• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

what happened at ASA on an ATR tonight?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First of all, thank God nobody was injured. Second of all this is a shining example how the "leadership" at ASA will step over a dollar to grab a dime. This could probably been prevented by having better quality rampers or at least better training but this little episode will no doubt cost alot of $$$. For what the damaged blades will cost to replace, the prop hub and possibly the engine RGB having to be inspected (ie the engine coming off depending on the severity of the prop strike) we could have some descent folks on the ramp. In reality though ASA doesn't care about quality people on the ramp because they'd have to come off the coin a bit. Then BA might not get another huge stock option and maybe even get a scolding from uncle Jerry for cost being up. Clowns!!

Sorry guys, but if the wing walker signaled for a stop and the marshaller missed yeah it's the marshaller's fault. But, exactly where was the FO looking at the time?

Especially on D or at the end of C the FO would be well advised to keep an eye on that wing walker, might save a lot of paperwork.

PalmettoPilot said:
Sorry guys, but if the wing walker signaled for a stop and the marshaller missed yeah it's the marshaller's fault. But, exactly where was the FO looking at the time?

Especially on D or at the end of C the FO would be well advised to keep an eye on that wing walker, might save a lot of paperwork.

There are MANY time our all-star team of rampers are out of sight as you taxi into the spot. They fall so far behind the wing that you can't see them at all. They start at the roadway and never really walk forward as you pull in....or they move inward toward the bagage door and again fall out of sight.

asayankee said:
There are MANY time our all-star team of rampers are out of sight as you taxi into the spot. They fall so far behind the wing that you can't see them at all. They start at the roadway and never really walk forward as you pull in....or they move inward toward the bagage door and again fall out of sight.

Not sure about the ATR but on the RJ we can see to the wing tip. If they get out of sight or aren't paying attention when I think they need to be I just tell the CA to stop. Works well, especially if it's raining or @!#$y weather. Sucks when it's our freedom leg.

Yep - the pilots are not out of the woods. Good luck to them. The rampers are covered by the Company's Certificate and the Pilots have their own Certificate. Guess who's Certificate the Company tries to pin it on?

This is an area where ALPA can help and does a really good job.

Note the time on the NTSB report... 2230... means it was dark. I doubt this fuel cart was illuminated.

Also, on the 42 it is difficult to see the props from the cockpit unless you glue your face to the window. I've never flown a 72 but I'd imagine it is more difficult if not impossible since you are sitting 10 feet more forward.

That's why we have marshallers. If you could see everything we wouldn't need them, right?

John Pennekamp said:
Uh, ok... have you ever flown for a 121 airline? You see, we don't just pull into any parking spots. We have these ground workers, called marshallers who guide us into the spot and tell us where to go, and we can't park until they guide us in. We're taught to trust the marshallers and do exactly what they tell us to do. That's why the crew is not disciplined if an incident occurs and we were following directions. And the FAA has the same policy.

Why the cheap shot against the crew? Are YOU above reproach, or just a flaimbaiter trolling?

I thought our paddle dudes were called marshallers too but I guess not since it's not a 121 airline...I can't wait until I don't have to clear my wings anymore, and can just blast ahead trusting these obviously exceptional rampers you guys are always speaking so highly of./sarcarsm off

Seriously, if the rampers suck so bad would that not be more of a reason to have your head on a swivel outside the cockpit?? This isn't a 747 we're talking about, what's the wingspan on an atr, 45 feet?

So what if it is 45 feet. If you have a 20 foot wing are you telling me that you can tell if something is 21 feet away as opposed to 19. No, I know I cant. Thats why the guy on the cell phone off your wing is holding that glow stick in his other hand. That team, for lack of a better word, is there to park you and make sure you are not going to hit anything while doing it. Do you think if you could do it with one, or none for that matter, they wouldn't be trying to do it to save having to pay somebody else. I was in ATL a week ago and had this happen. It was a new rampie so i hope he learned his lesson. But as we were pulling in, in the CRJ so I could see the wing tip, the guy out there held up the X sign. We didnt stop so i had to brake as I told the captain to stop. We came within a few feet of hitting a bag cart. The captain said the marshaller never stopped looking at the nose wheel. Needless to say the CA was pissed and let him know. But I seriously doubt you can see the prop on the ATR. Then you have to trust them.

Dave

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back