Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What if it was a United or Usair Airbus today?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
what would fine tuning the flare have anthing to do with keeping the nose wheel off the runway? They could have thumped it in and still finesed the nose gear on.

Not sure how much jet time you have, but it isnt that easy to thump one in and then fine-tune your flare to finesse the nose gear on, especially when you have that kind of pressure to deal with as well.

Airbus guys correct me if I'm wrong, but dont you fly a pretty flat approach to minimal flare? Something to do with the computer making adjustments for you and it gets squirrely. The guy I fly with flew 319/320's for United and he said you dont flare much.

Last edited:
TXGold said:
I wonder if he used reverse thrust or just spoilers and differential braking.

I dont think they used either actually, at least no T/R's. Both transfer a lot of momentum forward, and they were trying to keep it back to prevent the strut from folding/collapsing. I may be wrong though.

Singlecoil said:
Jetblue has a major mechanical failure. Lives are at risk. The airplane lands safely and everyone in the media and on this board says, "Way to GJblue!". I'm just curious, if it had been an aircraft owned by one of the bankrupt carriers, do you think everyone would be tooting the horn of that airline? Wouldn't the questions naturally be, "Jim, do you think the airline is cutting back on maintenance and that could be a factor here?"
I'm sure the papers tomorrow will be positive toward Jetblue as well.

Let me clearly state that neither I, or anyone else could have landed that airplane better than they did earlier today. I'm just trying to foster a discussion of the media/public/professional perception of that airline versus others.

P.S. the GJblue above is a result of the flightinfo censors. Apparently the word go and the word jet cannot appear next to eachother on this board for somewhat obvious reasons. I tried to say "Way to Go!" ....JetBlue".

What if I was a Sr Check Airman for Cathay on the 777? WHAT IF

singlecoil,

I just read that ntsb brief, and it sounds like this JB incident is a repeat of the AWA incident. Also, in the brief it notes that this same malfunction had occured 3 times prior. If that is the case, this JB problem makes a total of 5 times this exact same problem would seem to have occured, despite a service bulletin being issued to supposedly rectify the problem. I heard that this particular Aircraft was manufactured in 2002, 3 years after the AWA incident, and yet the same problem seems to have resurfaced.

why didnt AWA's incident get as much media coverage as Jblue did?

Because they were not circling for 2+ hours. Had it been on approach into say JFK from BUR, with no fuel to burn off, I doubt it would have gotten much attention.

I would bet, that the news stations monitors emergency freq for all services ie, fire, police and airport or maybe someone made a call, either way, it gave them time to be on scene and create all the media hype.

Latest resources

Back