• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wham! Help! Landings stink!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You 've got a lot of good advice and suggestions. Here is my .02 cents.
If you master slow flight and and power-off stalls in the landing configuration you will make good landings all the time, airspeed control and the correct pitch attitude should be more of your concern.
Next time you going flying practice slow flight and power-off stalls, and then come back for some T&G's you will see a big improvement on your ldgs.
Good Luck !!
Keep us posted

Want to know something strange? When I didn't fly for about 3 or 4 weeks due to the 9/11 tragedy and bad weather, I came back and had the BEST landings ever! :confused:

Not flying and good landings

It's odd, but sometimes you do make your best landings when you haven't flown in a while. Maybe you hit a learning plateau. I think it has to do with your mind's subconscious assimilating and understanding new concepts. Learning how to land is new for you. Sometimes the harder and more determined you are at learning something the poorer you do. If you take a time out and relax, sometimes, all of a sudden, what you're trying to do makes sense.

I haven't flown an airplane in eight years. I guess that if I would start again all my flying will be to better than ATP standards and I'll nail each landing. :D

Last edited:
A10

Hey guys I would give all my hours to have the priveledge of being a hog driver. The military boys may not have the "hours" but believe me for every hour "military" they have it is worth 5.0 hours civilian of stick time. When my "military" time came the averge guy in Vietnam was coming back in a body bag. I did everything I could(with the exeption of going to Canada) to keep from going to the military. Over 75% of all the guys I fly with are all ex-military, most special ops guys, all I can do is lustfully listen to their stories. Happy flying. You get those landings down yet? :D

I use the full stall method when landing small aircraft, which requires looking to the left as the nose is raised, and the view over the nose becomes blocked. Some aircraft like the C-182, that have a wide CG range, and when landing with a forward CG require that you have the yoke all the way back to the stop or the nose wheel will contact the runway first. Also if you use the full stall method your touch down speed may be lower so you have less wear and tear on the aircraft, and use less runway. Transitioning to taildraggers will be easier due to most landings are the full stall type, looking out the left side. At night I look to the left using the runway lights for heighth reference. If you have a engine failure, or are landing on a really tight strip you maybe better prepared if you parctice full stall, yoke all the way back landings even on long runways. Remember approach speed is based on your weight, when flying solo use the low end of the approach range from the manual, and if heavy use the mid to upper range. Also I like to keep the float part of the landing to about 3-4 seconds, when doing touch and goes adjust your final approach speed to adjust your float (Foot or less above the runway).

Latest resources

Back