• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jester757

Ah, look... Budwiser has offened Joe:

AIRTRAN UNHAPPY WITH

“MR. DISCOUNT AIRLINE PILOT GUY”

(AJC) AirTran Airways is considering dropping Anheuser-Busch products from its flights because of a radio ad that makes fun of pilots for discount airlines. "Mr. Discount Airline Pilot Guy," an announcer says, "your minimal experience flying a plane will never land you at a reputable airline. Luckily, you don't work for one." The ad also questions the safety of low-cost carriers. "Sure, we're concerned for our lives," the announcer says. "Just not as concerned as saving nine bucks on a round-trip ticket to Fort Myers" — one of AirTran's destinations. AirTran CEO Joe Leonard sent a letter to his counterpart at Anheuser-Busch last week calling the ad "highly offensive" and demanding an apology.

Personally I would tell Joe to stick it, get a sense of humor and while he was at it get a life. I think Joe is drawing conclusions that this targeted at "his pilots." After all, AT pilots are making (at least until around Feb.) more than most other airline pilots which would make them a non low cost carrier. Now, after Feb when he comes to the pilots for a 43% plus paycut to match DAL, JBLU, NWA, UAL, USAir, etc. rates then they will once again be a low cost carrier. I bet he wants even more than that in concessions once he sees himself paying above industry average. Hang on over there....it is going to be fun ride - I have been on it for almost three years now and is sucks. You too can see how much fun it is living on half of what you used to make.

So the question is asked " How low will you go" and I am not refering to other things besides items contained in your contract - bunch of perverts...

jester757 said:
Ah, look... Budwiser has offened Joe:

AIRTRAN UNHAPPY WITH

“MR. DISCOUNT AIRLINE PILOT GUY”

(AJC) AirTran Airways is considering dropping Anheuser-Busch products from its flights because of a radio ad that makes fun of pilots for discount airlines. "Mr. Discount Airline Pilot Guy," an announcer says, "your minimal experience flying a plane will never land you at a reputable airline. Luckily, you don't work for one." The ad also questions the safety of low-cost carriers. "Sure, we're concerned for our lives," the announcer says. "Just not as concerned as saving nine bucks on a round-trip ticket to Fort Myers" — one of AirTran's destinations. AirTran CEO Joe Leonard sent a letter to his counterpart at Anheuser-Busch last week calling the ad "highly offensive" and demanding an apology.

Personally I would tell Joe to stick it, get a sense of humor and while he was at it get a life. I think Joe is drawing conclusions that this targeted at "his pilots." After all, AT pilots are making (at least until around Feb.) more than most other airline pilots which would make them a non low cost carrier. Now, after Feb when he comes to the pilots for a 43% plus paycut to match DAL, JBLU, NWA, UAL, USAir, etc. rates then they will once again be a low cost carrier. I bet he wants even more than that in concessions once he sees himself paying above industry average. Hang on over there....it is going to be fun ride - I have been on it for almost three years now and is sucks. You too can see how much fun it is living on half of what you used to make.

So the question is asked " How low will you go" and I am not refering to other things besides items contained in your contract - bunch of perverts...

huge thread on this already, actually quite a few of them. :beer:

but i do agree that people need to get a sense of humor, i thought it was f-ng hilarious.:laugh:

Rats...I should have searched first....oh well. Good to stir the pot!

jester757 said:
Rats...I should have searched first....oh well. Good to stir the pot!

it happens all the time, and stirring the pot is what this website is all about!!!!:laugh: cheers:beer:

jester757 said:
After all, AT pilots are making (at least until around Feb.) more than most other airline pilots which would make them a non low cost carrier. Now, after Feb when he comes to the pilots for a 43% plus paycut to match DAL, JBLU, NWA, UAL, USAir, etc. rates then they will once again be a low cost carrier. .

Hey, why let facts ruin a perfectly good rant? I mean, afterall, any idiot with a keyboard can write anything they want here, right?

