.

Sir, you are the one who did not read the history of the WA. Southwest began operating in 1971, the WA restrictions did not take effect until 1979. SWA DID NOT KNOW (!!!) that the WA was in place. And AFTER de-regulation took effect, they did begin expanding outside of TX with NO WA RESTRICTIONS. It was AFTER(!!!) de-regulation, and AFTER(!!!) SWA began expanding outside of TX, that the WA was passed into law.

Please re-read your history and look at a calendar before you make such grand and false pronouncements.

Today in the Dallas Morning News the American Airlines study came out and guess what......It supports the WA. Big surprise. This WA thing is not about Dallas. It will be overturned when the rest of the U.S. Congress finally decided to back a successful business model in the U.S. airline industry and quit being scared of the Sky Nazis. This is a federal thing. Now that being said. Dallas really sucks!!! They need to see the writing on the wall and put their support behind the abolition of the WA. The talk of SWA moving it's HQ is nothing new, and it has always been because of restrictions in place at KDAL because of the WA. Our fine U.S. congressman from Ellis County is the biggest two faced liar around. He supported repealling Wright when legend was an upstart but now that American Airlines pads his pockets he is for the anyi-competitive amendment. Then he tells the telecom folks in Richardson that if they want him to support anti-competitive legislation, the he is not their man. COME-ON!!!!! When will the Airlines Deregualtion Act of 1978 be finalized?

flyinglow said:
Apparently you don't haven't read the history on the WA. Nor have you I am so sick of hearing SWA whine, I used to have a lot of respect for the company. SWA made it's bed at LUV the whole time knowing that the Wright Amendment How is that possible? There was no WA in 1971 - our guys are smart, but not clairvoient was in place. Now sleep in it and quit bitching, SWA has done pretty well at Love with the restricitons in place. This in nothing more than SWA trying to gain an advantage, in an unscrupulous way. Unscrupulous? Everything is above board in the public eye. I guess it is unscrupuless becasue you don't agree. Just leave DFW and go down to San Antonio.

I'll tell you what is unscrupuless: paying off your political pals to pass laws to get an airport bullt that the market won't support, paying off your political pals to put restriction on commerce that favor you, and finally using these advantages gained in backrooms of courthouses and the senate (not in the market place) to gouge the consumer.

You talk about being tired of bitching - maybe you shouldn't do it so much.

Last edited:
NEDude said:
Sir, you are the one who did not read the history of the WA. Southwest began operating in 1971, the WA restrictions did not take effect until 1979. SWA DID NOT KNOW (!!!) that the WA was in place. And AFTER de-regulation took effect, they did begin expanding outside of TX with NO WA RESTRICTIONS. It was AFTER(!!!) de-regulation, and AFTER(!!!) SWA began expanding outside of TX, that the WA was passed into law.

Please re-read your history and look at a calendar before you make such grand and false pronouncements.
I am sorry the point wasn't clear. I meant to point out that SWA was a very small airline when the WA was put in place. They made the decision to build up LUV and HDQ with the WA in place. They knew about it when they made there investment decisions to build there. They could have put HDQ or a bigger base somewhere else in Texas if they did not like the WA, or simply gone over to DFW. That is what I meant by they made their bed now they should sleep in it.

Another voice from the "SWA signed up for the WA so they should live with it forever . . ." crowd chimes in. (Along this line of thinking..."Our founding fathers signed up to come over to this land as English colonists--how unethical of them to try and change the rules and declare their independence when they weren't happy with the arrangement!!!") How can a rule which limited the flying of an airline with three airplanes be rationally applied to one with over 400?! Texas politics at its best! The next great sucking noise you might hear will be that of $15 million SWA tax dollars leaving Dallas!

Last edited:
Spudbud said:
The next great sucking noise you might hear will be that of $15 million SWA tax dollars leaving Dallas!

Followed by the sound of the same $15M going into the Bexar County coffers. And Austin still gets the same cut. And what will it cost Colleen to move all the exec offices to SAT? And the managers and office staff aren't going for free either. Whats it cost to move all of those families? A transfer is on the companies dime. And after SWA moves, the flights out of DAL have the same restrictions.

Bottom line, SWA loses.

Don't you have a grease monkey board to go play on?:laugh:

Latest resources

Back