What do you guys do to stay healthy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rally said:
What do you guys do to stay healthy/keep your medical? Any of you take supplements or anything? I assume exercise. How do you eat somewhat healthy on the road?

Beer...ultramarathons...wine...ultramarathons....then more beer....then...

well, training I guess....

then there are those pesky 100 milers

I'll try to give you quick rundown.

Exercise(weight lifting and/or cardio work) is definitely beneficial. You don't have to go all out or anything, but atleast 3 days a week. The way you exercise will also depend upon factors like your age, and what kind of health your in currently. As always, you should ask a doctor if it's fine to exercise, but since pilots have medical examinations I'm assuming your in somewhat good shape, but you only know. Exercise can reduce risk of heart disease, diabetes, increase sense of well being, reduce LDL cholesterol, increase muscle mass and bone density, etc....... Also, another misconception of cardio is thinking of treadmills, and stairs. Just find something fun to do to stay in shape like a sport (tennis, basketball), bike-riding, swimming, or many other activities.

As you probably know, diet and exercise go hand in hand. Eating "clean" foods is always best, but not always accessible to pilots. Buying fresh foods from the market that you cook yourself is great and enables you to see what's going into your meal. Eating healthier foods can also reduce problems like high cholesterol, blood pressure, heart disease, and others. Since pilots are away often, they normally eat out a lot. Soooo, if you have to eat out try to maintain a more healthy life-style by picking foods at a resteraunt with a lower content of saturated fat. For example, isntead of ordering cheese mashed potatoes loaded with cheese, sour cream, and butter, try ordering a baked potatoe(becomes less healthy if you obviously load butter and sour cream to that as well). Instead of a hamburger that contains much more saturated fat from ground beef, eat a grilled chicken burger instead. You don't have to have completely boring meals just be aware of what your having. I have a burger or steak sometimes because I feel like it, but it's more of a once in awhile type thing for me. That's also one of the things about eating healthier. Most people just stop eating what they love to be more healthy. If you like cookies, have one or two not 6. As long as the calories are the same over the days time, you shouldn't fluctuate too much. There are good types of fat like Olive oil which is mono-unsaturated fat. As long is that is eaten in in moderation it's good to include in the diet. You need your carbs (for many purposes like ENERGY, and glycogen replenishment, etc) and protein also. The RDA for protein is .8g per kilogram of bodyweight. You will most likely need more if your active and weight training. Protein is vital in body functions. It's not just to repair muscle's. Protein is used for growth and repair of tissue, transporting, immune, fluid balance, etc.......

If your looking for more muscle mass weight lifting is key. You have to stimulate the muscle in order for it to grow. If you want to lower bodyfat weight lifting can help maintain the muscle while your on a lower calorie diet. It's simple to understand how the either gain, maintain, or loose weight. If you consume more calories through your diet than your body needs for energy and normal body function you will gain weight because your body will store the unused calories as fat. If you eat less than your body needs you will loose weight. I'm sure you can guess by now why you maintain weight, right?

If your goal is to loose weight you need to create a calorie deficit of some sort, whether it's from diet alone, or exercise. I recommend both. More fat will be burned through implenting excersise in a weight loss program compared to just creating the deficit solely by diet, and this is considering the same calorie shortage is equal for both sides. When I loose weight I normally go for a pound a week. If I do more than that I loose more muscle. I know people who shoot for 2 pounds a week, and that works for them. You don't want to sacrifice much muscle if any at all. The more muscle mass a person has, the more calories their body will burn.

There is roughly 3500 in a pound of fat. Now, if you wanted to loose a pound of fat per week, you must be create the deficit reachy 3500 calories over the 7 days. Let's say you can maintain weight on 2500 calories a day. If you eat 500 calories below maintenance calories, which means you would be eating 2000 calories per day. Since you are eating 500 calories less than your maintenace over seven day's that means you had 3500 calories less over the weeks time (500cal X 7 days=3500 calories). The same goes for gaining weight, but you would have extra calories in the diet instead of a deficit.

You probably know this as well, but that's alright. If you were wondering where the calories came from, it's the macronutrients. Carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram, protein has 4 calories per gram as well, and fat has 9 calories per gram. Say you consume 30 grams of protein one meal, 50 grams of carbs, and 15 grams of fat. This meal would consist of 455 calories (30g Protein X 4cal/per g= 120 calories; 50g Carbs X 4cal/per g= 200 calories; 15g Fat X 9= 135 calories. 120+200+135=455 total calories)

Since your a pilot, staying healthy is important because of the obvious reasons above, and more, but also for your career. It should be more of a life long commitment. The people that look for a short term fix normally gain the weight back quickly, and more than than they had before. This is most likely because they eat everything they didn't eat while on their diet, and overindulge. This is basically the tip of the iceberg, but it should help you get started. Do all the research you can, and educate yourself on exercise/nutrition.

Good luck, and sorry if the things I described were breif, but you could write books and books about exercise/nurition and all the different aspects involved. That's why there are so many out there, even though some aren't that good at all.

Last edited:
Yes BJJ is similiar to wrestling. Overall the best martial art in the world if you really want to learn to defend yourself. It's not like "traditional" Martial arts at all. Chek out www.BJJ.org for a little history.

