Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do you love about your chosen city of residence?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FedEx - Memphis

The best part of living in Memphis is it makes working for FedEx easy. Housing is not too expensive and winter is short and mild.

Cons:
It's flat, no usable water (for water sports), screwed up politics, racial tentions, bible belt buckle.

Goose17

Destin/Ft Walton Beach!

Emerald Coast
It's been great. No complaints. The house did well in the last few hurricanes. Sometimes to many Snowbirds and othertimes, to many tourists. Streets are getting crouded. Beaches still the best. Diving is awsom if you like spear fishing. Fishing is awsom if you like fishing. Crab Island is awsom if you like female sight seeing:eek:
The wife gets pissed every time we go there. I tell her we ran aground and will have to wait until the tide changes. She never asks why the other boats are moving around though. I guess that cover will work for a while:) .

Vector4fun said:
Well that's one option I suppose. For myself, I don't care to spend $1400 or more per year for UT tickets, so when I'm not at a golf course or little country airport, I sit on the back deck with a lemonade or Shiner and watch the deer and hummingbirds...:cool:

Dude your making me jeolous. I grew up North of Fort Worth. I miss the DFW area SO much. Ive lived in Tulsa, Chicago and now in Rockford (not really rockford but a little farm town north of Rockford). DFW is deffinitly my favorite place to live. Nice HOT summers, short winters, LOTS to do....HOT women. Great thunderstorms......i would miss see the corn fields in Iowa and Illinois though. Im being serious, the country views in the midwest are BEAUTIFUL. Love to take my motorcycle and go ride all day long.

Chicago is nice too....if you like the city. Its the city of all citys. Lots of traffic, lots of stupid people, lots of money to do anything. Has some great bars/clubs.

Was born in IL......DIDN'T care for it, but was young then...

Moved to MI...Lansing area.....too cloudy, too rainy, and too **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** cold all the time. The lakes are pretty and the fall...but other than that, no thanks.

Moved to IN.....Indianapolis is a nice city, people start to get a bit warmer here...friendly. Not to pretty unless you go farther south, mild weather and temps.

Moved to KY....Louisville area. BEAUTIFUL area, friendly people, and nice weather. I liked it quite a bit. Rolling hills, mountains, and if you like horses, its the best place to be.

Moved to FL....... Love it. Warm weather, sunny skies, beaches, ocean, diving, good fishing, sometimes friendly people, always something to do...

I guess I just "migrated" south..... eventually I hope to end up on a island...south of Bimini...

I have found some good in every place that I have been. Adding to the quality of life, my mood and perception in a positive way has been definately affecting by whether I was commuting or not. I am not a good commuter!

Ocala Florida-

Pros - Small town, great weather, real estate was very reasonable. I rented for about 300/month (a decade ago)
cons - No culture, not my kind of hunting or fishing

Minneapolis -
Absolutely loved everything about it except for the weather in the winter. I should have stayed. Excellent hunting and fishing
Cold, Cold winters though!

St. Louis -
In the Mississippi flyway, what more can you ask for. Hotter summers than Miami, sticky as honey too!

Michigan - Depends where u live. My opinion is that the further north you go the better. Good hunting and fishing although it's getting a little crowded. Lots of sprawl. Winters can be tough, that's why I bid Florida layovers in the winter.

Chicago burbs -
cons- Yuck! Very sterile living in my opinion. You've got all the culture you want downtown but it's expensive, time consuming and way too many
people.
pros - closer drive to the Dakotas and Iowa for some fine bird hunting!

North Dakota/South Dakota/Iowa (never lived there, only in my dreams!)
Pros - What more can u ask for! Population dwindling, real estate- can pick up several hundred acres for the cost of a two bedroom place in SOCal. Bird hunting's great, good fishing too.
Cons - No jobs. Any corporate types out there know of a job? I'll trade u mine!:)

My travels...

