What constitutes an instrument approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nosehair said:
The purpose of the rule is to stay proficient on instrument approaches.
I'm sorry, but where did you get that idea? Even if you agree on the "all them way to minimums" interpretation, think about how little is required to meet it. Six familiar autopilot-coupled approaches to the home base spaced a month apart in severe clear and calm conditions with foggles and a safety pilot.

Wow! That's what I call "proficiency!"

Sounds to me more like bare legal currency - which to me has always meant nothing more than that the pilot has the right to decide for himself whether or not he's proficient. I can't think of a self-administered currency requirement that doesn't fit that description.

Sorry, in real instrument conditions, I'd rather be with the guy who flies in IMC all the time and regularly shoots approaches to 200-300' above minimums, even if, according to some, he's not really "current".

Well, that's really the crunch with all the regulation isn't it? Three landings in 90 days is enough? I don't believe that. Six hours in six months per the old rule was enough? Not really, and then they dropped the rule. Don't even get me started on this whole cockeyed sport pilot garbage...the requirements were insufficient for the private pilot level to begin with, then they created the idiotic recreational pilot certificate, and not satisfied with that, under pressure to the alphabet galleries, they watered down the standards and requirements even more and now we have...sport pilots.

The regulations set a legal minimum. Some of the requirements are well founded...written in "blood" as they say. Others set what might almost be an arbitrary middle ground standard.

Never the less...the regulation is what is is, and we needn't like it, only comply with it.

Of course, there is regulation preventing performing to a higher standard...

I think that is the problem everyone is having with this "opinion". It does nothing to foster a culture, it is simpley a "check the box" opinion that I feel if tested would not stand up in front of an ALJ. Not that I or anyone is going to go push it, but somewhere, someday, someone will be called to the carpet for doing 15 approaches in 6 months, but only 4 of those went to minimums and voila, vio lat ion!

This is probably the most important pilot "skill" reg there is, and to have someone that obviousely has little or no real world IFR expereince, or if he does is just completely clue les, does nothing for the rule.

After talking to some lawyer friends about this they reminded me of one important fact, lawyers do not make or enforce laws, the courts and appointed bodies do. So while this "opinion" may be out there, until it is upheld it is simpley a guide, a poorly written guide.

After talking to some lawyer friends about this they reminded me of one important fact, lawyers do not make or enforce laws, the courts and appointed bodies do. So while this "opinion" may be out there, until it is upheld it is simpley a guide, a poorly written guide.

In civil and criminal law, that's true. Administrative law is another ball of wax. In this case, it isn't one lawyer's opinion. It is the opinion of the FAA Administrator...the person that writes and enforces the law.

The closest example that could be had would be a dictator that writes the law, interprets the law, and then administers punishment when the dictator *thinks* someone has broken the law. That's the FAA Administrator. Under the regulation, you're guilty until proven innocent, anything you say will be used against you, you have no miranda rights, and you don't have the option to defend yourself against a judgement...only to appeal it once it's rendered.

The ALJ acts as an independent court in which the enforcement action of the FAA may be overturned. But the ALJ doesn't have the option of chaning the regulation, only in determining if you were in compliance with it. Likewise, the ALJ doesn't have the discretion to decide if the regulation is "fair," only to decide if you were in compliance with it.

When considering the regulation and weather you were in compliance, the ALJ will consider any interpretations or explainations of the regulation...in particular those made by the person who writes and prescribes the regulation. For purposes of weight, the legal interpretation is nothing more than an extention of the regulation in which the Administrator has further clarified what it means, and what's required to comply with it.

The Administrator not only writes and provides the regulation, but has the right ot determine what it means at any time...including in the middle of enforcement action (as is often done). That the mouthpiece for the Administrator uses the phraseology "in our opinion," should not be taken lightly...it's far more than just an opinion.

When you go before an ALJ to determine compliance with the regulation, you're not there as a test to see if the regulation is "okay." You're there to see if you complied with the letter of the regulation. Where interpretations of the regulation have been provided by the chief legal counsel, representing the Administrator, you're also there to see if you've complied with the interpretations, as they represent the official explaination of the meaning, intent, or application of the regulation.

