• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What has ALPA done for me lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
However, your yardstick is to expect ALPA to be an individual bargaining agent for your interest, when in reality ALPA negotiates via the profession for collective bargaining interests...

2300+ former TWA pilots would differ in what you claim is ALPA's primary goal. ALPA will negotiate (or not negotiate if it represents a better position) what's best for ALPA...if your airline's pilots happen to be somehow on the coattails of that, then you're lucky. If not, then you don't meet the purpose of the union's goal, which is collecting more dues.

http://www.twapilot.org/TWA vs. ALPA Documents/Lee Seham Report.pdf

stlflyguy

Alpa sux and so does Mesa

M

2300+ former TWA pilots would differ in what you claim is ALPA's primary goal. ALPA will negotiate (or not negotiate if it represents a better position) what's best for ALPA...if your airline's pilots happen to be somehow on the coattails of that, then you're lucky. If not, then you don't meet the purpose of the union's goal, which is collecting more dues.

http://www.twapilot.org/TWA vs. ALPA Documents/Lee Seham Report.pdf

stlflyguy

That is an interesting document. I'm about 1/2 way through it and will probably finish reading it tonight. Obviously, it's very nature is biased toward the side of the Plantiffs. Do you have ALPA's response (I don't know what the legal term is) to the Bensel vs. ALPA action so that one can learn about both sides of the issue?

That is an interesting document. I'm about 1/2 way through it and will probably finish reading it tonight. Obviously, it's very nature is biased toward the side of the Plantiffs. Do you have ALPA's response (I don't know what the legal term is) to the Bensel vs. ALPA action so that one can learn about both sides of the issue?

UALdriver-

you will see that Lee Seham's cash cow was in house or non ALPA unions. In fact ALPA took two of his in house unions away from him, when said pilot groups went to ALPA.

This expert testimony is really just Seham's personal and at times biased opinion. In addition he was paid to provide this opinion.

ALPA has its failings no doubt... and whenever apathetic pilots leave their elected leaders to their own devices you can be sure that there will be a big difference in expectations.

We seem to be having huge expectation problems not only with our unions but also our gov't. Why is that?

Only until ALL of us participate at some level some of the time will we be able to manage our expectations are get the union we deserve....

Last edited:
What has alpa done for me lately??

Just gave away more scope protections.......

Way to go!!

And before the resident cool-aide drinker Rez responds, there was not one word from the union about it before they signed the LOA, nor did they allow us to vote on it. So much for your alpa "democracy."

No Solution--excuse me--Rez O. Lewshun claims that there's bias in the reports. If there was then ALPA would have no issue at arguing the merits of the report. Instead, the report--and two others by other experts--state where ALPA should have acted and failed to do so.

ALPA's large enough that there are very few unencumbered lawyers that practice the RLA that don't work for them.

What Rez also can't get over is that expert witnesses have a right to be compensated for their time. (http://www.benchmarkinstitute.org/t_by_t/expert/index.htm). ALPA could go and hire (well, could have) the very same expert witnesses as a preemptive action to the TWA pilots, but they didn't have the forethought to do so.

Do you have ALPA's response (I don't know what the legal term is) to the Bensel vs. ALPA action so that one can learn about both sides of the issue?

ALPA will have the opportunity to present a rebuttal, as would be normal procedure. Ask ALPA what their response is...after all No Solution says you should get involved.

Hey, the suit's only for $1.2B. ALPA can afford it right?

stlflyguy

No Solution--excuse me--Rez O. Lewshun claims that there's bias in the reports. If there was then ALPA would have no issue at arguing the merits of the report. Instead, the report--and two others by other experts--state where ALPA should have acted and failed to do so.

ALPA's large enough that there are very few unencumbered lawyers that practice the RLA that don't work for them.

What Rez also can't get over is that expert witnesses have a right to be compensated for their time. (http://www.benchmarkinstitute.org/t_by_t/expert/index.htm). ALPA could go and hire (well, could have) the very same expert witnesses as a preemptive action to the TWA pilots, but they didn't have the forethought to do so.

ALPA will have the opportunity to present a rebuttal, as would be normal procedure. Ask ALPA what their response is...after all No Solution says you should get involved.

Hey, the suit's only for $1.2B. ALPA can afford it right?

stlflyguy

Well, Rez is right. It's a compensated expert witness for the TWA guys. That, by definition, is biased. I'm not saying the expert witness is right or wrong as I read the whole document and haven't a clue. But as an interested by-stander, I certainly wouldn't formulate my opinion on a case such as this by reading a document produced by an expert witness hired by the Plantiffs! That's why I asked if you had the response to the original Bensel v. ALPA case. I guess you don't?

Well, Rez is right. It's a compensated expert witness for the TWA guys. That, by definition, is biased. I'm not saying the expert witness is right or wrong as I read the whole document and haven't a clue. But as an interested by-stander, I certainly wouldn't formulate my opinion on a case such as this by reading a document produced by an expert witness hired by the Plantiffs! That's why I asked if you had the response to the original Bensel v. ALPA case. I guess you don't?

Offhand, no. Perhaps ALPA can provide you a copy?

ALPA is also afforded the same opportunity to use expert witnesses. Ask them if they will.

stlflyguy

Latest resources

Back