Born and raised in San Juan, PR. What can I say? I had to move to the states to realize the weather had spoiled me. Now I'm beggin' to move back south.

SJU (TJSJ for the ICAO freaks) Pros: Caribbean weather. Enough said. It's so perfect it's ridiculous. The wind ALWAYS blows from the E-NE. Flying is easy, and the scenery, JHC!
Did I mentioned the weather was perfect? As for the hurricane thing, wayy overblown (no pun intended), and this applies to FL as well.

4 days of 120MPH wind = 361 days of freggin' perfect weather!! I've personally been thru 5 of those suckers, big deal! They ain't that bad, just don't be the idiot standing outside wondering "could I practice my x-wind landings today?"

Cons: No jobs. No jobs. No jobs. Crime rate sucks. City cannot handle the traffic, badly planned, decades behind current population scale. Also, not a problem for me, but if ya ain't bilingual it could be tough.

Have also lived in Atlanta, GA. I miss that place, big city but didn't feel too big. Weather is tolerable. Plenty of things to do. Flying was interesting (nothing like getting your private right under ATL class Bravo on the summer). Good looking girls. Housing getting a little high but considering other places, it's worth it. Love the south, closest to the weather that spoiled me back home, this side of the Mississippi of course...

Tuscaloosa, AL...well, being from PR suffice to say I spent more time teaching geography during parties than hooking up...as if that was gonna happen with my last name down there. Beautiful country, it's a shame people are still backwards, did make worthwhile friendships though. Same weather as ATL basically. Cheap cost of living is the biggest pro for me there.

Lafayette, IN ....sh%t where do I begin....weather $uck$ a big one. This is ridiculous! Stupid 4000 degree temperature gradient in 24 hours and wind that'll flip your car over if ya drive faster than 2MPH...great for x-winds right? Snow, no thank you I'll pass. People are blue half the time cause the weather sucks so bad and it reflects on you too. Unless I was one of them professor folks here at Purdue hoggin' the tenure teet and making 6 figures, I'd pass it.

Would move back to PR if it was economically sound, which is not. Closest thing right now is to set up shop in FL and scour the flying opportunities in the Caribbean. Ultimate goal would be to commute between FL and SJU and stop everywhere in between...throttle in one hand, knee on the control, left hand on the piña colada, window open..after that you can pull the plug I'd go home happy. :D

Why I live South of Dallas....

Come to work today and there's a Ground Stop to DEN for UAL and FFT flights, supposedly they can't keep up with the de-icing.

It's Freaking April 10!

Brrrrr. I'm gonna have to go watch the Masters with a sweater on just to get over the mental image....;)

The weather in SW FL does rock most of the time.(except during the hurricanes last year)

I have lived here 30 years and last year was the worst.

Oceanside, CA

Pros: Mostly clear days (except for June...), Great flying weather most of the time. North of Class B airspace of SAN. Great beaches, lots of entertainment

Cons: Living costs (housing, gas, etc), traffic congestion (especially in summer), June gloom, illegal aliens, poor public schools

Portland, OR

Pros: Decent cost of living compared to other west coast cities, 2 hrs from the beach, 1 hr from the Gorge & Mt Hood with great hiking, camping, skiing, etc. If you're into boating, the Columbia and Willamette Rivers offer good boating & several marinas. Can live across the river in WA and pay no income tax, shop in OR and pay no sales tax. Portland has lots to do between great restaurants, a decent music scene, and some really nice parks. Like Seattle, lots of good coffee houses. Microbrews, too.

Cons: If you come here straight from SoCal, as I did, the slow drivers will piss you off. Winters are wet and windy, although not as wet as Seattle and somewhat warmer. The economy here is somewhat depressed, with unemployment higher than most other west coast cities. Panhandlers are pretty aggressive here. And like SF, be prepared to deal with angry anarchist/pinko mobs staging mass protests against Bush, Iraq, Wal-Mart, The Man, or Western Civilization in general.

Latest resources

Back