• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What are my Chances?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would a major, when they eventually do start hiring, look beyond the thousands of guys with 121 experience. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because it obviously does, but the competition to get into a major is fierce. I know that my company cut several guys during IOE recently - the reason: lack of 121 experience put them behind the curve when they went into the busier airports, among other things. With your times, you might as well jump in now at a regional and try to keep the 91 gig going on the side.

35 is still young, don't sweat it.

Try B6, they'll hire you if you are willing to clean the cabin, regardless of your experience.

Why would a major, when they eventually do start hiring, look beyond the thousands of guys with 121 experience.

To get employees that would care about the job.

I would say stick around and get some more turbine PIC. You shouldn't have a problem getting on with a regional with a little more time. I don't think it will turn them off that you have too much of it although there is always the concern of you leaving sooner than later. And 34 isn't that old. I think the average new hire at a major is somewhere around the mid 30's anyway.

Not neccessarily true. Guys get hired out of corporate but it is fewer than the 121 guys. Do what is best for you and your family. You might find the right corporate job oneday and decide to stick with that. 34 is not to old.

This is true. I have flown with several ex-corporate folks here at SWA and at ATA however, none of them were pure turboprop corporate. All had corp. jet experience. It is possible to go from 135 and 121 turboprop only to a major but I just haven't seen any 91 t-prop to major folks. I am sure there is somebody that fits this category but they are definitely in the minority.

.....but in a "year" you upgraded to a KA200 to fly single pilot at say 1000-1200tt - who let you do this? Sounds a little fishy.

Why is it that so many people in the corporate world think that flying a turbine aircraft takes some kind of special magic? This isn't rocket science....Fact is turbine (turboprop or jet) are WAY easier and safer than pisten aircraft. Other than the cost of operation, learning in a jet would be easier than a piston.

Just my $0.02....

Baja.

Oh yeah...to answer your question....Keep building your TT and keep your eyes open for a jet job, f/o or capt, and keep moving up the ladder. Be careful to choose good companies that are stable, have good rep's, and have upward movement. Good luck!!!

Baja.

I started flight school in April 2002 at 28 and finished in Dec. 03. I walked right into a job flying a Piper Chieftain single pilot and upgraded to a King Air 200 in less than a year. All this time is part 91 but its single pilot multi turbine with me calling all the shots. My question is what are my chances of making it to a Major without flying for a Regional or in other words part 121 or 135 time in my log book. I am still low time with 1600 TT and about 800 Multi and 400 turbine pic. but lets say in another 1000 to 1500 hours would I have a chance without the 121 time.

Sperfly,

Keep plugging away. Remember its a very small world in our business so don't piss anyone off if you can help it. Most importantly you need to network! Figure out where you want to go and network within that company. Right or wrong I've seen to many times, it's not what you know but who you know!!! Good luck!

Seconding the guy who said it's who you know. having too much time coming into the 2007 hiring boom will work against you.

Latest resources

Back