Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What does anybody that has flown the ERJ think of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did a little research,

Perhaps TOO little research. The Republic side flies all of the old Mid Atlantic aircraft. Shuttle flies different 170s for Delta and United.

Minor detail though... Those two, and CHQ are all one big "happy" family now... more or less.

Sigh... I've written a couple ASAP reports where I've had the yoke full to the stop at touchdown with flaps 45. Company won't buy flaps 22 perf. data from our current vendor, we keep hearing that the new performance vendor will have customized data for each runway AND multiple flap settings. Sure enough the latest GOM revision shows a new performance vendor, FOR THE CRJ, we're still muddling along with APG on this bird.

Pluses: automated systems, lots of electrical backup, more capable APU then CRJ (we can start our assisted re-lights at FL250), crew closet, Fadec Lite, and I can open the windows for a breeze during spring/summer/fall.

Minuses: CRJ systems, though requiring more pilot workload, appear more big-airplane robust, I've never heard of CRJ leaving bags behind because of ZFW or max cargo compartment limitations, LOUD cockpit, LOUD cockpit, LOUD cockpit, and flaps 45 landings....
Flaps 22 landing speeds are only 5 KTS more than flaps 45, in gusty x-winds flaps 22 works great.

are you AE and XJET guys approved for flaps 22 takeoffs?

At ExpressJet we are approved for flaps 18 takeoffs. I have ony had to do 3 in 2 years though. and I think 2 maybe even all were in an XR using ETO and flaps 18 on a short runway close to 53,000# on a hot day.

Flaps 22 landing speeds are only 5 KTS more than flaps 45, in gusty x-winds flaps 22 works great.

True, the speed is only 5 kts faster. The problem is, the plane feels like crap that slow at flaps 22. So alot of guys fly faster than the 5 kt increase because it "feels" better. Hence, longer roll outs, ect.

I flew a little fast early on becasue of this but then I flew with a guy one trip that just kept saying "your 8 knots fast, your 5 knots fast, your 5 knots fast, your 4 knots fast, all the way down the whole trip. By the end of the trip he fixed that problem and I have been on speed from there on out.
Moot point I guess with the new FIL. Sounds like only to use 22 when necessary now.

I flew a little fast early on becasue of this but then I flew with a guy one trip that just kept saying "your 8 knots fast, your 5 knots fast, your 5 knots fast, your 4 knots fast, all the way down the whole trip. By the end of the trip he fixed that problem and I have been on speed from there on out.
Moot point I guess with the new FIL. Sounds like only to use 22 when necessary now.

Agreed.

I like the guys that talk about how they can grease it on better at 22. Not me, I can pound that thing on just as good with 22 as I can with 45.

Landing it smooth by keeping the flare going with flaps 45 seems easy to me. But landing it kind of flat and smooth so it touches down at ref and stays down (the way we supposed to at least at my company) is hard. I have watched my IOE Cap doing it constantly that way for three days into DCA. So it can be done but he had several thousand hours in it and he seemed a pretty able pilot.

Latest resources

Back