Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What experience is preferred for an interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T-prop

Ab Initio is the best...
I am an ATR FO for eagle looking at a 6 year upgrade in a turboprop and a 8-9 year upgrade for jet. My ultimate goal is a major airline (CAL, SWA, Fed-Ex etc.) I am thinking of jumping to a B-1900 121 operator for a 6 month upgrade and a major pay cut. Other regionals look to be a risky shot with their business relying on US Air, United, and Delta. How do the majors value 1900 time? There is no FMS, A/P, etc. however it'll be all handflying in mountainous terrain with some of the most challenging wx. It looks to be fun/challenging flying for low pay.

I hate to be one of those who is willing to bend over for a better shot at a major, but I don't want to be stuck in the right seat as I watch my peers move on. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Leave Eagle ASAP!! I know of some six year T-Prop CA's who are being displaced back to F/O. You will probably spend over six years at Eagle before you can have the possibilty of upgrade in the most junior equipment / base. Regional F/O time does you absolutely NO GOOD when it comes to moving on to a major. I would go to the 1900 operator ASAP and not look back at Eagle. Feel free to PM me if you want more info. on why to leave.

Sounds like Great Lakes, eh? I can tell you from working there that some of my ex co-workers did go from the 1900D to places like Air Tran, Alaska, Frontier, Southwest, America West and even a few to FedEx. Of course, there is a lot to be said for having connections and that helped a few of those people. But there were also a lot of cases where my friends worked hard to get an interview and showed themselves very positively to the interviewers and got hired.

Some airlines do have a bias against 1900 pilots (JetBlue's gross weight requirement and Frontier at times wants jet/glass time), but there are certainly plenty of cases that I'm aware where someone's gone from the "lowly" 1900 to a large 121 carrier or cargo outfit.

Great Lakes it is. They have a bad rep for the way they treat their pilots and their stability, but they have a good rep for putting out good pilots. I am just not sure if it is worth the jump. They are making progress on their awful contract. They even look to be expanding soon. I may just be too impatient.

There are periods with a lot of junior-manning at Lakes and as for stability, they've been around since 1977, when they started as Spirit Lake Airways. And they aren't in bankruptcy like some other airlines.

Does Lakes have its problems? Sure. But I don't think there are many carriers where you could upgrade as quickly as at Lakes and start logging 121 PIC time. On top of that, you will get an incredible wealth of experience and the relatively small number of pilots makes for a close-knit group. If you can stomach the low pay (and I wouldn't count a new contract any time soon) and you study quite hard, you'll do well there. Best wishes to you.

Telluride maybe?

T-prop said:
There is no FMS, A/P, etc. however it'll be all handflying in mountainous terrain with some of the most challenging wx. It looks to be fun/challenging flying for low pay.

In other words Telluride, Aspen, etc... I have flown the Metro to Telluride and Aspen a bunch of times and can't think of a better way to get your heartrate up while seated (not even a woman). I ran into a lot Great Lakes folks while at Telluride. Bunch of great guys. At least you won't be bored at work. LOL

BTW, know a few ex-Great Lakes SWA pilots.

I would definately say that getting 121 PIC turbine in large aircraft would be priority #1. You know I don't often respond too much to interview posts here because there are so many different opinions. I will say that I was directly in charge of hiring a chief pilot for a 135 operation that was getting ready to morph into a 121 operation with "big" aspirations. Anyway the most important thing to me was the "person" then came experience. We were looking for at least two types in transport category aircraft and at least 1000 pic in each. However I would wave that if the person was, in my opinion of "exceptional character". I was only 23 but I knew what I had to do. Take it for what it's worth. Go for the job that will give you the PIC time quickest. And forget about alot of the extraneous BS, if they like you at the interview they are going to hire you. One thing I hated and I am sure many other's who interview pilots hate are "robots" and "canned" answers. Anyway I'm rambling now so I better go.

Last edited:
How long have you been at eagle? That would be a factor. Also, when I crossed 1000 PIC time in the CRJ I looked out my window and nobody was lined up to interview me!! 1000 is just the mins and not competetive right now. So where ever you go you will be there a while. And, sorry to my Beech buds, but I would rather have the ATR or jet time in my book. Remember your competition and you are going up against. We all pull for each other but we are all competitors as well. Everybody knows someone who moved on to a major from xyz freight/commuter but don't base your career on this. You don't know the full story so I would be very careful. Remember, seniority is everything! Good luck! Cheers-

I am pretty new at eagle. I would assume that, if I were to jump from one regional to another the sooner the better, right??

If your goal is one of those Majors;

121 PIC Turbine is GOLD!

Get as much of it as you can as soon as you can.

Cheers!

Latest resources

Back