Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do the SWA guys lose by not making a deal with FAPA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

INTL flying. (SWA management doesn't trust them) ATL gates.(BHM is close...) DCA gates and slots. More LGA slots. ANC. Denver dominance. Service to the Inter-Mountain West on the Dash-8-400 fleet---actually a good prop with a lot of seats---one SWA would use if they had their own. A place to put their incoming 737s. Some upgrades that will now mirror the economy. Making sure Republic didn't get too big.

Oh well, you can gettum next time! Gary Kelly must be shaking his head right now.....And, thanks again Age 65....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Gary Kelly wanted F9--he offered a lot more money than Republic did. Swapa could have come up with some deal that was more fair than a staple. That is simply ridiculous.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Gary Kelly wanted F9--he offered a lot more money than Republic did. Swapa could have come up with some deal that was more fair than a staple. That is simply ridiculous.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General, I understand what you are trying to say. You are speaking from the perspective of a MERGER with two relatively healthy airlines of relatively equal size.

The SWA deal is a BUYOUT for BANKRUPTSY. I would be "simply ridiculous" for the F9 guys to think they deserve straight up relative seniority.

Gup

The SWA deal is a BUYOUT for BANKRUPTSY. I would be "simply ridiculous" for the F9 guys to think they deserve straight up relative seniority.

Gup

If you have faith in that argument than you should bring it to the negotiations, absent a negotiated agreement you should bring it to a nuetral arbitrator who will balance all the equities in the merger situation and construct a fair and equitable seniority list that recognizes each pilot groups contribution.

By far the best road forward is a negotiated list, while straight relative seniority might not work, a staple appears to be way out of line. The F9 pilots bring gates, slots, passengers and growth opportunities that SWA needs. It is not for nothing that SWA is willing to pony up $170M,

If you have faith in that argument than you should bring it to the negotiations, absent a negotiated agreement you should bring it to a nuetral arbitrator who will balance all the equities in the merger situation and construct a fair and equitable seniority list that recognizes each pilot groups contribution.

By far the best road forward is a negotiated list, while straight relative seniority might not work, a staple appears to be way out of line. The F9 pilots bring gates, slots, passengers and growth opportunities that SWA needs. It is not for nothing that SWA is willing to pony up $170M,

I don't disagree with you. If I was a F9 pilot I would rather take my chances with an arbitrator. It can't get any worse than a staple. SWA pilots have more to lose by going to arbitration.

I MIGHT be up for integration of some sort but I haven't heard anybody pony up a suggestion. Anything from me would include ZERO SWA pilots losing any seniority and heavy on the bottom with F9 guys.

If the #1 F9 guy thinks he should be slotted in next to the #1 SWA guy he's got another thing coming. 1994 at the earliest with 10:1 after and 300 on the bottom? How's that sound?

Gup

I don't disagree with you. If I was a F9 pilot I would rather take my chances with an arbitrator. It can't get any worse than a staple. SWA pilots have more to lose by going to arbitration.

I MIGHT be up for integration of some sort but I haven't heard anybody pony up a suggestion. Anything from me would include ZERO SWA pilots losing any seniority and heavy on the bottom with F9 guys.

If the #1 F9 guy thinks he should be slotted in next to the #1 SWA guy he's got another thing coming. 1994 at the earliest with 10:1 after and 300 on the bottom? How's that sound?

Gup

Gup,

I don't think relative should be supported, or DOH. Personally, I would start at the half way point in the SWA seniority list, and then throw one F9 guy in, and then 5 or so SWA guys. Something like that. Give some of the senior F9 guys some credit for longevity. You can then staple the Lynx guys, and then that would give some more protection. There you go.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Alpa should have created a national seniority list YEARS ago using straight DOH. Then these sort of situations could be avoided.

I do get tired of pilots putting other pilots down because their company is bankrupt. The company being bankrupt is no fault of the pilots just as the company being healthy has nothing to do with the pilots. Who knows? Maybe Southwest will go bankrupt in the next 25-30 years. If that happens, some of the junior SWA pilots will still be working at the time. SWA is one or two bad CEO's away from turning into a completely different company. Hell, your business model has already changed. Southwest now serves, LGA, BOS, IAD, PHL, LAX, DEN, etc. and a whole lot of other airports that are expensive to operate out of. Throw in the highest labor costs in the industry and no fuel hedging advantage and all of the sudden SWA has problems. Also, we all know how fast industry leading pay can go away.

Latest resources

Back