• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What are competitive times for SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just recently finished at HPA and met with SWA HR reps. They said they are currently pulling apps with 1500 to 1700 and above turbine PIC. They hinted they would likely go down as hiring picks up next year. They also confirmed they have almost a years supply of apps with 737 type rating and it is prerequisite for now.

3700 TT
2300 PIC Turbine
4 types
No call yet.

Good luck to you all!

APP - Jan 2004 right at 1000 PIC turbine
Typed - Feb 2004 K&S
Total Time - 5300
PIC Turbine - 1550
Turbine total - 2700
Civilian background
121 Airline...previous 135 Night Crawler in light recips and Instructor

No Call Yet. Patiently trying to build PIC time on reserve while reading every book on SWA I can get my hands on. "Nuts" has proved to be very interesting and I am about to crack "The Southwest Airlines Way" to see what that author has to say. Good luck to all of us waiting for interview calls and for those lucky enough to get the prized "continue" call.

Varmint said:
"Nuts" has proved to be very interesting and I am about to crack "The Southwest Airlines Way" to see what that author has to say. Good luck to all of us waiting for interview calls and for those lucky enough to get the prized "continue" call.
I read "Nuts" and thought it was great, but then bought "The SWA Way" and didn't get 1/4 of the way through and put it down. The book just seemed way too technical, and got into various business models that SWA has been successful with. Who knows, you may like it, but it just was not what I expected, nor was looking for.

App May 02
4900 tt
2200 PIC turbine
B737 type Oct 98
1,000 B737 time
originally hired to SWA APR 00 (board) for a SEP 00 class
went to a DAL Aug 00 class instead (knew in my heart I was screwing the pooch at the time)
Furloughed May 02, looks like recall Jan/Feb 05
Praying the phone rings for an interview every day

Just received the call for an interview on Monday the 22nd.

6800 TT
4000 PIC JET/TURBO
5 TYPES
4 YEAR DEGREE
PART 121 CHECKAIRMAN

KEEP THE FAITH, IF YOU HAVE A TYPE YOU WILL GET A CALL SOONER OR LATER. 750 + NEXT YEAR.

Just finished IOE (skies no longer safe)

Interviewed May 15
Continued June
Oct. 4th class
Paper App '02
Online App Apr '04

At time of Apr. '04 App:
7,300 TT
1,800 TPIC
600 TT B-737 F/O
Civilian
Former Commuter Check Airman
LCC F/O

FWIW almost everyone in my class was either a check airman or military equivalent of a check airman at some point in their career. My class had 20 total with 5 pure civilian and 15 military however, several of the military folks were from other airlines.

To all those waiting...keep the faith after all, they called me and what's even more surprising hired me.

Rythm,

Have you found any other books you can rec. to read that are more interesting than "The SWA Way". Looking for more interesting (nuts type) SWA reading material to pass the time while I am waiting for the call.

Another Book

I recommend a Passage to Southwest by Lamar Muse

Lamar is long gone a forgotten figure but his got his handprints all over Southwest. I met Sherry Phelps (Lamar's old secretary) who is talked about in the book about some of the anecdotes discussed and it was pretty fascinating. I think you will like it. It only covers the first 10-11 years of Southwest and Lamar's life but definitely interesting reading.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back