Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What are the first two or three months at CAL like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigoober

From my offer letter I see that training is eight to nine weeks. What is it like from there for the first couple of months? All assuming 737 EWR since the majority of pilots are put there.

Are you assigned a line for your IOE? Is IOE only for a month?

How long are the trips that first month?

Do you bid on that line or just assigned it?

I'm just trying to get a feel for life and get the family ready for that first taste of airline life since we have already figured out the financial part.

Thanks.

Congrats on your job offer! IOE is assigned to you by training scheduling. First they'll try to get you a 1 or 2 day out of IAH with a schoolhouse instructor to get some round-dial time. The rest of IOE should be out of EWR with a regular line check airman.

When it comes to bidding, a certain part of your first month will be blocked off for IOE. You will be able to bid for days off for the rest of the month. Right now reserve is running about 3 months for EWR 737. Good luck!

The first 3 months are way better then the rest of your career will be there.

If you really want to prepare your family for life at CAL. Move out and say goodbye to them now. Save them the pain starting now. PBS will ruin your home life.

yeah it's awful! I'm starting year 3 and i got christmas off, new years off, 16 days off on my line, and great trips!

It's awful!

Just started year two and have yet to work a holiday. Got Christmas and New Year's off this year as well. PBS still sucks and I can't wait till 08' for some sort of change but this month worked out OK. Bidding at 50% EWR 737.

Last edited:
Well, I'm still in year one, this is how it went for me.

IOE was assigned, no trips starting in IAH, just went straight to EWR to fly. Very straightforward, finished in 1 four day and 1 two day. After that, I was assigned reserve, with pro-rated days off. Scheduling actually called me as I was leaving the airport when I finished IOE to let me know I was on reserve the next day.
Reserve lasted a whole month and a half, 737 EWR, but I flew every single day I was legal to fly. Don't expect to sit much on reserve, I was up to FAR limits the entire time.
That being said, reserve wasn't too bad, since I bid long call, and got it, so there wasn't any stress about making it to the airport. Every trip I got showed up on the computer, and I just checked in without ever talking to scheduling.
After that comes regular lines, a nice change, but figuring out PBS is a massive pain. I'm still working on that.

So, expect to have 12 days off for a while, but things are moving quickly and hopefully we can change the contract for the better.

Congratulations! CAL is one of the very best airlines out there and you are one lucky guy to get that job as hundreds, if not thousands like you have competed hard for that class slot.

First of all, get ready for some of the hottest stews in the business, Just about everyone of them a near 10. They're pilot friendly and really like to party hard with the rest of the crews. Layovers in HNL or GUM will be just one big orgy with no end in sight. Hang on as this is going to be one hell of a ride. They don't care if your married or not, so why should you.

Everything from the airplanes to the President of the company, classiest act in the airline business today. The B707-320C's were made for this operation. A few MAC charters in and out of Nam will make you realize just how really fortunet you really are.

Whta'ya mean wake up.....I guess I just dozed off dreaming about the good old days. Oh well...congratulations anyway.

Last edited:
Just started year two and have yet to work a holiday. Got Christmas and New Year's off this year as well. PBS still sucks and I can't wait till 08' for some sort of change but this month worked out OK. Bidding at 50% EWR 737.

Ah, the difference.....EWR vs IAH & CLE 737...

1 year in IAH will get you 83% in BES on the 737

EWR CAPT 2 years, IAH or CLE Capt 6 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back