Truth is, at our current rates of pay, AirTran is still the lowest cost provider, in terms of pre-fuel CASM, as was presented recently in our most recent SEC filings.

The pilots of AirTran have been polled extensively by an independent polling organization, and the results show that the pilot group is looking to further improve our pay and work rules, not go backwards.

We just missed breaking even in Q3 (Q2 and Q4 are our best quarters) and expect to post a profit for the year. Personally, I am expecting a strong Q4, and an improved contract.

We'll see who's right, "Mr. Airline Message Board Armchair CEO Guy" . . . . . me, or you. I'm betting on me.

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
Hey, why let facts ruin a perfectly good rant? I mean, afterall, any idiot with a keyboard can write anything they want here, right?

Truth is, at our current rates of pay, AirTran is still the lowest cost provider, in terms of pre-fuel CASM, as was presented recently in our most recent SEC filings.

The pilots of AirTran have been polled extensively by an independent polling organization, and the results show that the pilot group is looking to further improve our pay and work rules, not go backwards.

We just missed breaking even in Q3 (Q2 and Q4 are our best quarters) and expect to post a profit for the year. Personally, I am expecting a strong Q4, and an improved contract.

We'll see who's right, "Mr. Airline Message Board Armchair CEO Guy" . . . . . me, or you. I'm betting on me.

Hey Ty boy, I thought the commercial was a perfect bio of you. Why are you so sensative?

I wish all LCC pilots well in their career pursuits. And I respect all who made the decision to go that route. As pilots we all know it takes the same skill to land an RJ as it does a 767, and LCC pilots aren't any less qual'd that Legacy pilots and vice versa (in fact LCC guys are more proficient) But that ad was funny, anybody who was offended needs to grow some gnads and laugh a little.

The ad was funny. Get a sense of humor and over it. Can't wait to hear the "gay flight attendent" commercial. "Real sorta-men of almost-genius."

Actually, the B737 is harder to land than the L10. And the job flying the Ba31 was harder than anything I've done.

Ty Webb said:

And you say Delta guys are cool aid drinkers!!!! Keep dreaming and drinking the "AT Tea" if you think you are not going to get a huge pay cut like the rest of us! LOL. You are too optomistic. Quote CASM all day long, but how will you keep that CASM position if guys are flying the same size planes as you are for 43% less? All the legacy guys/girls have had all the extras we worked so hard for taken away which makes us "leaner" (if that is even a word) than the LCCs (you would be surprised how bankruptcy can cut debt -and you salary all at the same time). Why is Joe on record as saying "no deals" until he sees what the industry average works out to be? I can tell you it is not to see how much of a raise you are getting! Polls??? I have done three of those - and you think managment cares what you want in a paycheck vs what they are willing to give you? Come on now...

To be honest I hope you guys don't take a paycut. For years you have flown aircraft for less than others - now we are going to be undercutting you. If you take a paycut you will drag the industry average lower yet again. Can you see a pattern forming??

Ask yourself this question " Does my CEO (Joe) have my best intersest and the interest of my family as his concern?" If you answered yes, then you are truly a dreamer. Face the facts - the industry average pay for a 100 seat jet is now being set at $88 hr. for a 12 year Captian. ATs captains are making about $153 hr. Do you really think that Joe is going to give you more money when he sees this - especially when you look at his track record? Didn't he work with that really nice guy...what was his name..."Lorenzo" was it?

As far as betting I will take your bet. I will bet you anything that Joe comes at you guys looking for concesions - "Mr. Low Cost Pilot Guy"

And yes, any idiot can post here. Even idiots who have no clue when a storm is heading for them.

jester757 said:
]And yes, any idiot can post here. Even idiots who have no clue when a storm is heading for them.

Just because you got caught with your pants down doesn't mean everyone else will. Pull 'em up, dry your eyes, and go find someone else to cry to.

but how will you keep that CASM position if guys are flying the same size planes as you are for 43% less?

If you don't even understand CASM, then you have no business in this string.

Latest resources

Back