• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What are my Chances?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you guys saying that 2000 or so total time for him is too much time? I'd say get a good 1000 hours of turbine PIC under your belt, even if it is 91, then jump to a jet regional.

Sperfly--

Your career progression is very impressive so far... nice job. IMHO, going straight to a major with your turbine-time experience being turbo-prop only is possible, but you might have to compensate by having more total time than if you had 121 or jet experience. My class at SW had some guys with turbo-prop only turbine time, including me. The part that might work against (or at least not for) you is that almost all airlines work at least a two-person crew, and I think if they are going to hire a guy with prop-jet experience only, they would like to see a good amount of crew experience. If you are going to stay with your company, I'd see about flying the BE-350 (I think it requires a compliment of two). If you are going to leave and go to a regional, I'd recommend waiting until you have 1300 PIC turbine so you will have the required experience for FedEx and SW, as long as you are earning hours at your current job at a pretty good rate.

Good luck!
V1 ROT8

I definitly thank you guys for the input. And I agree that flying turbine AC is much easier and safer than pistons I spent more time than I wanted to below 12000 in the Navajo with less weather avoidance equipment than whats in the KA200. As far as CRM goes I fly probably 70-80% single pilot and the rest I will carry a co-pilot along and do the whole CRM thing. Like I said I was just curious about my chances down the road I fell very lucky to be where I'm at so soon. My primary flight instructor spent more than 4 years instructing before he finally got to a regional, I only did it for 6 months and enjoyed every bit of it.

sperfly....

It's all a crapshoot now a days.

Actually, I believe it's all ball bearings, nowadays.

But seriously-

I was a 135/91 guy who got hired at 35 with 3000tt. I have friends with similar experience but no 121 who got hired at SWA, JB, etc. The difference, to me, is that we had jet PIC time and crew time, and flew for operators with SOP's, CRM, etc. etc.

What I would recommend is keep on building that King Air time until you get 1000 turbine PIC. Then, find a jet job, preferably one that comes with a type rating. Now, at least, you're flying as part of a crew, in a jet, and hopefully doing a lot of networking along the way.

Good luck . . . . and you're not too old, not by a long shot.

Latest resources

Back