Learn something new every day! I was under the impression the Administrator simpley "administered" the FAA while the Regs, (CFR part 14) was written and enforced by the federal government. Thanks for clearing that up, and thanks for the info!

You know, instead of pretending I know it all, I dug around and found this

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_05/14cfr13_05.html

interesting read if you are really bored.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I've got it all on disc...same disc the FAA uses, actually. And when I'm bored, I do sit and read it. Not for fun; I've been through the enforcement process twice. I cleared myself twice. I couldn't afford an attorney, and someone once told me that the best way to beat a red tape dealer is to know the tape better than he does.

The Administrator is the federal government. Everything the FAA does, it does on behalf of the Administrator. The Federal Aviation Administration is the Administration of the Administrator...this is why everything in all regulation comes back to "acceptable to the Administrator." Does the FAA Administrator personally write the regulation? No. But any employee of the FAA who writes the regulation has written it on behalf of the Administrator, and therefore, it's been written, provided, interpreted, and will be enforced by the Administrator.

The Administrator has this duty by nothing less than an Act of Congress, the Federal Aviation Act of 1958, as ammended.

avbug said:
The Administrator has this duty by nothing less than an Act of Congress, the Federal Aviation Act of 1958, as ammended.

Actually, The Act of 1958 was codified into the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) in 1998 as I recall. The Act of 1958 is no longer.

Normally a HQ person, or a group of people (sometimes industry people are involved) write a proposed regulation, it is sent to the FAA legal department for review, then sent out for public review as NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rule Making) then approved by the Administrator. (See CFR 11 for the process). How much the Congress get involved depends upon how much they want to get involved.... Remember EVERYTHING inside the beltway is political.

There is much more involved than just the Administrator making rules. With a rule that everyone agrees on (all the alphabet groups, congress, etc.), and with lightning speed, a CFR change can take two years. With any or all the groups in disagreement a rule may not pass the process ever or take many years to complete. This process was set up and approved by our elected representatives in DC. Your tax dollars at work.....

JAFI

Understood...my point was that the Administrator represents the final authority in the administration, which is not a democracy...who physically writes the regulation is irrelevant, as all regulation is written for and on behalf of the Administrator. Therein is the rub...weather the mouthpiece for the Administrator speaks, or the Administrator himself or herself speaks...it's the same.

JAFI said:
There is much more involved than just the Administrator making rules. With a rule that everyone agrees on (all the alphabet groups, congress, etc.), and with lightning speed, a CFR change can take two years. With any or all the groups in disagreement a rule may not pass the process ever or take many years to complete.

there's some truth to that, however do you recall the change which requried photo ids? No public input, no review, it was just handed down, effective immediately.

Dumbledore said:
So I have a question for all you guys who think avbug is BSing here.

Please try to be honest both intellectually and in terms of veracity. Have any of you ever actually known or talked to a member firefighting aircraft's crew? Have you ever taken the time to understand the TRULY unique challenges of that kind of flying?

These are simple questions that require only yes or no answers without embellishment or editorial comment.

So, what say you?

Well,
I am completing my first season flying CWN Air Attack. I can say that when a fire is creating a lot of its own convection and lifting, it's easy to hit stuff in the air that you would not expect to be there. I have not hit tree branches or such, but I have cleaned pine needles and twigs out of the engine air filter. and, I have returned to the hotel after a day of air attack and when I take a shower, my hair smells like I have been sitting next to a campfire.

I am an infrequent poster to this board. When I first got this fire fighting job in the spring, I think I exchanged a few pm's with AvBug about the job, and thanked him for his input. Then, I made a post about Aero Union or something like that (after a P3 fatal) where I guess I did not know what I was talking about and he put me in my place. Maybe even he was right, but it was a turn-off never-the-less. So, I did not post any further about this experience. If anyone wants to communicate with a pilot who has done one season as contract air attack pilot, PM me. Yeah, thats right... 1 season. I aint AvBug GOD, but I saw lots of relevant work in that industry. And, I will tell you my whole name, who I worked for, fires I was on... etc.. no BS! I have no interest in the industry long term. so no worries from me embelloshing or editorializing! I would post my experiences here, but I really am not interested in a lot of the crap that occurs on this forum, and this thread in perticular embodies it.

DeanR

Latest resources

Back