What do you guys do to stay healthy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The physical itself isn't too bad.

Vision (pretty straight forward - get to see some funky pictures), BP (the part I'm worried about - I like the salt), listen to the heart (can't do a whole lot about that one), pee test (don't play baseball before your physical :rolleyes:)....

then the, "any problems?"
"no sir, feel great!"
"okay...no restrictions, type it up for him"

Time waiting: 55 minutes
Time in exam: 3 minutes

That was the 2nd class medical anyway...not sure what my 1st class will be like...find out in 3 weeks though.

-mini

Nicotine, caffeine and sugar...the breakfast of champions.

When not doing that I walk a lot and when at home my wife makes me eat the good stuff...except when she wants a cheeseburger.

Props to Fly4Tatts! I'm lucky--I eat like crap and I don't put on weight, but I'm starting to realize that it will not be that way forever. Keep up the good work, bro!

-Goose

What kinda flight surgeons do you people go to????

My flight surgeon owns his own helicopter, and works in blue jeans and a t-shirt.

My first class medical certificate consisted of peeing in a cup, putting a quarter in a scale to get my weight (yes, it really took a quarter) The normal stethoscope deal, turning my head as far left and right, and then he asked could you hear me with both ears when I came in the room? Ok, here it is, keep er shiny side up!

Oh yeah $80 dollars, and the short conversation on how bad the FAA sucks.

It sounds like some of you guys get the book thrown at you.

Fly4Tatt2s:

Rock on man, good luck.

Coming back to exercise after an injury can be really tough, so lay off on those competition workouts unless you really want to compete. One can stay healthy by 'just doing your time'. 20 minutes, get the heart pounding, at least 3x per week.

After donating a shoulder to an airline doing a form of 'exercise' by loading bags, it took 3 years from the last surgery to heal enough to attempt exercise. In the time it took to get to the last surgery, I'd gained well over 40 pounds and lost all of my endurance. I'd also lost the ability to do my favorite exercise, swimming.

Starting up again has been very tough. It continues to be tough.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

My guy was a retired Air Force Flight Surgeon, so I always got a lecture about being too heavy at 5'6" and 163 lbs (back then :) ). And he tested hearing in one of those anechoic booths--another part of the exam I always seemed to just barely squeak through (he consulted a book of medical standards every time he saw my test results). At least the EKG was straightforward. Still, he'd issue the First Class with no restrictions--a pass is a pass.

Yeah sodas and snack machines were my friends for a while. Not anymore that probably has helped a big deal.
Other than the weight my doctors have always said I am extremely healthy. Hopefully get my medical done next week.
Thanks for the comments guys it does make me feel good.

I got back into boxing in 2002 after having grown up boxing back home thru the Boys Club. Great exercise on par with the guys doing Martial Arts (BJJ??? Geez you guys are madmen;)

Now I also try to get back into the lifestyle I was in before I graduated high school. Roadwork early in the morning, nothing crappy to eat during the day, ropework, bagwork, and calisthenics in the eve. Sparring once a month just to keep myself sharp.

Rook

Latest resources

Back