Yes we trained from 6-8 am every morning. This was a conditioning practice. VERY VERY intense cardio/anaroebic workout. Not uncommon for people to puke at these. Trash cans were placed around the room for this purpose. These were not fun at all, no wrestling it was all drilling. I hated these. We also had a 4-6 PM practice were we practiced actually wrestling. Also very intense. I would quite often lift weights 4 days a week in the mid afternoon, other guys would also run, I didn't though. I hate running. On a scholorship we had to weigh in once a week to make sure we made weight. I'm 6'3 215 naturally and I wrestled 190 lbs. There were many days were I had to make the decision between eating and drinking beer. But to answer your question I know bodybuilders and powerlifters are so fearful of overtraining, but in wrestling the coaches would laugh at you if you told them you thought you were overtraining. I don't put much stock in the over training theory either. I would finish every season in nothing less than great shape. Strong with good lungs and I hardly ever got sick. I seem to get sick more often now with colds, and sinus infections than I ever did when I was in really good shape.

urflyingme?! said:
Is sushi healthy? I think it is, but anybody know?(I need justifcation!)

mmm, no, not really. At least, what most people talk about when they talk about sushi. A lot of the rolls have cream cheese or tempura fried crab or things like that. However, if you want to stick to standard nigiri-type stuff (piece of fish on a bed of rice) then yes it's healty. Of course, if you're one of those Atkins people then the rice would be verboten.

Bottom line, no it's not all healthy. Yes, it's most certainly better for you than Wendy's or McDonald's. Yes, it's fairly difficult to find on the road. And yes, it's really really really good.

Alright, I haven't been around the board long but I am going to poke in on this issue.

First off you can ridicule all you want but here it goes...(havent really told many people, but need to, so this may be a bit long.)

I was/am obese. At 21 yrs old, 5'11',' and nearly 365lbs at late last year I was on a fast track to meet my maker. Beginning of January my life changed, I was sitting at the computer eating out of a ginormous 5lb industrial size bag of gummi bears when the little light inside my head turned on and about blinded me. I realized I was killing myself by doing this and vowed from that moment I was changing my life. Literally the next morning started the change. No more dollar menu egg mcmuffins (2) and hashbrowns(2) from Mickey D's for breakfast, other random fast food for lunch and dinner. A typical breakfast now is an apple or banana and a cup of nonfat yogurt. Or one package plain flavor instant oatmeal with 1 serving of unsweetened applesauce on top. Lunch is protein baked in the oven (chicken breast mostly. 1 or 2 servings of red meat during the week.) and a green veggie of some sort. Salad, broccolli, spinach etc to go with it. Dinner is the same. Not eating late at night now, last meal before 7 - 730pm

I am not saying it was easy the first few weeks, but I stuck with it and didn't cheat at all from my plan. It is the best thing I have and will ever do for myself. I feel fantastic, Since January I have lost about 40 to 45lbs just with my diet alone. I am now starting to do some cardio that I couldn't do before and enjoy it while getting healthy. It has been a major lifestyle change and I wouldn't trade it for the world itself. I feel cleaner inside as wierd as it may seem but my body is thanking me. I have no desire for sweets or junk food anymore. I tried to eat a bite of birthday cake from a coworker last week and spit it out because it was so sweet I just couldn't eat it, it was gross to me now. I can eat anywhere to, Mickey D's will sell a piece of grilled chicken for 1 dollar and a side salad for a buck as well. Makes for a cheap lunch. Portion sizes changed for me to, I cannot eat as much as I used to.

Hoping to get into a career in aviation has been a good motivation for me recently as well. The more I do better the easier it will be. Don't need giant pilots flying freight, need that extra 100lbs of cargo room. I also don't have a set weight goal other than I am doing this for my health and maybe somewhere down near 240lbs is realistic. I didn't put it on overnight so I don't think I will wake up skinny tomorrow but I know I will one morning in my future.

One last thing about losing the weight that sucks, It is hard enough to afford some stuff but buying new dress clothes for work (current bank employee) every couple months is starting to add up quick.

Thats my health story, never really told anyone the whole thing kinda feels good to tell people. And one last thing, is it really any harder to find work as a pilot being bigger ?

Last edited:
Good for you. Thats a pretty motivational post. I've been a natural runt my entire life, but I still have a lot of respect for people who have such a high level of motivation and discipline. Our company has some pretty big guys, I don't think its a problem as long as you can pass a medical. Best of luck.

I can't wait to get home to start lifting every day...and then of course there's "cardio with the wife" ;)

*thinking to myself*
less than two weeks, less than two weeks

My eating is pretty under control now...not as many binges as I used to have...

There are still days when I have bad days where I get stressed and eat...but aside from that, I'm pretty good now.

If I could eliminate carbonated beverages from my diet (drinking diet pepsi/coke and flavored water) I think I'd be better and once I start working out (lifting), I'm sure I'll be in shape in no time.

-mini

Tatt2's keep it up man. If you can pass the pysical you'll be fine. 200-250 shouldn't be a prob.

Latest resources

Back