• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What does the CFII ride involve?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The examiner walked into the room and literally said this will be the easiest checkride you'll ever take. The hardest thing I had to do was describe how the airspeed indicator works.

On a related note, why is it that the CFII applicant has to take the checkride under the hood when you never wear a hood while giving instrument instruction.

On a related note, why is it that the CFII applicant has to take the checkride under the hood when you never wear a hood while giving instrument instruction.

Good question. I always wondered the same. I suppose some hoodwork is necessary just so you know how to fly the airplane from the right seat if you're in actual, but seriously, I think they should have you learn to do the opposite. Personally, I find it harder to fly instruments when you can see outside vs. being under a hood. That was a pretty big adjustment to me when I started teaching instruments.

For everyone else: The easiest checkride they ever took; an afterthought.

For me: Four hours of pure sweet hell. I was unwittingly paired with one of the biggest arsholes in aviation that I had ever met, or met since. It was almost three years ago and I'm still a little t.o.'d.

Moral of the story: This could be the easiest ride of your life, or it could be the hardest, depending on which side of the bed the examiner woke up on. Be ready for anything. My initial CFI was far easier than the CFII.

-Goose

Oral(45min) Teach: holds and DME arcs, primary/supporting inst

Flight (1.1) Teach: basic instrument flying, unusual attitudes, normal ILS
Fly: steep turns, partial panel vor approach.

piece of cake:)

Now my CFI-G checkride, on the other hand... that was wicked easy. One question on the oral, and .6 flight... and the question came after the flight while we were doing paperwork. I guess it helped that I had done my commercial glider with the same guy a few weeks earlier...

-Goose

My ride was a little airwork. Stalls/slow flight under the hood before we did that we did a ILS then did the airwork then went partial panel then a VOR partial panel. That was it. MEI was actually harder but thats because the DPE I use thinks too many people get complacent in multis. (not that they don't in instrument conditions) MEI ride every landing was a SE.

Now my CFI-G checkride, on the other hand... that was wicked easy. One question on the oral, and .6 flight... and the question came after the flight while we were doing paperwork. I guess it helped that I had done my commercial glider with the same guy a few weeks earlier...

-Goose

Don't leave us hanging. What was the question?

glorified instrument ride, with certification questions. talk your way through every thing.

Latest resources

Back