What am I striking for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EMB to CRJ

The union is going to mail out the strike vote to ASA pilots but what will we be striking for? Is it for the 200 70 seat pilots that will be left next year if we don't get replacements for the 700's that are going to skywest. Is it for the less that $4 an hour raise for a FO and loosing 11 or more airplanes so you will never upgrade to $60 and hour and get you time to move on.

From looking at these web boards and talking to people I know there are two camps those that say strike and get the pay raise or shut down ASA and those that see that you can not be out of line with the rest of the industry. With the improvements that have already been TA(scheduling is the big one, commuter get out of jail free card) and the better lines were are seeing things at ASA are not really that bad.

Every single one of you knew what ASA was paid before you walked in the door. We all hoped to me making 100K+ in the 5th year of flying at some main line but that did not happen. Even with Delta's 50%+ pay cut it is the only way you will get to six figures. There no way ALPA can get that for you on a RJ(unless you stay 18 years). You have to get you time and move on. As long as some airline will fly for a lower rate there is no way to hold on to a rate that is out of line with every one else.

Now that Skywest owns us there is nothing stopping them from easily just taking all of our 700's away. Then what good is the rate that we went on strike for? People will be on the street and every one that is still at ASA will move backwards. I don't understand how people can say they don't care if we grow or loose airplanes or shut down they must all be in the top 10% or 15% in the left seat that may still hold on to a good line if the 700 go or have some other skill that they can walk in the door and get 60k to 70k a year to work 12 days a month.

While I don't understand that is how ever there view. Does ALPA and the MEC/CNC have your view? If you vote yes for a strike you are letting them put you on strike with out any future input from you for what is best for the union, and that may or may not be what is best for you. I don't ask that you agree with me but I do ask that you really think about what you would be striking for and who it would benefit when doing that strike ballot.

There is nothing ALPA can do to stop the "race to the bottom" unless there was one union for all regional airlines or every pilot group was doing there contract at the exact time. It is far to easy to get some one else to do the flying. If we go on strike to prove a point and become the highest paid will all loose in the end. Skywest will simply take all out airplanes away and ASA will slowly be gone. All the time that we have put it will be gone.

There are hundreds of reason why SKY inc would want the 700 and 900 planes flown by the lower paid pilots who fly both the 200 and 700. Can any of you or ALPA give one reason why they would have ASA pilots fly the airplanes for a rate that is currently higher or one that is 11% percent beyond that?

People say SKY inc will do what they want with there airplanes no matter what the pilots do. If we were paid the same or for the sake of argument less, had the same cost structure as SKY airlines why would they move the airplanes to SKY airlines? Again just think before you vote and if you would be happy or can live with what we currently have and the improvements that have been TA'ed, get some more airplanes so you can upgrade or get a better schedule then email the union and let them know.

Last edited:
Good points, but please use paragraphs.

I hope the best whichever way the vote goes for y'all.

We mean nothing and it bothers me to come to work for a company that really doesn't care about the pilots. This post says it all, give in.

By the way upgrading and getting a better schedule doesn't work that fast. If you want schedule you are better off as an FO.

EMB to CRJ said:
The union is going to mail out the strike vote to ASA pilots but what will we be striking for? Is it for the 200 70 seat pilots that will be left next year if we don't get replacements for the 700's that are going to skywest. Is it for the less that $4 an hour raise for a FO and loosing 11 or more airplanes so you will never upgrade to $60 and hour and get you time to move on.

From looking at these web boards and talking to people I know there are two camps those that say strike and get the pay raise or shut down ASA and those that see that you can not be out of line with the rest of the industry. With the improvements that have already been TA(scheduling is the big one, commuter get out of jail free card) and the better lines were are seeing things at ASA are not really that bad.

Every single one of you knew what ASA was paid before you walked in the door. We all hoped to me making 100K+ in the 5th year of flying at some main line but that did not happen. Even with Delta's 50%+ pay cut it is the only way you will get to six figures. There no way ALPA can get that for you on a RJ(unless you stay 18 years). You have to get you time and move on. As long as some airline will fly for a lower rate there is no way to hold on to a rate that is out of line with every one else.

Now that Skywest owns us there is nothing stopping them from easily just taking all of our 700's away. Then what good is the rate that we went on strike for? People will be on the street and every one that is still at ASA will move backwards. I don't understand how people can say they don't care if we grow or loose airplanes or shut down they must all be in the top 10% or 15% in the left seat that may still hold on to a good line if the 700 go or have some other skill that they can walk in the door and get 60k to 70k a year to work 12 days a month.

While I don't understand that is how ever there view. Does ALPA and the MEC/CNC have your view? If you vote yes for a strike you are letting them put you on strike with out any future input from you for what is best for the union, and that may or may not be what is best for you. I don't ask that you agree with me but I do ask that you really think about what you would be striking for and who it would benefit when doing that strike ballot.

There is nothing ALPA can do to stop the "race to the bottom" unless there was one union for all regional airlines or every pilot group was doing there contract at the exact time. It is far to easy to get some one else to do the flying. If we go on strike to prove a point and become the highest paid will all loose in the end. Skywest will simply take all out airplanes away and ASA will slowly be gone. All the time that we have put it will be gone.

There are hundreds of reason why SKY inc would want the 700 and 900 planes flown by the lower paid pilots who fly both the 200 and 700. Can any of you or ALPA give one reason why they would have ASA pilots fly the airplanes for a rate that is currently higher or one that is 11% percent beyond that?

People say SKY inc will do what they want with there airplanes no matter what the pilots do. If we were paid the same or for the sake of argument less, had the same cost structure as SKY airlines why would they move the airplanes to SKY airlines? Again just think before you vote and if you would be happy or can live with what we currently have and the improvements that have been TA'ed, get some more airplanes so you can upgrade or get a better schedule then email the union and let them know.

Great another *************************

EMB to CRJ said:

Wow, great post...NOT! Why don't we all just agree to work for free and then you can upgrade right away?? Will that make ya happy????????????

EMBtoCRJ,

Are you for real?

Lets see 12 posts?

What mgmt BOZO is this?

701EV

I talked to 4 pilots today that intend to vote no. One 700 captain said he would lose more in a week on strike than the paycut that is proposed. Is it worth it? I don't think so.

Management types

Aaahhh ok, management pukes, that's enough now. Gow crawl back into the GO. What, are you all getting nervous with the vote coming up? Lean back and enjoy....it has been a long time coming...Now it is our turn to show you our true strength in numbers and percentage!

EMB to CRJ said:

Every single one of you knew what ASA was paid before you walked in the door.

Yep, we did. And now they want to cut that amount by a minimum of 10% for EVERY PILOT HERE. More for some. Sorry, that is not acceptable to me. Actually I'm not sorry. It's not acceptable. I love flying, and I actually like doing it for ASA. I don't, however, like doing it for a management "team" that is so far removed from reality that they actually think they are the reason behind the companies success.

Good luck you guys, I hope that the communication channels between the pilot group and the MEC are up and running!

Latest resources

Back