Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What experience is preferred for an interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do majors even look at pilots with turbine PIC that is not 121??

Military, 135 and corporate are non 121

I know that Southwest, Fedex, and UPS do. Historically US Airways, Delta, United, NWA and American did. I think 135 and corporate are a minority but they are also a smaller fraction of the people applying. I have heard them say get more turbine PIC as opposed to get 121 experience. Having said that they proably value 121 experience more. This is all to get the interview. Once you do, they either like you and you fit in or you don't and it's over.

I found myself in a similar situation a few years back. I was right seat in a DHC8 with at least a century to go for an upgrade. Myself and two others jumped ship to a Part 121 operator who needed three off-the-street captains right away. As you can imagine I thought about for about .25 senconds and then bolted! I went to the left seat of an F-27, and now I'm an ATR check airman. I agree with those who say PIC turbine is GOLD BABY! The 20,000lbs or greater thing may or may not cause you a problem. When hiring is strong GTOW is not such a factor, but when hiring is slow it is just one more screening tool. I think the important thing is to show good forward career progression. I say take the quickest way to the left seat of a part 121 turbine airplane.

Good luck

What is the magic competitive number these days? I am approaching the (what I thought was) the magical 1,000. How much more BS do I have to look forward to with my current company before I can get a completely new dose of BS from a different company in a larger airplane?

T-prop said:
Do majors even look at pilots with turbine PIC that is not 121??

Trust me Swerpipe is right about the PIC turbine thing at SWA. I know of a guy who flew a citation err crustation and had the type and got the call for the interview, AND I know a guy with gobs of RJ time and a type and no call.

NOW you must ask yourself where you want to be if SWA says sorry. This happens to a lot of people. Remember where you wanted to be when you started flying and if SWA is on that list then get your 1000 PIC-T put in the app do all the paper work and enjoy life.

Military part 121, 91 135 its all the same when you walk thru the front door.

Singlespeed -

How about PIC jet vs. PIC turbo prop? Doesn't seem like many turbo prop skippers are getting called.

ATRCAPT said:
Singlespeed -

How about PIC jet vs. PIC turbo prop? Doesn't seem like many turbo prop skippers are getting called.

My sim partner who flies a metro got the call and anther guy from my class at HPA got hired out of the Dash. Neither were check airmen or had anything to do with leadership roles. I have both bases covered I fly a t-prop and a crustation.

I think it’s a waiting game. It seems like I'm the only one in my HPA class who has not gotten the call, but my T- PIC is IMOP low. I asked SWA if flying a SIC 121 vs. PIC was better and PIC wins. Now back to the original question of military vs. 121 vs. 135 vs. 91, it's a crapshoot. I chose QOL.

It seems like I keep hearing that they are looking for time in type, but I cannot confirm this rumor.

The problem T-prop has is he is not going to get any PIC at Eagle for a very long time. He will sit F/O there for 7 years or more. That does him no good at all. He would be better off, IMHO, rolling the dice at GLA.

It probably is a fact that less turbo prop captains are getting called. I say this because there must be a lot less of them out there now compared to jet captains. There are more jets then props now. Same thing with the question about going straight from the 1900 to SWA or whatever. There are only so many qualified 1900 drivers out there.

T-prop said:
Great Lakes it is. They have a bad rep for the way they treat their pilots and their stability, but they have a good rep for putting out good pilots. I am just not sure if it is worth the jump. They are making progress on their awful contract. They even look to be expanding soon. I may just be too impatient.

T-Prop,
Are they safe? Are they stable? If those two can be answered with a yes, then I would jump ship.

As far as how well they treat their pilots: it doesen't sound like you are intending to make this a permanent move, so I wouldn't worry about it.

PIC turbine is PIC turbine as far as the boxes on the application are concerned. Unless an airline has specific parameters regarding what kind of PIC turbine they prefer (i.e., heavy jet, ac larger than xx,000# gtow) the B-1900 PIC time is going to benefit you much more than 6+ years in the right seat.

Another thing to think about is this: if the majors you are looking at don't hire as quickly as you are hoping, that PIC time in the Beech might open other doors for you that otherwise would have not been obtainable. i.e., you may be able to get a job on bigger equipment somewhere for more pay and a better schedule.

I would concentrate on filling the 1,000 hour PIC turbine requirement first. I have two friends here who flew 1900's at prior companies and were hired along with guys who flew 747's and F-16's.

Latest resources

Back