• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What gives at Airways?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are only 9,500 regional pilots in the regional industry.

WTF are you talking about?

There are around 7000 pilots between XJT and SKW. Probably another 1000 between TSA, GoJet and Compass, I think close to 2500 at Pinnacle, another almost 2500 at Eagle, Republic has close to 2500, Mesa has close to 700 still, Horizon has about 500, 500 or so at piedmont, another 500 or so at PSA, 700 or so at Air Wiskey, Commutair has about 200, and Silver has maybe 300 pilots. And im not counting all of the furloughed guys due to Comair shutting down as well as portions of Pinnacle(Colgan) shutting down.

Your off by close to 10,000 pilots.

You are absolutely right rjacobs. I started adding the numbers and I realize the 9500 number was my personal approximation from some time back on how many people I believe would be able leave the regional industry.

Sorry for the WTF factor. :laugh:

Last edited:
I think what alot of people are now realizing is that the old adage about the 1000TPIC not being the magical number is holding true...

thousands and thousands of applicants pretty much all with CRJ/ERJ/E170 time...Everyone has the 4500-9000TT, we've all been flying into ORD,LAX, JFK... USAIR is at the bottom of the Legacy pile and even they are having their pick of applicants.....

The pilot shortage may occur at the regional level but definitely not at the Legacy/LCC level....Good news is that the Legacies should all start to hire soon. Bad news is, the stagnation has been so great everyone has had alot of time to build time and resumes. It truly is a level playing field where the guy sitting to your right may be almost as qualified as the left seat guy...Thus landing those coveted jobs is that much harder.

Never Interviewed my application never made it the far. Dissapointed but I know everything happens for a reason that is beyond my understanding. Got the not selected to continue email. Best of luck to those that are under review. God Bless

Keep applying! He got the same email. However he is a piedmont guy and it looks like they are getting selected at a higher rate. Not like the old days when it was impossible to get in. Good luck...

I heard on the other board that those "No" emails might have been a mistake.

1000 TPIC is a non-factor at airways. I know 4 hired recently with LESS. Maybe it's finally a nod to the wholly-owneds. But I doubt it.

Probably indicative of what the company is like to work for.
In the old days, America West was described as Trans States with jets, today they are like Trans States with bigger jets.

In the old days, America West was described as Trans States with jets, today they are like Trans States with bigger jets.

Bingo. There are a ton of waterskiers at america west. Speaking of waterskiers. RIP Happy. You will missed.

M

Bingo. There are a ton of waterskiers at america west. Speaking of waterskiers. RIP Happy. You will missed.

M

MCDU, I don't post much on this site but I have to ask you, where did you find those great cheeks in your avatar? Amazing!!

Latest resources

Back