Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"We're the highest-paid narrow-body (jet) pilots in the free world," he said...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, it's a bad example of a "non-free-world" country paying more, as yes, both of those countries are free, but what it DOES do is prove the point that Southwest pilot ARE NOT the highest-paid narrow-body pilots in the free world, although they're close.

And Dumb Pilot is correct, our social services are FAR under-par compared to the rest of the world's industrialized nations and THEIR citizens know it. When's the last time you heard of a German, Dutch, or Scandinavian citizen sneaking across the border to work here in the U.S. illegally?

You may pay a lot in taxes (50-60%) but their pay is higher to begin with AND they don't have to pay medical insurance (government-provided) every month out of THEIR OWN money. I'd be more interested in seeing how many days off and how much vacation a KLM guy gets starting at year 1 compared to Southwest.

Not that we could go to work there, but it might put it in perspective. Southwest is a great career choice for U.S. citizens and, even if the pay rates only come up for COLA, it would STILL be one of the best-compensated pilot positions in the country.

My health care benefits are quite good and not one dime comes out of my paycheck. Don't need to live in Europe to get this, you cand still get it right here in the USA.

My health care benefits are quite good and not one dime comes out of my paycheck. Don't need to live in Europe to get this, you cand still get it right here in the USA.
Must be nice. I've never worked at any airline or charter company where your health bennies were completely covered.

The best was, surprisingly, at my last regional, Pinnacle, where family coverage was $60 per paycheck, or $120 a month. Here at AAI it's between $250 and 400 a month, depending on which plan you're in. :(

Good for you if you have free healthcare, but it's the exception, not the norm.

Hey dumb I don't care if SWA if PFT or not. I didn't pay for my type you did......I had 100% GI bill! By the way thanks for paying. This is the best job I have ever had. And as for all those losers that paid for their type to get to SWA, well I haven't met one yet. For some reason all the guys I fly with are happy and enjoying life. I am sure not paying for training and having daddy do it makes it much more meaningful and fulfilling and I am glad it worked for you. I am sure you will do the same when you grow up.

Being the highest paid pilots is like taking point in a three man patrol in the jungles of Viet Nam or flying just one last daylight sorte or Germany in a B-17. I hope someone steps up to the plate and exceeds us by a few percentage points. God knows you all deserve it and it I believe it would take some of the heat off us. :)

And as for all those losers that paid for their type to get to SWA, well I haven't met one yet.

Wow. I paid for my type so I could have options, does that make me a loser?

SWA was not my first choice, but I wanted to make sure I could provide for my family with the only skills I have in the only job I enjoy, except maybe powerboat racing.:)

I would have worked for SWA gladly, but I know I'm much happier where I am now.

I think it was extreamly important to keep all options on the table in a business as fickle as ours. Want a sure thing? Apply at at Disney World.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, United and Delta were fighting for the 'highest paid' title about 10yrs ago... We know how that worked out.

I am not anti PFT I was making fun of "dim," I mean dumb pilot who thinks bettering yourself is some kind of evil.

"We're the highest-paid narrow-body (jet) pilots in the free world," he said. "I wish we could beat our chests and say SWAPA did that, but it's only because events ... brought everyone else down below us."

SWAPA UNION LEADER

It should be pointed out that SWA did not ever make us the highest paid hourly pilots, everyone else's paycuts did. If every other pilot group out there does not exceed SWA payrates, then I can't understand their negotiating playbook.

Negotiate all that you can, as soon as you can

If I remember correctly, United and Delta were fighting for the 'highest paid' title about 10yrs ago... We know how that worked out.

It worked out quite well, given that those companies would have declared bankruptcy anyway, for reasons unrelated to pilot compensation. Had pilots been paid less, the "savings" would have simply been frittered away in fare wars and executive bonuses, which is what this industry always does with employee concessions. At least pilots had a few more years of good wages to build their own savings, and most were wise enough to do so.

Bill Gates was the richest guy in the world about ten years ago....We know that he still is.....

Latest resources

Back